PDA

View Full Version : Shotguns and Steam community

JereTHEend
05-16-2010, 05:32 AM
This is a hybrid thread to discuss and agree with two points of the game I personally have problem, and maybe you can add to the viewpoint.

First one is the minor; Steam community addition:
I know the game has stats page for every player, but there is nothing that links to that in steam community profiles. The stats are hosted on Futuremark's own page, but recent steam update could easily make possible simple link system to one's profile. This would make checking own profile or friend's profiles little easier as it is with how TF2 is - I'd hate to open up a browser, type a site, type a name to just check out a stats page. It's not a major thing, but as it (shouldn't?) be impossible, it could be little more easier.

Other one is... Shotguns... My favorute weapon, give me any game, be it L4D, CS:S, half life, Metro 2033, Mass effect, Unreal tournament... Shotguns are my favorite FPS weapon.

As I have myself learned, against any rifle or such, shotgun already is in big disadvantage against these weapons; it is not a long range weapon, and it's damage from mid range already is much lower than any SMG or assault rifle.

What baffles me is... how much underpowered it is overall in shattered horizon - the fact that it SHOULD be more powerful per shot in close range than a SMG should be so, plus the fire rate is as slow as shotgun should be - but many times my battles in almost hug-range combat goes with me getting three to four shots inside enemy's suit, while he peacefull take his smg and makes a bodyshot streak of shots that takes as long to shoot as one shotgun shot and I am dead - So many times my shotgun loses IN CLOSE RANGE against any other already powerful weapon.

Anyone with assault rifle can pick me up and shoot me way ahead from range where my shotgun cannot get to, but to add the fact that shotgun just, underwhelming in anything. Only times I could kill with shotgun is when someone else was shooting the same guy with smg/assault rifle.

Also, the recent bullet flight time addition and fact that shotgun users got a slowdown for carrying that weapon combined with this under powered firepower is almost - depressing.

You could say "just use SMG or assault rifle" but why? Why should I to adapt another weapon I do not like just because programming of shotgun is underwhelming?

Discussion on this appreciated!

blueyes77
05-16-2010, 06:48 AM
This is a hybrid thread to discuss and agree with two points of the game I personally have problem, and maybe you can add to the viewpoint.

First one is the minor; Steam community addition:
I know the game has stats page for every player, but there is nothing that links to that in steam community profiles. The stats are hosted on Futuremark's own page, but recent steam update could easily make possible simple link system to one's profile. This would make checking own profile or friend's profiles little easier as it is with how TF2 is - I'd hate to open up a browser, type a site, type a name to just check out a stats page. It's not a major thing, but as it (shouldn't?) be impossible, it could be little more easier.

Other one is... Shotguns... My favorute weapon, give me any game, be it L4D, CS:S, half life, Metro 2033, Mass effect, Unreal tournament... Shotguns are my favorite FPS weapon.

As I have myself learned, against any rifle or such, shotgun already is in big disadvantage against these weapons; it is not a long range weapon, and it's damage from mid range already is much lower than any SMG or assault rifle.

What baffles me is... how much underpowered it is overall in shattered horizon - the fact that it SHOULD be more powerful per shot in close range than a SMG should be so, plus the fire rate is as slow as shotgun should be - but many times my battles in almost hug-range combat goes with me getting three to four shots inside enemy's suit, while he peacefull take his smg and makes a bodyshot streak of shots that takes as long to shoot as one shotgun shot and I am dead - So many times my shotgun loses IN CLOSE RANGE against any other already powerful weapon.

Anyone with assault rifle can pick me up and shoot me way ahead from range where my shotgun cannot get to, but to add the fact that shotgun just, underwhelming in anything. Only times I could kill with shotgun is when someone else was shooting the same guy with smg/assault rifle.

Also, the recent bullet flight time addition and fact that shotgun users got a slowdown for carrying that weapon combined with this under powered firepower is almost - depressing.

You could say "just use SMG or assault rifle" but why? Why should I to adapt another weapon I do not like just because programming of shotgun is underwhelming?

Discussion on this appreciated!

Shotty may be most useless gun in this pack and i tried to make it better with my suggestions during test phase, but my every suggestion was made worse by someone.

Now SMG & AR is only good medium/close range guns there is, i have suggested to make shotty to flight fastest with, because it's too slow to shoot with it now.

Shotty should be best closeup gun, because SMG works with medium range also. (tested even without sight)

JereTHEend
05-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Indeed. Id say, shotgun should have power to kill from two shots on close range - at moment it still needs at least 4 if you are alone and that just loses. to anything.

Keyelite
05-16-2010, 09:50 AM
In my opinion, the shotgun speed should not have been slowed down as much as the SMG in the latest fix. It also should have a slightly faster rate of fire.

blueyes77
05-16-2010, 10:51 AM
In my opinion, the shotgun speed should not have been slowed down as much as the SMG in the latest fix. It also should have a slightly faster rate of fire.

Your suggestion would make even me want to try that:D
Good work dude.

B3RS3RK
05-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Shotguns fine.Oneshot Kill if you aim well in a close distance, and not even bad at bigger distances if you know how to use it.

I still prefer other weapons because the main situation the SG is used for usually, close combat, is almost never there.

Thatīs the only thing that could be better about the Shotgun, but itīs nothing you could change really.

Keyelite
05-16-2010, 04:54 PM
I just went 30-8 with the shotguns. I don't think it's a problem of nerfing/buffing-- but a matter of learning gameplay style that comes with it. I used silent mode a lot with the shotguns and I think it really helped out. Don't be afraid of putting two or three shots into someone from afar instead of being exposed up close. The key is to get close and use cover to your advantage. If you hit someone and they see you, then hide behind cover-- chances are they will come closer to you to take you out. You played them right into your advantage-- since now there in range for a quick kill.

Each gun has their own style of play but I think the biggest points for all of them are:
- Don't underestimate the ironsights! They make your gun a lot more accurate.
- Use cover! Move up when you need to and when you know it's safe. Always have a plan to afterburn to cover if it becomes unsafe.
- Always pick a fight that you know you will win. If you know you will lose, get back in cover and find a flank.

JereTHEend
05-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Shotguns fine.Oneshot Kill if you aim well in a close distance, and not even bad at bigger distances if you know how to use it.

I still prefer other weapons because the main situation the SG is used for usually, close combat, is almost never there.

Thatīs the only thing that could be better about the Shotgun, but itīs nothing you could change really.

The problem is that even if I aim they ARE NOT one shot kill UNLESS someone else already has given some holes as foreplay to the guy.

Also, Keyelite talks all this "cover" etc. I talk about distances that are not quite distance where melee could reach, and that is the close range, neither player may not land a headshot, yet I get three shots HIT and then SMG/AR user just takes small spurt on my body and it's over.

"Cover" Really? IS shotgun some effin SNIPER class now? Yeah use cover - if the game gives you shield, as my examples of situations where the unbalance of weapon power comes in are THAT close range combat.

Keyelite
05-16-2010, 10:17 PM
"Cover" Really? IS shotgun some effin SNIPER class now? Yeah use cover - if the game gives you shield, as my examples of situations where the unbalance of weapon power comes in are THAT close range combat.

Cover as in not floating 50 feet away from any tangible cover. So at least when you start getting shot, you can judge if he's too far away and break from contact. If you float around objects, you can easily orientate yourself so the object becomes a shield after you kill the enemy. This is really useful for funneling enemies into you, instead of everyone taking shots at you.

But if you want to float straight at the enemy, go ahead. You might get a few shots off before his buddies takes you out. I'd rather take two-three shots from a medium distance than right up in his face.

JereTHEend
05-17-2010, 02:30 AM
Cover as in not floating 50 feet away from any tangible cover. So at least when you start getting shot, you can judge if he's too far away and break from contact. If you float around objects, you can easily orientate yourself so the object becomes a shield after you kill the enemy. This is really useful for funneling enemies into you, instead of everyone taking shots at you.

But if you want to float straight at the enemy, go ahead. You might get a few shots off before his buddies takes you out. I'd rather take two-three shots from a medium distance than right up in his face.

Every example of my SMG gets greater than shotgun is next to ground - I am really talking about really close combat, it is that you cannot use cover, you are not floating but still next to ground - 1 on 1 any weapon wins over shotgun, period, three shots with shotgun's speed at moment is all you can do, and this is range where neither one has no cover, it is as close and personal you can get, where shotgun SHOULD be the winner, yet it is not.

and what you describe sounds like something you'd do with sniper or AR and be more successful than sniping with shotgun.

And, I mean, even PISTOL is successful in any type of combat, I once was more successful in close range (no sights) "panic combat" with pistol than shotgun, by giving one full clip inside the opponent, same time I could given two shots with shotgun what probably would not killed the dude.

THAT is how underpowered shotgun is, even PISTOL on closer range makes more damage. That screams "BROKEN" to me if anything.