PDA

View Full Version : Ironsights as a server variable?

SaxonSwine
05-14-2010, 03:36 AM
I was wondering if Valve would be interested in taking the time to add Ironsights to CSS as a server variable. It would make an interesting feature for admins who would like to run servers that feature ironsights, whilst those people who would rather see unaltered gameplay could opt not to use them.

It wouldn't require much work for Valve to add them coding wise, and little would be needed to be done to the view models (just re-add some missing polies, and a single extra animation for the shoot_ironsight).

It would be great if Valve did add this, since it would bring CSS up to more modern standards for players who want it :)

PseudoKnight
05-14-2010, 04:16 AM
It's not a modern versus old school issue, imo. It's a game design question. There are a few weapons that have iron-sight-like gameplay features, but without the barrel of the gun getting in your way. So it's partially an aesthetic choice to want iron sights. For those that don't, it's a gameplay concern. So, it's a hard sell since gameplay always trumps aesthetics. I know, I know... it's optional. God help me if half the servers start turning it on, though. It's hard enough to find vanilla servers. However, even if they don't add this, it might be possible to do with a server plugin. You could ask around.

SaxonSwine
05-14-2010, 04:23 AM
I'm pretty sure someone would have done it already if it were possible as a server plugin.

Really this would be more than an aesthetic, it would enable the player to have a better idea of where their shots will go, rather than relying on the more random crosshair.

Anyway, there could be a client-side option to search for servers with ironsights, or servers without ironsights. This could be done in the exact same way that VAC/non-VAC servers can be searched for at present.

PseudoKnight
05-14-2010, 04:30 AM
Iron sights don't give you a better idea of where shots land. It's redundant to crosshairs. What some games with iron sights do is decrease the bullet spread and/or zoom in a little. CSS could only offer the latter without impacting play too much.

You're right about the plugin. It's a client side change. I don't think there's too much interest in the community for this feature, but maybe I'm not your typical CS:S player -- pubber with a tiny bit of clan history. (2.5 seasons spread over 10 years)

Dark_090
05-14-2010, 04:42 AM
Iron sights don't give you a better idea of where shots land. It's redundant to crosshairs. What some games with iron sights do is decrease the bullet spread and/or zoom in a little. CSS could only offer the latter without impacting play too much.

This, there's really no point in adding iron sights because you wouldn't have any advantage using then, you would even be at a disadvantage because the gun model would take more screen space.

But if you really want to feel like you're aiming down the barrel I think there are weapon models you can download, I've seen a few around.

SaxonSwine
05-14-2010, 04:51 AM
This, there's really no point in adding iron sights because you wouldn't have any advantage using then, you would even be at a disadvantage because the gun model would take more screen space.

But if you really want to feel like you're aiming down the barrel I think there are weapon models you can download, I've seen a few around.

*Sigh* somehow I knew someone would post that. I'm not interested in those custom models.

Under the current system, firing a shot reduces your accuracy by making subsequent bullets scatter randomly.
With ironsight aiming, that random scatter is removed - the shot goes as close as possible to where the player is aiming.

COD, BF and various other games do this very well. It would be great to see it as an option for CSS too.

hl2_exe
05-14-2010, 04:59 AM
I wish these ironsight proponents would just admit they are bad and can't aim without the zoom and can't time their shots so they need a button that does it for them.

GO PLAY MW2 OR BC2 OR INSURGENCY OR AA3 OR ANY CONSOLE PORT FPS and leave Counter Strike to PC gamers

Dark_090
05-14-2010, 05:04 AM
*Sigh* somehow I knew someone would post that. I'm not interested in those custom models.

Under the current system, firing a shot reduces your accuracy by making subsequent bullets scatter randomly.
With ironsight aiming, that random scatter is removed - the shot goes as close as possible to where the player is aiming.

COD, BF and various other games do this very well. It would be great to see it as an option for CSS too.

Yes but those games were created from the ground up to use iron sights properly, CSS wasn't. You really don't need iron sights in the current state of the game. Weapons are already accurate when you're not spraying like a madman, and even if you spray using iron sights in games like CoD they have a random factor too.

I do know what you mean though, I have wondered about it but there really is no point in adding them, maybe for CS2 who knows.

SaxonSwine
05-14-2010, 05:04 AM
@ HL2_exe Well if this were a server variable it wouldn't be an issue, would it?

@ Dark_090, mm, yeah it might be nice to see them in CS2.

PseudoKnight
05-14-2010, 05:30 AM
Honestly, I don't know if I'd play CS2 if it went the iron sight route. I play CS instead of something like Modern Warfare because it's different. The clutter they introduced in CS:S was a bit much for me.

Side note: I hope they reduce playable geometry clutter/complexity if they do a CS2. We need our de_inferno back. You can put all the fancy architecture you want outside of the playable area, but I really really hate my nades bouncing wrong off of fancy door ways, my bounding box colliding with random aesthetic pleasantries, and my shots hitting invisible walls. There's a lot you can do with textures. TF2 devs were pretty good at this, I was surprised to see -- lots of straight, obvious lines.

Fr4nka
05-14-2010, 06:12 AM
Bring back the scope for the M4. I really liked it while it lasted.

TNTmudro
05-14-2010, 06:46 AM
This game has recoil, will not work.

Sinonim
05-14-2010, 06:48 AM
no, not another bad modern company warfare...

SaxonSwine
05-14-2010, 07:03 AM
This game has recoil, will not work.

It would work if coded properly.

@ Sinonim, it would be server specific, so if you don't like it you wouldn't have to play with it. Those people who would like it, could use it. Simple really.

TNTmudro
05-14-2010, 07:47 AM
It would work if coded properly.

@ Sinonim, it would be server specific, so if you don't like it you wouldn't have to play with it. Those people who would like it, could use it. Simple really.

Yes in theory, not in reality.