PDA

View Full Version : Steam always re-installs

LoLskilled87
05-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Every time I open up Steam once I turn my Mac back on, it has to install over 33,000+ KB of stuff. It's doing this very often, what gives!?

Blacksyke
05-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Same here. Everything's working fine when it's finished updating and logs me in, but if I quit Steam and restart it, it wants to re-download 33mb of data. I'm wondering if it's saving it somewhere bad, but then again it's apparently using the downloaded data just fine. Something nefarious is clearly afoot.

ReubenF
05-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Where did you install Steam to? Does it ask for administrator access before it updates?

pixelfrenzy
05-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Same thins happened to me.. relaunching steam starts updating all over as if its a fresh install.
I dragged-dropped steam to applications folder as prompted. [i have only one user account on my mac with Admin rights.]

@ReubenF
No it doesn't ask for any admin access .. it just updates everytime before logging in.

I live with 5 of my friends who all have Macs, and we have download restrictions.. so this constant update every time is kinda expensive for us :P

grOOvstEIn
05-13-2010, 11:13 PM
This happens to me as well. Using an admin account on OSX 10.6.3. Steam is installed to Applications\Steam.

mitch_mac
05-13-2010, 11:22 PM
SOLUTION:
I also had that problem !
It will an BUG how steam handles+check if the STEAM app runs NOT first time.
FirstTime run means that steam download much and installs itself.
All other starts (runs) are different - it only looks for updated (STEAM and games).
That BUG didnt update the FirstRun flag YES(1) for first intall to NO (0) for normal updates + gaming usage.

Open following file in TEXTEDIT
/Users/xxxxx/Library/Application Support/Steam/config/config.vdf (xxxx = your user name)
change "FirstRun" "1" into "FirstRun" "0"
Save that config file (overwrites old)
After that STEAM works in that case like it should :)

Dont change that FirstRun item before you really had run it at least one time !
If your FirstRun item is already "0" (NO) then there maybe other problems/bugs in this part of steam.

LoLskilled87
05-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Where did you install Steam to? Does it ask for administrator access before it updates?

I installed Steam to my applications like it told me to. No it does not ask for Administrator access.

Acook90
05-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Hey I also Found a Fix (though it now seemed to be temp) I removed the App Support folder then run steam again and it worked but after I downloaded Portal it started again!! I'll try the above method and Hope for the best!

Funny thing is i remembered having troubles just like this when Steam first came out for PC, same rubbish that turned me off it so I hope after they get a bit more user testing it becomes stable

EDIT : Didn't work at all guys, I installed everything correctly, i have admin privileges, Steam doesn't change the config file or anything back to 1, I might just let it do the update again this once and see what happens...

EDIT 2: Still No go after letting the update run, The update only ever runs to about 80% then goes to validating and never really completes (it runs in another window while steam still works correctly on top. I even tried to get it to run an update from inside of steam and the exact same problem

mitch_mac
05-14-2010, 12:35 AM
/Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/Steam/config/config.vdf
Have you FirstRUN = "1" or "0" ?
If "1" then edit that to "0".

Acook90
05-14-2010, 01:01 AM
Yep changed as you said, Funnily enough it worked after I downloaded the updates a second time??? Weird but it works so I really don't mind!

Blacksyke
05-14-2010, 03:20 AM
Altering config.vdf did not fix the problem for me. 10.6.3, admin user account, Steam has never asked me for administrator rights, Steam is in /Applications.

sammehd87
05-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Altering config.vdf didn't help me either. My update got to 29,572/33,121 before the login window popped up.

Would finding the download URL in the Console.app (in Utilities) and manually downloading it help? I had to do that for earlier updates.

Ninja0Pain
05-14-2010, 12:26 PM

I am a mac admin and its like it only updates for that time it runs... please try to figure out how to stop this and make it so it only downloads the updates once... Also it won't let me get the morse codes on the radio in Portal, trust me I've seen vids on where they are at and they don't work.

ReubenF
05-14-2010, 03:24 PM
No news on this, unfortunately. I was asking where you installed to and if it asked for administrator access just to try to narrow it down -- I thought maybe if you guys had installations that weren't in the majority then I should try looking at the code that handles those cases. But it sounds like you guys have very standard setups.

I appreciate mitch_mac's effort, but I don't think changing that value in config.vdf will work.

One thing I'll note is that we have pushed out an update every day since release so far. Is it possible you guys have just been seeing our regular updates? Or does it update twice in a row if you launch Steam, let the update finish, and then close and reopen Steam? When did you first notice the problem?

A possible cause of the problem you guys are seeing is if the update fails for some reason, but Steam manages to launch itself anyway, then it will need to update again the next time you launch it. That *shouldn't* happen, but if it did for some reason, it could explain it. If there is anything indicating this in the Console application, you can send that to me or post it here and I'll take a look at it. Another explanation would be if something is altering files in your Steam application, but that seems unlikely to me. I'll continue to monitor this thread for any new information that might help me find the problem.

This has also made me realize we should communicate our updates better, so we are going to try to do that.

dirk0gently
05-14-2010, 03:28 PM
I know that steam tries to reinstall itself if there is something wrong with one of the files inside of it. Such as a new icon, it will download and replace the entire contents of the steam app if something like that happens, it might even be a permissions thing that is triggering it.

Ninja0Pain
05-14-2010, 04:07 PM
The Portal finally updated for me... :)

Exaiphnes
05-14-2010, 06:45 PM
The update is always the same size for me, 33,121 KB.
http://cl.ly/82c6912d5b5b37dcf075
When I restart steam, same thing happens, have to wait 10-20 minutes for the update to finish before I can play any games. The file change didn't help me either :(

Blacksyke
05-14-2010, 09:28 PM
As of now (Saturday 5/15), Steam no longer downloads 33mb of data every time it launches. I ran Steam tonight, and allowed it to download an update, and from then on the problem appears resolved. It would appear one of the recent new client versions has fixed this issue for me.

ReubenF
05-14-2010, 11:23 PM
If anyone is still having this issue, it may be helpful if you click "About Steam" in the Steam menu bar to see if it's actually running the updated version, or if it's downloading but somehow launching without applying the update.

Ciabs
05-15-2010, 12:37 AM
some new infos:

I'm on a 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, with 4GB of DD3 RAM and using the discrete GeForce 9600GT 256MB GPU;

I'm on a fully updated 10.6.3 MacOsX, with full administrator rights.

Up to yesterday I had the 33MB update downloading after every startup of the laptop; curiously enough it seemed that if I just rebooted the machine to test if the problem would manifest itself again, it wouldn't, while if I waited the whole night and rebooted at morning, it would download again;

yesterday I tried the "firstrun" method of solving; at that point the value on my config.vdf file showed "firstrun=1", I changed that to "0", tried a reboot just to be sure, and nothing happened; still since I experimented before that kind of "lag" in the manifestation of the problem, I waited for today to see if something had actually changed;

something has indeed changed, but I'd need someone to confirm something to me: as to now, Steam has just finished downloading another update, sized 21MB, and in the "about" window reads:
"Built May 14 2010, at 18.27.45, Steam API: V009, Steam package versions: local/local"
also, config.vdf still reads "firstrun=0";

finally, I ran another search for updates which yelded me a "fully updated" result...

sorry for the WoT, that's all the infos I've managed to think of to provide... :)

so, is this 21MB update an actual newer update that I was meant to download or what..?
I'll wait and see as the day progresses if there are some more events unfolding, as for now I hope someone will find these infos of some use... :)

keep up the good work..!

IndianGuardian
05-15-2010, 05:58 AM
I tried Steam a couple of hours ago and got the 20MB update too.

I installed Steam on my Mac and performed the updates and purchased the age old classic Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis.

Next day when I log into Steam, I go through a 30MB update. Again, yesterday when I log in, another update.

Today again when I log in there is another update (20MB one).

My greater concern is that every update is reducing HD space.

Before today's update, I had 89.39GB free space. After the update, 89.35GB.

What's with all these updates and the HD eat up? I understand it's a dynamic client but shouldn't earlier updates auto-delete or something?

Any way for me to get back all my lost HD space? Do I uninstall and re-install?

MacHarborGuy
05-15-2010, 06:38 AM
Before today's update, I had 89.39GB free space. After the update, 89.35GB.

Was the "before today's update" size before you downloaded those games too? Because a loss of 40Megabytes is not that much of a loss in that case.

On a side note that is not directly related to this topic: World of Warcraft does not delete it's patch files either. Many WoW players may still have gigabytes of wasted space in their WoW folder due to the patches and updaters sitting there

ReubenF
05-15-2010, 07:31 AM
The last couple posts just seem to be noticing that we have been pushing out updates daily. You don't need to worry about these updates using lots of hard drive space, they are generally just replacing existing files after they are downloaded.

dirk0gently
05-15-2010, 07:39 AM
The last couple posts just seem to be noticing that we have been pushing out updates daily. You don't need to worry about these updates using lots of hard drive space, they are generally just replacing existing files after they are downloaded.

Except in the instance where you lock any file in the steam app. Then it will not replace anything and just sit there building up.

Ciabs
05-15-2010, 07:50 AM
actually, I don't really care of 100 or 200MB worth of HD space, as long as once the problem is fixed it doesnt' continue to add up...

also, I can stand losing 100MB worth of space for an update, what I can't stand is losing multiple 100MBs due to duplicates of the same update...

since the mac client updated with this newer 20MB patch today, I'm gonna wait tomorrow morning and see if at startup the problem is still there or if this last update solved it...

I'll keep you guys informed :)

Ciabs
05-16-2010, 01:09 AM
today steam just launched without downloading any more stuff, I begin to think this issue has definitely been resolved with the 21MB update... :)

a thank you to the devs, who seemed very responsive and caring about this problem... :)

dr.zeissler
05-16-2010, 01:57 AM
i downloaded the steam.dmg an installed it.

if i start steam it loads 33MB update.
when it reached about 29MB the steam client opens but the update does not finish. it keeps at 29MB.

sometimes the steamclient does not start at 29MB and shows an error that network does not run, but that is not true.

if i start steam the console shows:
16.05.10 10:19:27 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[91] (com.valvesoftware.steam.ipctool) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
16.05.10 10:19:37 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[91] (com.valvesoftware.steam.ipctool[606]) posix_spawn("/Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32/ipcserver", ...): No such file or directory
16.05.10 10:19:37 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[91] (com.valvesoftware.steam.ipctool[606]) Exited with exit code: 1

has this something to to with the problems i have ?

Thx
Doc

dr.zeissler
05-16-2010, 02:09 AM
ok, it worked just yet. don't know what was changed. Update runs.

ok so far.

Ciabs
05-16-2010, 02:35 AM
happened to me too, after install at the following starup it began downloading again the 33MB update and froze at ca 25MB; I just cancelled the process, rebooted, and the the update (downloading AGAIN) got up to 100%;

mitch_mac
05-16-2010, 02:54 AM
i downloaded the steam.dmg an installed it.

has this something to to with the problems i have ?

Thx
Doc

For sure !!
"/Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32/ipcserver" you really need this file !
Finder Show packadge content on the Steam.app in /Appications !
If not already there, i would put Steam.app into that default place !

IndianGuardian
05-16-2010, 06:12 AM
@MacHarborGuy: No, this space was taken up by the update. I had already installed my games. The 89.39 to 89.35 refers solely to the update.

@ReubenF: Thanks for your reply. Just fyi, I don't think the old update files got deleted, cause during all 3 updates, my space just kept decreasing. The old files didn't seem to get replaced. You may want to check this before releasing the update.

@Everyone: Logged in today, no updates (phew). Now trying to figure out how to uninstall a single game that I have finished playing...

Entegy
05-16-2010, 07:49 AM
@Everyone: Logged in today, no updates (phew). Now trying to figure out how to uninstall a single game that I have finished playing...RIght-click it and choose "Delete local content"

Exaiphnes
05-16-2010, 12:52 PM
didn't log in for a couple days, but as I tried again today, I received the similar problem as I posted on page 2. Steam says my build was released on May 12th, which I'm guessing I haven't been getting regular updates but rather been downloading the same thing multiple times. Just ran the self-updater but it's taking an excessively long time to say anything other than "checking for updates..."

edit: updater went on for 20 minutes and then said my version is up to date. Is this what everyone else has when they go to Steam > About Steam?
http://cl.ly/94fb608a74125b275e9b

tbone2709
05-16-2010, 01:41 PM
mine was doing this but then it stopped. It doesn't seem to do it anymore, and I haven't done anything to try and fix it.

IndianGuardian
05-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Just launched Steam. Installed another 21,772KB update.

ReubenF
05-19-2010, 09:04 AM
To alleviate some confusion:

Our updates are often the same size. Usually either 21mb or 33mb. And we have been pushing out updates often. So I think there is a lot of confusion surrounding seeing updates of the same size multiple times in a short timespan.

If you think Steam is downloading updates it already has, click the "Steam" menu bar and click "About Steam" to see when your version was built. If you think it has updated multiple times since the date in that info box, then there might be a problem. Otherwise, you are probably just seeing that we are updating frequently. You can also look at the "Steam Updates" thread stickied that we are trying to remember to edit whenever we update.

headburner3
05-21-2010, 08:16 PM
my steam keeps downloading 21 mb. Its like it keeps on downloading the fix for the 33mb bug

ReubenF
05-21-2010, 08:39 PM
my steam keeps downloading 21 mb. Its like it keeps on downloading the fix for the 33mb bug

There were updates Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday of this week. They were likely all 21 mb.

If you click the "Steam" menu bar and click "About Steam", you can see when your version was built. If it updates multiple times to the same version (time built), then there's a problem.

jorgom
05-22-2010, 12:25 PM
There were updates Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday of this week. They were likely all 21 mb.

If you click the "Steam" menu bar and click "About Steam", you can see when your version was built. If it updates multiple times to the same version (time built), then there's a problem.

Yes, I think people are getting confused with the updates... nothing to worry about.

Although it would be cool if you could post a small message as part of an update announcement or something, so people know when the client updates (or if it's a "bug", which is not).

Ciabs
05-22-2010, 02:28 PM
the closest thing to that would be to pay attention to the "about" window of Steam when it updates; this way one can know if what he downloaded is up to date or just a duplicate...

headburner3
05-22-2010, 10:08 PM

Thank's you have relieved all my stress

brvno.sk
05-23-2010, 05:58 AM
EDIT 2: Still No go after letting the update run, The update only ever runs to about 80% then goes to validating and never really completes (it runs in another window while steam still works correctly on top. I even tried to get it to run an update from inside of steam and the exact same problem

Hi, do you have still problem with "Verifying installation..." window?
Check my post (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15086827&postcount=7) and let me know please.
I had same problem, but now disappeared.

bondbruno
11-06-2011, 05:12 AM
No news in this thread?

I still have these issues…
Every time Steam is launched, it asks to update to the same version (now it’s the November 4 version)

As was asked, I looked in the console and found this:

http://i.imgur.com/HewdH.png

Then I closed Steam, relaunched and it asked again to update:

http://i.imgur.com/Jci5g.png

I tried to install it (again), and looked in the Console again:

http://i.imgur.com/F2km2.png

Any thoughts?

theQman121
11-06-2011, 12:05 PM
My steam has tried to update itself to the Nov. 4 update multiple times today. I'm still running the Nov. 1 update.

raghugenes
03-28-2012, 09:37 AM
I logged into my steam account after 6 months..at first when I started to play CS, I could not see any servers as it said to update to beta version..there it started to update the steam application...it is stagnant at 9/45 MB...so I waited for an hour it did not even move a single byte..later I closed to restart my MAC. From then I experience the problem of updation every time I start steam. Funny thing is I could not even play offline...All it does is starts a 49000 MB update and stops in the middle at 12000 itself. I tried all possible solutions, reinstalling steam, registry change..Also asked my another friend to install in his laptop( windows) it works for him why not for MAC ? it stops in the middle while updating "STEAM NEED TO BE ONLINE" I am online both internet as well as steam ...its been 3 days I did not turn off my laptop ..trying to sort this out..! Please help me guys..

RovinHoot
03-28-2012, 09:17 PM
I logged into my steam account after 6 months..at first when I started to play CS, I could not see any servers as it said to update to beta version..there it started to update the steam application...it is stagnant at 9/45 MB...so I waited for an hour it did not even move a single byte..later I closed to restart my MAC. From then I experience the problem of updation every time I start steam. Funny thing is I could not even play offline...All it does is starts a 49000 MB update and stops in the middle at 12000 itself. I tried all possible solutions, reinstalling steam, registry change..Also asked my another friend to install in his laptop( windows) it works for him why not for MAC ? it stops in the middle while updating "STEAM NEED TO BE ONLINE" I am online both internet as well as steam ...its been 3 days I did not turn off my laptop ..trying to sort this out..! Please help me guys..

Try grabbing the latest files manually, I posted them in the other thread:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29972551&postcount=72

raghugenes
03-29-2012, 05:04 AM
I still have the same problem sorry I did not have this issue previously... how did you sort it out..I tried the following - FAILS
1. Deleting all the files except for steam apps ( that was empty )
2. Updating the files manually in package folder
3. Direct ethernet connection
4. Resetting router / firewall - network stuffs
5. But installed the same in my DELL ( win os ) from the same router
Please its been 5 days since I did not turn off my laptop, I wanted to solve this bug ....