PDA

View Full Version : steam updates every time i open it

lacrymose
05-12-2010, 10:33 PM
very strange.. steam is updating itself every time i run it (the full 33MB download). each time it completes the update/download and then runs successfully, but then if i quit and try to run steam again, it downloads the whole thing all over again, as if its the first time i'm running it. i'm running it from applications. any ideas?

thanks

lacrymose
05-12-2010, 10:49 PM
ok after playing around a bit more i've found that the update doesn't actually finish.. it gets to about 80%, then steam launches over the top... with the update progress bar window still open underneath. however, it doesn't continue updating for some reason... just sits there at 80% with steam also now running. obviously this means that when i start steam again the next time, it will download this update again....
not really sure how to get around this

Darksporks
05-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Same issue here.

ZerothAngel
05-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Same exact issue here. I tried deleting the *.blob files (as was suggested in another thread) and messing with the file permissions. Nothing worked.

Out of curiosity, are either of you using FileVault and/or a non-admin user?

lacrymose
05-13-2010, 02:48 AM
Same exact issue here. I tried deleting the *.blob files (as was suggested in another thread) and messing with the file permissions. Nothing worked.

Out of curiosity, are either of you using FileVault and/or a non-admin user?

nope, no filevault, and i am admin

MysteryHam
05-13-2010, 03:50 AM
I get a verification window stay open after launch, but closing the window doesn't seem to affect Steam at all.

Pilotclan9404
05-13-2010, 03:50 AM
removed the blob files

Kaoro
05-13-2010, 04:37 AM
Steam doesn't update EVERY time I open it, but it has done the 33mb update more than once. This happened after I shut down the computer for many hours and then turned it back on.

Unless there were multiple updates released since the official release yesterday, I think something might be wrong.

lacrymose
05-13-2010, 05:23 AM
ok i think i have found a solution, or at least it is working for me after several cycles of quitting/running steam with no issues:

quit steam
applications => right click steam => show package contents
navigate to contents/MacOS/package
delete everything in the package folder, as this seems to be where the updates are stored as they are downloaded
run steam, it will update
this time it should complete the update successfully, all the way to the end. if not, repeat the process by deleting the contents of the package folder again, then run steam

before this, it would update every single time. after this, working perfectly for me :)

l4r55m00k
05-13-2010, 05:27 AM
Maybe i have a suggestion for you guys... It worked fine over here... I restart my mac, and when it start up again i hold the shift key down (safe start). I started steam again and everything worked fine. And it still works, also after several restarts (without the shift).

lacrymose
05-14-2010, 04:35 AM
mine has stopped working again. also, now it wont even update... the update/download bar gets to the end, then starts again...gets a small part of the way through, then says i need to be connected to the internet to update! which i am...and its not a firewall/router issue. argh