PDA

View Full Version : Portal takes 10 min to open

mandregorax
05-15-2010, 12:18 AM
From when I click "Play" till the portal window opens, there's a 10 min gap. After it finally gets to the "Loading" section of the game, it appears to take another 10 min to load.

I know its not supposed to take that long, anyone else has the same problem?

I have a late 2009 MacBook Pro, top tier...

FuzzyPuffin
05-15-2010, 12:54 AM
I did notice it take an above average time to get to the menu (maybe 2-3 min) but after that, load times were fine. 2.66 ghz imac.

2befine
05-15-2010, 01:04 AM
when I click Play it's almost instantly load the game window and ~1min "Loading..." screen. 1.93 ghz core2duo.

nano....
05-15-2010, 01:05 AM
I do not have this issue, and I am on the base model MacBook Pro.

These 10min loading times; are they in Steam (Where it says "Preparing to launch"), or is it in Portal itself?

You may also want to check nothing is using up your HDD, make sure Spotlight isn't index, etc.

ICELegit
05-15-2010, 01:18 AM
From when I click "Play" till the portal window opens, there's a 10 min gap. After it finally gets to the "Loading" section of the game, it appears to take another 10 min to load.

I know its not supposed to take that long, anyone else has the same problem?

I have a late 2009 MacBook Pro, top tier...

my game runs great, i just try after reading this it took 1min 5sec to load then i played two levels and runs fine, i have the late 2009 macbook and i play it wwith everything on high

mandregorax
05-15-2010, 07:17 AM
when i click play, the window saying "preparing to run Portal" stays for like 5 seconds or so, and then nothing... no loading signs or whatever... so i check activity monitor and there it is, hl_osx... but theres no window from steam or whatever..

10 min later, i see the bald guy and that intro sound, and then it freezes in the portal "loading" screen for ever, and i have to force quit it...

jaasum
05-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Yup, some people have said restarting their machines fixes it. I have tried both a restart and a reinstall. Nothing can get it to load normally. Once it DOES load, if I wait long enough there is no text, and the game runs kinda buggy. It's weird how it works perfect for some people. I watched my buddy play it fine on his iMac, but mine just...doesn't work.

ICELegit
05-15-2010, 09:23 PM
try reinstall the game then after that restart ur computer

eatmymac
05-15-2010, 09:38 PM
When i click the play button all i get is. "Scanning for steam games updates" and it sits there for over an hour, and never gets any further...:confused:

edwardthehollow
05-15-2010, 10:21 PM
One of my friends was using compression software on his 'documents folder'. And steam files are stored in the documents folder. So you might want to make sure something like that isn't going on.