PDA

View Full Version : New DarkPlaces engine fixes Hipnotic, supports Nehahra + more

Joren
05-17-2010, 02:39 AM
Hey all, wanted to let you know for those of us using the Ultimate Quake Patch; there is an updated DarkPlaces engine out there that properly supports Nehahra now, so it's possible to play it using the mods menu without a separate executable. Oh, and it doesn't crash anymore :)

Looks like MenaceInc has updated the patches, so you can just grab the Ultimate Quake/Mission Patches and you'll be good. There's a hotfix available for those who already have the patch; see his posts. Thanks for the (awesomely prompt) updates!

1. Download and install the Ultimate Quake Patch and mission patches. It's in another forum post here:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=972530

2. Frag a bunch of demons, save the world, etc.

Old Instructions (no longer needed):

Darkplaces available here:

1. Download and install the Ultimate Quake Patch and mission patches. It's in another forum post here:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=972530

2. Download the newest version of DarkPlaces - it is the Windows engine file under "Latest stable/official release". You just need the engine, not the mod file (unless you want it that is). Get it here:

http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/download.html

3. Extract the DarkPlaces zip file to your Quake directory (since we're all Steam here, that's probably \Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Quake)

4. IMPORTANT - You have to delete the old glquake.exe and rename darkplaces.exe to glquake.exe. You should also delete winquake.exe and copy darkplaces.exe to winquake.exe while you're at it, in case you have any bats/mods that expect Winquake to be there.

5. Frag a bunch of demons, save the world, etc.

Disclaimer - I'm not associated in any way with the DarkPlaces engine; I'm just a clueless Steamie Quake user who was frustrated by the above mentioned bugs and found out the new engine fixed those. I never check these forums, so I'm unlikely to be able to answer any questions. Have fun :D

MenaceInc
05-17-2010, 07:02 AM
Hmm, I'll get round to updating the patches then I guess xD

MenaceInc
05-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Updated all installers and links. There is also a hotfix so that anyone out there can just easily install the engine update without having to download all the music again. :D

Joren
05-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Hey guys, sorry I have to retract what I said, apparently hip2m3 is still bugged on Hard/Nightmare preventing you from getting 100% kills. Oh well, the other stuff I said is still true :o)

Thanks so much for your work getting everything together in one easy bundle. It's awesome being able to run all these blast-from-the-past mods on modern systems!

-- Joren

Vonje
05-18-2010, 05:33 AM
Darkplaces doesn't work with mission pack 1? What's the cause?

MenaceInc
05-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Darkplaces doesn't work with mission pack 1? What's the cause?

Can you be a bit more specific?
I just tried loading up Mission Pack 1 and it worked for me.
Tried just loading and playing the first level for a while and then a random level via the map command, both worked fine. :\

Joren
05-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Can you be a bit more specific?
I just tried loading up Mission Pack 1 and it worked for me.
Tried just loading and playing the first level for a while and then a random level via the map command, both worked fine. :\

I think he was asking me what I meant about the map hip2m3 (The Catacombs) being bugged.

Ok, well there's this room where you have a horn of summoning and a Shambler. You're supposed to grab the horn, get surrounded by vores, get "X more to go" messages after killing each vore, then after you get the last one, stairs leading up to the Shambler's platform are supposed to open up. On easier modes, instead of Vores, it's Scrags that you have to kill. Try playing hip2m3 on normal/easy; it works fine.

This does not happen like it's supposed to on hard or nightmare. Instead, you get the Shambler, who startles when you pick up the horn, but no Vores and the stairs don't open. You're able to rocket jump up to the platform and you can finish the level that way, but you won't get to kill the Vores and the stairs up to the Shambler platform will not open. That's all I meant by it being bugged; you can still complete the level and move on (as far as I can tell), you just won't get to complete the map the way the designers intended, and you won't get 100% kills.

P.S. If you want to see how it's supposed to run, there are demos on Youtube:

This one's on Hard. Scroll to about 3:45.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWTbY686yII

This one's on Nightmare. Scroll to about 2:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry-ei0SyVEk
-- Joren

Selvator
05-31-2010, 04:57 AM
Very nice of you to post this, I will try this when I get back home after work.

I had a problem with darkplaces when I tried a texture mod called Rygel's pack (or something) when I used that one a lot of models where missing and the menu was completly gone.
I contacted Lord Havoc about this but he never replied to me and that was about a month ago.

Anyway, What about textures, are there any working texture packs for Quake + darkplaces?
Although textures are not that important I suppose, being able to play the original game + music is enough :)

Selvator
06-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Ok I tried this and normal Quake works perfectly with the music.

Unfortunately Mission pack 1 and 2 don't work.
When starting mission pack 1 or 2 it opens up the game, I can see the demo for like 2 seconds and then immediately exits the game, when I click the icon in my bar again (as the game is still working on the background) I can open it again, Demo continues for about 2 secs and then it closes again, not matter how many times I open up the window.
I run on Windows 7 64bit

MenaceInc
06-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Ok I tried this and normal Quake works perfectly with the music.

Unfortunately Mission pack 1 and 2 don't work.
When starting mission pack 1 or 2 it opens up the game, I can see the demo for like 2 seconds and then immediately exits the game, when I click the icon in my bar again (as the game is still working on the background) I can open it again, Demo continues for about 2 secs and then it closes again, not matter how many times I open up the window.
I run on Windows 7 64bit

Worked perfectly for me. Just to be sure I redownloaded Quake and the Mission Packs and then applied the patches and it worked fine. Is the music playing when you have the mission packs open? What are your specs as well.

Selvator
06-02-2010, 06:11 AM
Yes the music is playing when I open the screens, so the patch must be applied to the mission packs correctly.
I also reinstalled quake and the mission packs, I deleted the full folders as well to make sure there are no remaining files.
I reinstalled, re-patched the game, same thing music in the mission packs for like 2 secs before the window closes again.

Are there separate configuration files for those 2 mission packs? because if so I could start changing some settings in them to see if that works.

My other specs are:
ATI Radeon 5870 with Latest drivers
Intel core I7 860
4GB of ram

MenaceInc
06-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Yes the music is playing when I open the screens, so the patch must be applied to the mission packs correctly.
I also reinstalled quake and the mission packs, I deleted the full folders as well to make sure there are no remaining files.
I reinstalled, re-patched the game, same thing music in the mission packs for like 2 secs before the window closes again.

Are there separate configuration files for those 2 mission packs? because if so I could start changing some settings in them to see if that works.

My other specs are:
ATI Radeon 5870 with Latest drivers
Intel core I7 860
4GB of ram

Yeah, they're contained in the hipnotic and rogue folders although I'm not sure there would be anything useful in them. My guess would maybe be that they're trying to load an unsupported resolution...maybe. Not sure. I've never heard or seen this behaviour before.

Selvator
06-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Yeah, they're contained in the hipnotic and rogue folders although I'm not sure there would be anything useful in them. My guess would maybe be that they're trying to load an unsupported resolution...maybe. Not sure. I've never heard or seen this behaviour before.

Yeah that was my best quess as well, that's why I wanted to change the settings ^^
But I couldn't find a resolution setting in the config file so instead I put my own screen resolution to 1280x720 and started the game.
And guess what, it worked and I was able to change the ingame resolution to 1920x1080 instead of 640x480 and now I can start without having to change the resolution down again.

Now I have quake + Music + better textures + darkplaces for a better engine = pure awesomeness.

Thanks for the help with this, +rep for you:D

MenaceInc
06-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Yeah that was my best quess as well, that's why I wanted to change the settings ^^
But I couldn't find a resolution setting in the config file so instead I put my own screen resolution to 1280x720 and started the game.
And guess what, it worked and I was able to change the ingame resolution to 1920x1080 instead of 640x480 and now I can start without having to change the resolution down again.

Now I have quake + Music + better textures + darkplaces for a better engine = pure awesomeness.

Thanks for the help with this, +rep for you:D

Brilliant, good to hear it's sorted. :D