PDA

View Full Version : Portal download speed? / l4d2 enquiry

rustedstardust
05-13-2010, 09:20 PM
This n00b here doesn't have much Internet on which to use Mac Steam. I'd say about 5000 MB of wireless Internet a month.

Discovered the Portal file is pretty big, about 3873 MB. A friend suggested I start the free Portal download so that I register as having downloaded it, and then continue downloading when my Internet resumes.

Unfortunately by the time my Internet's back, the Portal offer will have expired. I've started, but I've only gotten about 80MB down. Will I still be able to continue the free download after the 24th?

Another question: am on a December 2008 MacBook OS X Leopard. Should be compatible, I hope?

Clarification appreciated! Thanks.

On another note, does anyone have any idea when Left 4 Dead 2 is out for the Mac?

stone man
05-14-2010, 10:39 AM
As long as you have "purchased" Portal (i.e., it's listed in your library), you can download it for free until the end of time. Same deal for games that actually cost money — if you own it, the download is free. Honestly, Valve are so generous with Steam that I'm amazed it's actually a money-maker for them.

And no one has any idea when Mac Left 4 Dead 2 is coming out. Probably not very soon. Portal was in beta for about a month before its release, and the Left 4 Dead games haven't even gone into beta yet AFAIK. It seems pretty certain that the next Valve game for Mac will be Team Fortress 2.

rustedstardust
07-08-2010, 10:46 AM
My thanks