PDA

View Full Version : Who decided the game install directory?

Entegy
05-12-2010, 06:22 PM
So who thought up of using the current user's documents directory to store steam games? This essentially multiplies the space taken by Steam files on multi-users systems. It's gonna be moved to a more public folder right? Like the public library folder?

Clanhelio
05-12-2010, 06:32 PM
You can try:
For the application, you can just drag it to your external drive. If you want to have your steam content on your external drive, you will need to make a symbolic link (ln) using Terminal. Basically you need the use the ln -s command to link the steam content to your external drive.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/172/create_a_symbolic_link_in_unix_solaris_linux/
It worked for me.

Entegy
05-12-2010, 08:08 PM
I am fully aware of symbolic links. Having to do such a thing is stupid though. The default should not be the current user directory. It's done right on Windows. /Library would have been a much better directory choice as it's a folder programs can use to give settings to all users.

Entegy
05-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Hmmm... Steam does place a folder in the current user's Library/Application Support folder. Looking in, these are the same files that under Windows, would be placed in the Steam install directory. Which means Steam Content is actually the steamapps folder! This makes it even more confusing as to why they would be separated in the first place and why were they placed in the current user's directories. Did I hear a rumour that Valve would change this?