PDA

View Full Version : Files in root directory?

archagon
05-13-2010, 01:23 AM
It seems like Steam puts a bunch of folders in the root directory: friends, graphics, opt, osx32, etc. Isn't that what the Library folder is for?

archagon
05-13-2010, 03:02 AM
Hmm... that's odd. The same files and folders are in the Steam application package. I deleted them from the root directory and Steam didn't break. I think they must have been left over from a failed update or something.

In any case, the root directory is apparently being used as a temp directory to package the Steam.app. (This explains why it needed the admin password when it was updating.)

Fuzz Bucket
05-13-2010, 06:41 AM
Did you happen to install the client from the DMG, or did you "hack" one together?

archagon
05-13-2010, 07:31 AM
No, I used the DMG.

A few times after I installed, Steam quit unexpectedly and then seemed to redownload and recompile the latest update.

ppiixx
05-13-2010, 11:12 AM
The same thing happened here.

I installed steam by dragging the bundle from the .dmg to ~/Games/

Steam crashed at some point and the next time it loaded it prompted for my admin password so it could install a update.

At that point it dumped loads of files into /

ReubenF
05-13-2010, 12:28 PM
You can go ahead and delete all of the files steam created there. This is a bug that should be fixed in the next update. It was happening in some cases if Steam crashed and you clicked "reopen" on the "Unexpected error" dialog.

fleshweasel
05-13-2010, 12:38 PM
I notice the dock icon is really pixelated as Portal closes.

archagon
05-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the update, ReubenF! I really appreciate it.

CMong
05-15-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm still getting this problem, I launched steam and everything launches steam but it keeps trying to find an update, then it downloads and extracts everything to the root of my hard drive while steam is running.