PDA

View Full Version : How else love the amazing ""alt"+"tab" speed?

elmancho02
05-12-2010, 06:34 PM
I bet many of you have noticed the actual speed alt+tab actually brings you back to your desktop, its amazing!! Something to do with native resolution scaling? I don't know but hell is it sweet :D

Chucko815
05-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Really? I`ll try it out. Been wondering how to do that since I got portal.

zorinlynx
05-12-2010, 06:36 PM
I bet many of you have noticed the actual speed alt+tab actually brings you back to your desktop, its amazing!! Something to do with native resolution scaling? I don't know but hell is it sweet :D

You can do this under windows too. Add the launch options:

" -sw -noborder"

to the Source game of your choice. Then once in the game, set the resolution to match that of your desktop. This tells Source to start up in windowed mode, with no titlebar or border, and to center it perfectly on the screen. Looks identical to full screen but you an alt-tab out all you want.

This may cause some performance loss but I haven't noticed any on my hardware in TF2.

Chucko815
05-12-2010, 06:40 PM
(Off topic forgive me). How do I quit/sign out of steam?

Hawky
05-12-2010, 06:41 PM
(Off topic forgive me). How do I quit/sign out of steam?

To Quit Steam just press Apple+Q

To sign out, File>Change User

On topic;

Loving the alt+tab speed, its faster than my PC with better specs haha! Also it loads lovely and fast and map changing speeds are just insanely fast.

Fuzz Bucket
05-12-2010, 06:48 PM
It renders the overlay pretty useless.

Hawky
05-12-2010, 06:53 PM
It renders the overlay pretty useless.

Haha yeah didn't think of that, it does doesnt it lol.

Seph64
05-12-2010, 07:02 PM
I was pleasantly surprised that tabbing out the of game was faster in OSX by default than in Windows (by default), which took a lot longer and sometimes crashed the game.

Hawky
05-12-2010, 07:05 PM
I was pleasantly surprised that tabbing out the of game was faster in OSX by default than in Windows (by default), which took a lot longer and sometimes crashed the game.

I dont even bother alt tabbing on my PC if im running TF2 takes just under a minute to get to desktop, and i have a quad core with 4gb of ram on my PC, heh.

NSGod
05-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Portal isn't going fullscreen like most other Mac games do. I have a second monitor and it continues to display the Desktop with the windows of all other applications while the game plays on the main monitor (this is the same way games work on Windows, but is a little strange to see on the Mac side of things).

rbarris
05-13-2010, 12:29 AM
There are two independent variables/choices at work

a) should the game capture and change the operating resolution of any display, which prevents command-tab and other system generated overlays from working?

b) should the game black out / cover up secondary displays during play?

Currently we choose "no" to both. I could see adding a choice for "b" - no big deal.

However with respect to "a", the API's for capture and mode change are deprecated, we're trying to be future friendly with this technique, we're not going to go back to the old way.

darcagn
05-13-2010, 12:36 AM
All I have to say is that I'm glad it works this way. I'm an IM junkie and it makes it so much easier to continue to talk to people in iChat between certain times in games.

mtsmnds
05-13-2010, 05:47 AM
the "alt+tab" here works amazingly well. I feel no delay at all.

for me it is actually the way it was ever meant to be. the game is just an app running, no big deal. I don't know why in windows games have to mess up with resolution and rendering of the other stuff.

In this little time since release I've used a lot spaces and exposé while playing portal and it was awesome. to be perfect all that it's needing is that when using exposé [f3 key] you can see the actual game screen rendered. because, here at least, i get like a transparent space instead of game screen.

in a further note, I was pretty happy that cmd+tab and variants [stop calling alt+tab] worked well. I used to brag with my friends about the fast cmd+tab when playing in parallels, so its nice that it continues making sense.

fullmetalftw4
05-13-2010, 06:32 AM
I don't know why in windows games have to mess up with resolution and rendering of the other stuff.

Windows games change the resolution because people change the resolution of the game itself. changing the resolution of the game affects game performance. Most mac computers have similar hardware, so the games being ported to mac are built for mac hard ware. PCs have very different hard ware and not everything handles the same. Not all systems can handle the same things. Windows only changes resolution if you tell it to.

2befine
05-13-2010, 06:36 AM
Options+Tab works like magic! faster then 1 second... yah remember how it was at Windows...some time I was have to ctrl-alt_del ^_^

Fuzz Bucket
05-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Windows games change the resolution because people change the resolution of the game itself. changing the resolution of the game affects game performance. Most mac computers have similar hardware, so the games being ported to mac are built for mac hard ware. PCs have very different hard ware and not everything handles the same. Not all systems can handle the same things. Windows only changes resolution if you tell it to.
I think he is talking about how games on Windows would mess up stuff on your desktop if you ran the game in full screen in a different resolution.
Definitely annoying.

the.sooty
05-13-2010, 08:44 AM
I think he is talking about how games on Windows would mess up stuff on your desktop if you ran the game in full screen in a different resolution.
Definitely annoying.

This is, i believe, to do with switching between rendering engines on windows. Up to XP your desktop, and most desktop apps ran through the GDI, you then could do 3d overlays on top of that slowing things down. Much easier, and better performance, to switch the whole system to a 3d renderer, which caused the issues with task switching having to switch between graphics renderers as well as applications.

This shouldn't be as big an issue in vista/7 as the desktop and 3d renderers are now the same, but a lot may depend on the legacy xp support.

no_name
05-13-2010, 09:42 AM
The fast command+tab switching is real job saver ;)

EiNZTEiN
05-13-2010, 09:52 AM

Same here! I was just enjoying that last night while playing Portal and chatting with some buddies on iChat! Can't wait for Counter Strike Source now to alt+tab even more… :p

Frank C.
05-13-2010, 01:17 PM
There are two independent variables/choices at work

a) should the game capture and change the operating resolution of any display, which prevents command-tab and other system generated overlays from working?

b) should the game black out / cover up secondary displays during play?

Currently we choose "no" to both. I could see adding a choice for "b" - no big deal.

However with respect to "a", the API's for capture and mode change are deprecated, we're trying to be future friendly with this technique, we're not going to go back to the old way.

I'd like to formally request an option for a proper "kiosk" mode in fullscreen (you don't have to change resolution or use deprecated APIs to provide this functionality - it's all kosher on 10.6).

I can appreciate some folks wanting to have app switching enabled, but "app switching" on OS X encompasses a bunch of stuff that includes things like expose, spaces, and the dashboard. I have a couple mouse buttons, key-combos, and hot corners set to perform certain expose and spaces tasks that are part of my everyday desktop workflow, but some of these conflict with bindings I'd really like to use in-game. Personally when I load up a game I want to forget about the rest of the OS and just play!

The option to blank out secondary screens would also be helpful :) I don't mind if the current settings remain default, but some launch options would be nice!

mtsmnds
05-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Definitely annoying.

yes, that! and the blinky rerenderingly windows UI

thedreadedgman
05-13-2010, 09:45 PM

Huh...

Alt-Tab under Windows 7 on my 4GiB machine is instant... although my friend who's running a Single Core under Win XP complains sometimes...

Cmd-Tab under OS X appears to work great too...

Anyone with slow Alt-Tab performance under Windows, please pipe up with your Windows version and amount of RAM...

flipster103
05-13-2010, 09:57 PM
I feel ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ but when I tried to alt and tab out of Portal it didn't work. Could someone help me.

darcagn
05-13-2010, 11:20 PM
I feel ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ but when I tried to alt and tab out of Portal it didn't work. Could someone help me.

It's actually cmd+tab on Mac, not alt+tab. It's alt+tab on Windows.

Kyle6477
05-13-2010, 11:25 PM
All I have to say is that I'm glad it works this way. I'm an IM junkie and it makes it so much easier to continue to talk to people in iChat between certain times in games.

I'm with you on this one. I am an iChat fiend.

nano....
05-14-2010, 12:52 AM
I've also noticed that the OS X scaling method works wonders for aliasing; usually I cannot tolerate non-native resolutions on an LCD, but here, it still looks brilliant.

yk42b
05-14-2010, 04:10 AM
Spaces works great too ! I was amazed of the speed, portal was loading and I've been able to switch to another desktop instantly !

FrostGiant
05-14-2010, 04:22 AM
Portal isn't going fullscreen like most other Mac games do. I have a second monitor and it continues to display the Desktop with the windows of all other applications while the game plays on the main monitor (this is the same way games work on Windows, but is a little strange to see on the Mac side of things).

My second display isn't working as expected during game either... Have you found any solution?

Here's my thread for it: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267952

)___)

On the note about Alt + Tab, I've noticed that I can't click anything on it's interface? That must be explained by the rendering i guess... but that's kind of a pointless feature to have then, isn't it?

thevan
06-17-2010, 08:57 PM
For me, source games in general have always taken a long time, TF2 is the definitely the worst though; it takes minutes sometimes, sometimes have to ctrl-alt-delete to close it and get back to the desktop (and the sound loops continuously during this process). This is on Windows 7 64 and 4GB of ram.

I really do think it's something to do with source, as non-source games alt-tab just fine. I bet that -sw -noborder command would do the trick, it's just disabled by default for compatibility and performance reasons? I don't know. Most games don't act as Windows on Windows (unless you tell them to) but they still alt-tab just fine (except for source games).

Cjelli
06-17-2010, 08:59 PM
would be nice if the sound also stopped when I tab out.

edit: also, NSGod, I like that I can still see my second monitor display while ingame. I can see chats without having to tab out.

SweetMercury
06-18-2010, 01:01 PM

I'm also really impressed with the way the Source games play nice with OSX in terms of capture behavior. Some other games (Civ IV for instance) are not as nice.

This is the way it should be done, I think. An option for handling second monitors will probably be helpful, but not necessary.

Fuzz Bucket
06-18-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm also really impressed with the way the Source games play nice with OSX in terms of capture behavior. Some other games (Civ IV for instance) are not as nice.

This is the way it should be done, I think. An option for handling second monitors will probably be helpful, but not necessary.

There's no reason for it not to. :P

I use the system screen shot functionality, now.

demigod_mac
06-18-2010, 01:43 PM
I actually miss this Mac "feature" when I play Source games on Windows.

Windows does not handle alt-tabbing back and forth between the games well. At all.

zorinlynx
06-18-2010, 08:37 PM
I actually miss this Mac "feature" when I play Source games on Windows.

Windows does not handle alt-tabbing back and forth between the games well. At all.

Look at my response earlier in this thread. You can get alt-tabbing to work great under Windows too.

Fuzz Bucket
06-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Look at my response earlier in this thread. You can get alt-tabbing to work great under Windows too.

That's not technically "full screen." :P

Kinda the same effect, though.