PDA

View Full Version : Any good controllers that work with Steam games?

bugmenot3
05-16-2010, 07:02 AM
I tried using "search" but that image verification code is so hard on the eyes. Some of the letters blend into the background, making them invisible.

Are there any controllers that work with Steam games, particularly Portal? The ones I tried don't seem to work.

Velfolt
05-16-2010, 07:39 AM
I would guess that both the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 controllers work fine..

..but why wouldn't you want to use your mouse and keyboard? They're the ultimate controllers. Especially for Valve games! Also, if you don't have an external mouse it's a lot cheaper to get a new mouse than a gamepad controller.

My 2 cents.

bugmenot3
05-16-2010, 11:21 AM
I find the mouse+keyboard to be too hard to use, plus I'd rather sit back in my chair with a simple controller.

Does the 360 and PS3 have USB controllers? I've only used the original Xbox and PS2. If so, then I'll probably buy one of those. I tried a couple of Logitech controllers, and they didn't work.

I'm not used to the keyboard setup because I'm mostly a console gamer. Genesis, SNES, PS2, etc.

The only games I've played on the computer in the past were the board games and card games. Steam for the Mac is my first real introduction into "action" computer games. Normally I've play those on a console with a normal gamepad.

pkdrdr
05-16-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm using darwiinremote when I play Portal. I have all the keyboard commands mapped to the wiimote, and I'm using the mouse as usual. It's working fine for now.

ultramalakian
05-16-2010, 08:40 PM
There is an Xbox360 USB version controller designed to be used on the PC, and also an adapter that makes the Wireless controller usable in the PC.

Unfortunately, and as far as I'm informed, Steam@Mac has not YET implemented any gamepad support, so that would be a real problem for anyone trying to setup a gamepad.

I suggest you wait for them to release the support, as they promised they would (I read that somewhere, can't remember where...)

Entegy
05-16-2010, 08:50 PM
It's not up to Valve for this. The Source engine already supports gamepads. Now it's up to controller manufacturers to release drivers for Mac if they don't already exist.

TheMattachine
05-16-2010, 09:04 PM
As far as mice, I've been considering buying the magic mouse or the one w. the scroll ball from Apple. Does anyone know how these compare when used with gaming? I know they're not designed w/ gaming in mind, but which do you all feel would be most compatible?

Ntt4
05-17-2010, 12:05 AM
As far as mice, I've been considering buying the magic mouse or the one w. the scroll ball from Apple. Does anyone know how these compare when used with gaming? I know they're not designed w/ gaming in mind, but which do you all feel would be most compatible?

I love my little mighty mouse. I'd never get rid of it, although my people say they are terrible.
It's not the best for gaming, But I do fine in TF2 with it. Once you get use to how it works it's easy.

Velfolt
05-17-2010, 12:11 AM
I love my little mighty mouse. I'd never get rid of it, although my people say they are terrible.
It's not the best for gaming, But I do fine in TF2 with it. Once you get use to how it works it's easy.

Well, the thing about both the Mighty Mouse and the Magic Mouse is that you can't click both left and right mouse button at the same time.

That might not be a big problem, however if you want to click the right button, you have to lift up your left finger form the left button position. That is a big problem for me at least.

mongobo
05-17-2010, 04:03 AM
I'll be interested to see how the gamepad people hold up when the multiplayer games start coming out.

I'm not sure they'll be able to react fast enough to compete with the mouse and keyboard crew.

bugmenot3
05-17-2010, 05:59 AM

I love my Magic Mouse, and in my opinion it works much better than the old Mighty Mouse. I hated the Mighty Mouse because the scroll ball would always stick and eventually break on me.

TheMattachine
05-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Well, the thing about both the Mighty Mouse and the Magic Mouse is that you can't click both left and right mouse button at the same time.

That might not be a big problem, however if you want to click the right button, you have to lift up your left finger form the left button position.

I hated the Mighty Mouse because the scroll ball would always stick and eventually break on me.

I think I'll buy the Magic Mouse, then. I've never grown accustomed to not lifting up my left finger when I wanted to right click, so that's not of major concern in either case. The warning on the Mighty Mouse is a bit disconcerting, though, since I sometimes misuse my hardware and peripherals through callous indifference. Thanks, you guys.

theaero
05-17-2010, 04:29 PM
DarwiinRemote allows you to use your wiimote as a controller. Works great for me.

Tharanon
05-17-2010, 05:16 PM
DarwiinRemote allows you to use your wiimote as a controller. Works great for me.

which option do you use? if im using the sensor (not motion) option and i enter portal (for example), then it suddenly stops responding. i cannot move my character as i would natively do in a Wii game... what am i doing wrong here? :confused:

z3n_87
05-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Try novint falcon for portal.

Atariangamer
05-17-2010, 09:35 PM
I read somewhere there are some drivers for making the wired controllers for Xbox360 work on Mac...and if you go to Wal-Mart or a GameStop, you can sometimes find these used or new in an offbrand. Just make sure you get the wired one, and not wireless.

But as someone said above, it appears to not have the gamepad options in the engine. I haven't looked, but are the controller configs still there?

troublesome89
05-17-2010, 11:07 PM
I use my PS3 control with ControllerMate on my Mac :) Its pretty awesome but I think on games like CS:S id need a mouse. Im praying to god that CS:S Comes out this wednesday its the only Source game I have

nano....
05-18-2010, 12:28 AM

That might not be a big problem, however if you want to click the right button, you have to lift up your left finger form the left button position. That is a big problem for me at least.

You can overcome this by binding alt-fire to a keyboard button, like Shift. I used to do this when playing TF2 on an iMac, and worked surprisingly well.

BenRoethig
05-18-2010, 06:46 AM
There are third party controllers. Beyond that, OSX's gamepad support is next to non-existant.