PDA

View Full Version : I'm on the fence of buying, help me out...

dragonuminator
05-13-2010, 10:07 AM
... and quick! before the sale ends:D

So i downloaded the demo, played it for 2 hours, did some quests, and overall it was fun. I got excited over the loot, and some of the bosses, elite w/e monsters were awsome, but my concern is, even with randomly generated dungeons, doesn't this game get very repetitive?
like, do you stay in the town torchlight the entire time?

so if you could awnser those question, plus give me some other pros n cons, i would appreciate it very much.

heretic5
05-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Sadly you do stay in the one town the entire game. It's a dungeon crawler, so yeah it can get repetitive but there are a lot of great monsters to fight, tough bosses, great level design, great loot, maps that take you to special dungeons, and that all helps mix it up. Not to mention there are a ton of mods (very easy to install) that can alter the experience if you want. If you really enjoyed the demo and the lack of multiplayer doesn't bother you, I say get it, it's only $10.

dragonuminator
05-13-2010, 10:22 AM
okay thanks, any other opinions?

Cldmani
05-13-2010, 10:51 AM
I was somewhat on the fence about this game too, but decided to go with my guts and purchase the game, mind you I didn't even know there was a demo >.<

To be honest, I'm glad I decided to purchase the game. Its a lot of fun, and I don't even know what the ♥♥♥♥ I'm doing, lol. Sure the dungeon aspect might get repetitive, but killing hordes of enemies never gets old.

I think you should consider buying this;I doubt you'll regret it, from gameplay and value point of view, especially since its only $10.

Selfdestructive
05-13-2010, 11:07 AM
I bought this like 2 weeks ago for $19.99 and havnt regretted it, im still playing it and just hit lvl 100 today, the main quest dungeon is 35 floors deep but once you finish the main quest another dungeon is available and i dunno if that one has a fixed amount of floors, it is also much thougher than the main quest (to be expected).

an das mentioned there are the scrolls with instanced dungeons.
This is by far the best Hack 'n Slash game i have played.

dragonuminator
05-13-2010, 11:21 AM
ok, now you guys are really pushing me to the buy side :D

i'll wait for some more opinions before buying.

CannibalBob
05-13-2010, 11:42 AM
It's a hack'n'slash game, so of course it gets repetitive.

Doesn't mean it's not fun, though.

filipeg165
05-13-2010, 11:51 AM
I think its an awesome game while you wait for Diablo 3, I bought it a while ago when it was on another sale for $10 also and I don't regret it at all.

It sure gets repetitive but its that kind of game that you're tired and can't play anymore but says: aw come on, just one more dungeon!

Also when you get to higher level dungeons and got all your magic and high level weapons its just a non-stop killing spree, really rewarding!

MithranArkanere
05-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I wish there was a mod to travel to other regions, but it seems that's it. A Town, two deep dungeons and infinite random dungeons, plus anything mods add.

dragonuminator
05-13-2010, 12:16 PM
how do these random dungeons work? i've only been in the main quest one and 2 dungeons that some guy called hatched opens portal for. are those the random ones?

darkbark916
05-13-2010, 12:22 PM
The basic point that you need to look at right now is that the game is only $10 on Steam. You need to ask yourself the question, do I like dungeon crawlers? If you do, get the game. It's at least 20 hours of enjoyment right off the bat, with the added pull of the editor so you could make your own classes and reskin the characters, if not make your own levels.

Overall, the game is well worth buying.

Askjosh
05-13-2010, 12:23 PM
except for the boss fights almost all dungeons rooms are randomly generated. Also besides the quests you get from Hatched you can get Maps that will open portals to other dungeons and for even more variety you can use the mods that other people have made to add more maps and tile sets.

Selfdestructive
05-13-2010, 12:28 PM
except for the boss fights almost all dungeons rooms are randomly generated. Also besides the quests you get from Hatched you can get Maps that will open portals to other dungeons and for even more variety you can use the mods that other people have made to add more maps and tile sets.

Hatchet is not the only one giving quests, there is another dungeon that you can acces once you have finished th emain quest and its ATLEAST 100 floors deep cuz thats the dungeon where you can get the DEEP Delver achievement (100 floors) and there are 2 guys giving quests on that dungeon

Its far from just 20 hours like the guy above said, its maybe 20 for the main quest but allot more for the whole game, for my char to reach lvl 100 took me 58 hours, and im not retiring it yet cuz im using it to get more unique items and transmute more embers for when i do retire it.

dragonuminator
05-13-2010, 12:33 PM
what do you mean by retiring?

filipeg165
05-13-2010, 01:05 PM
When you "retire" a character, he/she won't be playable anymore, it will appear as a ghost on your list. You can also select only ONE item to pass it on to your new character you'll create. Its requirements will be lowered so your new character can equip it earlier than your first one.

You also get some benefits on Fame, like you start on level 2 for the first character you retire, 3 for the next and so on.

Selfdestructive
05-13-2010, 01:38 PM
yes you can choose 1 item but thats just to make it a heirloom, remember there is the Shared Stash and there you can put up to 42 items!

And hence armor/weapons and embers will go there when i retire my char, all will go to my new char.

MithranArkanere
05-13-2010, 01:38 PM
And the item can be the same again and again, and the bonuses and lowered requirements it gets in the process WILL stack, making it a really cool starter weapon.

franjrp92
05-13-2010, 01:40 PM
It's extremely replayable and with a very active modding community. Also, the game's autosaving system and simple yet deep gameplay make it an excellent choice for quick fun when you don't have much time.
And it gets way better and addictive once you reach lvl 30 or so...

Weaver
05-13-2010, 02:33 PM
I've put about 40 very enjoyable hours into the game, and I bought it for only $5! I would gladly pay the $10 they're selling for now.

If you like hack n' slash action RPG games then you'll like this. If you were already bored with the demo... I can't say you won't be bored with the main game.

Torchlight does a pretty good job of varying up the environments to keep things kind of fresh.

Vrynix
05-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Iīm still having a lot of fun with it after putting over 75 hours into the game and losing my first 2 characters after a problem with uninstalling some mods. At this point itīs nothing I use my thinking cap for, but itīs still fun to relax and slay some dragons.
As far as my understanding goes with the game: if you liked the demo it's worth the normal price, so the special offer only sweetens it up.The game has its faults but is a lot of fun nonetheless.

Jacst
05-13-2010, 07:32 PM
For crying out loud it is only 10 bucks!
Where can you get such a game for this price!
Enough said!

ThanatoZ
05-13-2010, 08:43 PM
For crying out loud it is only 10 bucks!
Where can you get such a game for this price!
Enough said!

Torchlight is a good game to get on sale, and the mods mean you can make it do pretty much whatever you want. However, for your $20, Titan Quest is a much better buy.

Props to those who are enjoying it on sale, however

aspex
05-13-2010, 11:36 PM
Sadly you do stay in the one town the entire game. It's a dungeon crawler, so yeah it can get repetitive but there are a lot of great monsters to fight, tough bosses, great level design, great loot, maps that take you to special dungeons, and that all helps mix it up. Not to mention there are a ton of mods (very easy to install) that can alter the experience if you want. If you really enjoyed the demo and the lack of multiplayer doesn't bother you, I say get it, it's only $10.

How hard would it have been to create another town -.-

It's pretty repetative game and the thought of being stuck in the same town is lame(i was waiting for ages to option to another town). HOWEVER this game is very much so worth $10. You'll get a good couple of weeks out of it, atleast.

dragonuminator
05-14-2010, 01:46 AM
I've got just 1 more questions: does a good character rely on a build that leaves no room for customisation? like do I have to infest certain amounts of points in say strength to be able to play the game?

o and i have bought it happy me :D

Kador01
05-14-2010, 02:23 PM
One tip, do NOT play on Normal difficulty, it's far too easy.

I like Torchlight far more than Titan Quest. It's a lot more polished while TQ feels very buggy and looks crappy. Titan Quest does have a much larger world, however. I got both of them very cheaply on sale. $5 for Torchlight and I think $7.50 for TQ and the expansion during the Holiday sale.

SayaSe
05-14-2010, 06:29 PM
I like Torchlight far more than Titan Quest. It's a lot more polished while TQ feels very buggy and looks crappy.
Bwuh? If Titan Quest looks like Aion then Torchlight looks like World of Warcraft. And do use the fanmade patch: http://www.titanquest.net/tq-forum/threads/29712-REL-Bugfix-patch-1.17

discosilly
05-15-2010, 04:40 AM
It was fun for me for the first day or two, about 15 hours. Then it got pretty boring and I just played because I wanted to level to 100 (only got to 71 on my highest character).

I played through it twice. Now I only play maybe once a week for a few minutes.

I don't know how easily you get bored of games or your gaming preferences, but for me, it was fun while it lasted, but to me, there is no longevity.

If you have the extra $10 to spend, sure pick it up. It's a pretty good game.

Just my opinion.

washu73
05-15-2010, 05:34 AM
This is easily one of the best 10 buck games there is right now.
It is dungeon crawling hack'n'slash at its best.

There is even a somewhat interesting storyline(for a hack'n'slash game) if you like that kind of thing.

SayaSe
05-17-2010, 03:03 PM
There is even a somewhat interesting storyline(for a hack'n'slash game) if you like that kind of thing.
Torchlight has LESS story than Diablo II. That's quite a feat.

Luric
05-18-2010, 10:16 AM
I would click the Buy button quickly. $9.99 is a great price for this game.

Pros:
-Clickfest similar in concept to Diablo, Diablo 2, and TitanQuest.
-Gigantic wellspring of magic items and the ability to modify them through gems, the enchanter, and enchantment shrines.
-Retirement of a character that has finished the game. Google this and read up on it. I like the concept and it's executed very well in this game adding an incentive to play a new character with an heirloom item of your choosing and bonus fame (i.e. skill point(s) at the start of that new character)
-True difficulty levels. Easy is truly easy. Hard is where you will probably want to be at if you've played RPGs before. Very Hard is truly insane.
-Retirement opens the Shadow Vault which is an endless dungeon that scales to your current character level. Killing the final boss opens this for all characters not just your descendent.
-Every character receives a pet dog or cat which can carry items for you and even return to town to sell for you so you can keep crawling through the dungeon.
-Very intuitive interface. Takes virtually no time to get the hang of where things are and what keys do what.
-Visually beautiful and smooth depending on your system.

Cons:
-Current version (as of May 18, 2010) has an issue with the Steam Client which recognizes your full version as Demo. Valve is working on a solution but no eta yet. Take heart that one is coming.
-Repetitive. Some levels are identical only with the 'up' and 'down' reversed.
-Not currently multiplayer however Runic did state they are going to release a multiplayer patch, an MMO game based on Torchlight or perhaps both. There are mods that allow TCP/IP or LAN multiplayer but I have not as yet tried them out.
-Classes are limited to three unless you install mods of some kind. Mac users may not have access to these due to the unavailability of TorchED, the Torchlight Editor.
-Isometric view has a zoom in and out function but, and this may be just me, it doesn't zoom out quite far enough for my taste.

Soodle
05-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Im not finished with this game untill i beat it on very hard hardcore.

tdh5609
05-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Anyone on the fence about this game: buy it. I have had more fun with this $20 gem than some of the recent $50-$60 AAA titles.

You're not going to put in hundreds of hours and become completely immersed, but you'll have a hell of a time beating the crap out of monsters and collecting shiny loot.

However, if you never liked the Diablo games or games like Sacred1 & 2 or Titan's Quest, then I would stay far away.

Kador01
05-19-2010, 06:58 PM
-Not currently multiplayer however Runic did state they are going to release a multiplayer patch, an MMO game based on Torchlight or perhaps both.

WHERE, pray tell, has Runic EVER claimed there would be a multiplayer patch? That is patently false.

There will be a free to play MMORPG with micropayments. That has always been the plan, and they have consistently denied that there would EVER be a multiplayer patch.