PDA

View Full Version : Steam is polluting my Mac like a virus!

PortalGuy
05-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Okay Ive pretty much accepted that the UI is all buggy and sluggish and its crashing all the time and Braid wont still start, so I cant play a game Ive bought and paid for and Ive contacted support, but heard nothing from them. :mad:

But now Ive noticed something REALLY BAD. After Steam crashes my Mac will also get sluggish. If I minimize apps, its all slow and sluggish. I have to restart my whole system, before everything runs smoothly again. This is unforgivable! Steam is literally polluting my system. The app is like a virus or something! Seriously! Im not exaggerating. It shouldnt affect my system! :mad:

This is just too much! Im pretty much done with the stinking Steam. After Ive played through Portal and Braid (if Ill get it working someday) I will probably uninstall this poor excuse of a software and Ill never buy a single game from Valve/Steam! Im done! :mad:

What a lousy job they did for OS X! Theres no excuses to make buggy software like this and release it and take our money and then ruin our systems. So there goes the dream we could someday play games easily with Macs. Thanks Valve for nothing! :mad:

Fuzz Bucket
05-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Check to see if the Steam process is running.

PortalGuy
05-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention a little "bonus".

When I try to restart my Mac after a Steam crash I get the infamous "You need to restart your computer" (kernel panic). :eek:

This one:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1392

My Mac was rock stable before I installed the stinking Steam! :mad:

elvisizer
05-14-2010, 04:17 PM
like fuzzbucket said, use Activity Monitor to check if the steam process is still hanging around after a crash.
also, have you run a disk check on your startup disk? made sure you have all available system updates installed?
and maybe calm down a bit. the problems you're seeing are not universal- for instance, I have yet to have steam crash on either of my macs, and Braid is working fine for me on both my mac pro and my mini.
bottom line is, we should be able to help you and get Braid working. just stay calm and work with us! :)

SerFox
05-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Had no problems of the sort.

RcknShdw
05-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Not sure why this is in the third party games forum but whatev. It would probably help other users and Valve in finding a solution if you posted your Mac setup? (Eg: I'm running the Fall 09 Mac mini, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB DDR3 RAM, nVidia 9400M, OS X 10.6).

On that note, my setup runs Steam perfectly and I've been getting much better graphics results and overall response from my games than on my desktop and netbook :) My only complaints are the Steam app being sluggish and the overlay not working and screwing me out of achievements in Torchlight >.< (And to a lesser extent how Valve has Steam handle it's folders like it's on a Windows OS, not very organized!)

dpgirl
05-14-2010, 08:31 PM
I had some installation and account creation problems (minor annoyances)... and Steam has crashed once when closing it.... other than that its been running just fine for me.

Protonk
05-14-2010, 09:45 PM
I haven't noticed any problems.

PortalGuy
05-14-2010, 10:21 PM
But now Ive noticed something REALLY BAD. After Steam crashes my Mac will also get sluggish. If I minimize apps, its all slow and sluggish. I have to restart my whole system, before everything runs smoothly again. This is unforgivable! Steam is literally polluting my system. The app is like a virus or something! Seriously! Im not exaggerating. It shouldnt affect my system! :mad:

Actually now I noticed that Steam doesnt have to even crash to cause this sluggish behavior to my system. Its enough that I open and close it. Before this everything runs always fine.

Stinking Steam virus!!! Im getting seriously mad here!!! :mad:

And Braid wont still start! :mad:

LN3000
05-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Grow up, you big baby.

Innervision180
05-14-2010, 10:48 PM
You should boot from your install disc and perform both the "Repair Disk" and "Repair Disk Permissions" options. This often works wonders. I've seen symptoms like yours (not with Steam, but with other apps), which were solved just by running these. At the very least, it can't hurt. You could also run Onyx if you prefer.

deer
05-15-2010, 12:13 AM
PortalGuy are you using your Mac just for browsing interwebz? It seems that way?!?:confused:

PortalGuy
05-15-2010, 12:16 AM
PortalGuy are you using your Mac just for browsing interwebz? It seems that way?!?:confused:

What gave you that idea? :confused:

deer
05-15-2010, 12:20 AM
What gave you that idea? :confused:
Your problems with system sluggines. Also do this:
You should boot from your install disc and perform both the "Repair Disk" and "Repair Disk Permissions" options. This often works wonders. I've seen symptoms like yours (not with Steam, but with other apps), which were solved just by running these. At the very least, it can't hurt. You could also run Onyx if you prefer.

in.meinem.turm.
05-15-2010, 12:41 AM
Stinking Steam virus!!! Im getting seriously mad here!!! :mad:

Maybe it's your stinking MAC in the first place.
Or maybe not. Steam was a pile of ♥♥♥♥ when it was released on the PC so why should it be different for the MAC-version.
Anyways the final reason not to get a MAC has been removed with the release of steam for the MAC. So I know what my next cOpmputer will be. And until that point in time steams problems will be fixed.

PortalGuy
05-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Your problems with system sluggines. Also do this:

My system isnt sluggy.

Only after Ive opened and closed Steam it becomes sluggy. Sluggy like Steam itself.

sketch7
05-15-2010, 05:23 AM
What version of the OS are you running and what's your system spec - these are the kind of details that help in this situation.

Running Steam on 10.6.2 OSX on a late 2008 15" Macbook Pro; no problems at all. Have Braid and that works fine.

bomimo
05-15-2010, 09:45 AM
gaming with your laptop on your lap will do this. first, check if you're even using your computer properly or if you believe it's indestructible. if your Computer isn't used to the stresslevel that this app requires, you may just have busted a malfunction.

PortalGuy
05-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Maybe it's your stinking MAC in the first place.
Or maybe not. Steam was a pile of ♥♥♥♥ when it was released on the PC so why should it be different for the MAC-version.
Anyways the final reason not to get a MAC has been removed with the release of steam for the MAC. So I know what my next cOpmputer will be. And until that point in time steams problems will be fixed.

My Mac is just fine. Year and a half old iMac 3,06GHz Intel Core Duo, GeForce 8800 GS, latest Leopard. Everything runs great! Except Steam.

koCO78
05-16-2010, 08:28 AM
Are you on and admin account or user account? Have you tryed to repair system permissions? Try to do this, or delete de user cache, witch Onyx or ClanMyMac and tell us what happens...

barneyinblue
05-16-2010, 01:19 PM
This thread made me laugh.

Vurgil
05-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Could be unrelated, but after installing steam my computer bogged. And now i have a hard drive failure. All i used the computer for was light gaming, and photoshop/illustrator.

dethbunny
05-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention a little "bonus".

When I try to restart my Mac after a Steam crash I get the infamous "You need to restart your computer" (kernel panic). :eek:

This one:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1392

My Mac was rock stable before I installed the stinking Steam! :mad:

What is in the panic logs? When a Mac KPs, it records the reason for the panic. To read the log information, you'll need to open Console from the Utilities folder. (Going from memory, and thus likely wrong, I'm not in OS X at the moment to verify) Under Leopard, the information will be under /Library/Logs/PanicReporter and under Snow Leopard they're under /Diagnostic Reports/System Diagnostic Reports/ on the left side in Console. You should be able to see instances of panic.DATEHERE.log or kernel.DATEHERE.crash. If you can copy-and-paste the contents, it would be great. See if there are any areas that say something like "kernel modules in backtrace:" followed immediately by lines that look like "com.apple.blahblah.blah"

Xybr
05-17-2010, 02:51 PM
I've installed Steam on a mid-2007 Aluminum iMac 20" (2.4 GHz C2D, Radeon HD 2600 Pro, 4GB RAM, 320GB 7200rpm HDD) and it's solid. I also installed it on my mid-2009 MacBook Pro 15.4" (2.66 GHz C2D, GeForce 9400M / 9600GT, 4 GB RAM, 500GB 7200rpm HDD), Steam is also rock solid. Both machines are running Mac OS X 10.6.3 and are fully updated.

Other than the initial Civ4 issue (which is now fixed), every game I've played in Steam is solid. Portal runs really well. I seem to gravitate towards that and World of Goo anytime I want to play a game in OS X. :)

Since Steam loads quickly, I close it out when I'm not using it. But I've also left it open for long periods of time w/o any issue. I will say that I was having major performance issues on my Macs earlier this year. It was related to a bad 10.6.3 update. I ended up imaging my HDD then formatted and reinstalled OS X then fully updated it. Migration Assistant came in handy moving all my data back over. It's possible the performance issues experienced are either being caused by the OS itself or the HDD may need to be repaired/optimized by Disk Utility. Mac OS X is a robust OS, but like any other car - it needs maintenance from time to time.

Installing Steam would not cause the problem. If it's that simple, use AppZapper to remove Steam and all components then reboot. If the problem continues, it's something else. Otherwise, reinstall Steam from a new download.

Vurgil
05-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Apparently for me it was just time for the HDD to go. Steam was just "the straw" on the camels back so to speak. So it wasn't steam to blame, just crappy HDD. Was hoping i'd get a new imac, but she's in for repair and getting 10.6.3 for free so thats pretty killer.