PDA

View Full Version : Expansion... Official Steam Response?

azzido
05-17-2010, 04:11 AM
Hi guys,
I bought the expansion when it came out on Steam but of course have not been able to play it.

Can we get an official response from Steam? What is their stanceo n this and when will it become available? Its been 3 days now since paying for the product and being unable to play.

While this is neither a rant or complaint, its simply a request for info as to when I will be able to play the expansion.

Ty:)

Void(null)
05-17-2010, 06:35 AM
Hi!

You must be new here.

Valve never comment on anything they do regarding Steam. I have bore witness to dozens of botched launches ranging from games that were scheduled and announced to be released on Steam and never came, Steamworks exclusives that were delayed for months, games that were broken by the inclusion of Steam DRM into the .exe and everything in between.

In 5 years I have not once seen Valve comment on any issue regarding any game.

While they always fix everything in time, expect no communication from Valve on behalf of Steam and count yourself lucky if the Developer/Publisher of the game bothers to comment.

Steam has a great many advantages and overall is a wonderful service but support and communication is still one of those areas they get a huge "F" on their report card for.

meephunter
05-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Hi!

You must be new here.

Valve never comment on anything they do regarding Steam. I have bore witness to dozens of botched launches ranging from games that were scheduled and announced to be released on Steam and never came, Steamworks exclusives that were delayed for months, games that were broken by the inclusion of Steam DRM into the .exe and everything in between.

While they always fix everything in time, expect no communication from Valve on behalf of Steam and count yourself lucky if the Developer/Publisher of the game bothers to comment.

Steam has a great many advantages and overall is a wonderful service but support and communication is still one of those areas they get a huge "F" on their report card for.

I do like the idea of steam. However, a developer that is not involved with their community is a bad developer. Look at Bunige and the halo forms, Redstorm and the Rainbow six forms, Epic and the Unreal forms... that list can go on and on and on. However they do not own a store. So my guess is that the one customer service rep in India is asleep now

Niff
05-17-2010, 09:13 AM
Sadly Void is right, I would not expect any sort of response other than the one valve employee who told me that it should just work (famous last words).

You do have every right to post this thread however, and hopefully you get somewhere with it.

mnickerson
05-17-2010, 09:31 AM
We've stopped selling the expansion for Tropico 3 at this time because there is an issue with running this new content with the original game.

If you are one of the users who has purchased this expansion and does not want to wait for a fix, please create a support ticket and we can help you out.

Void, today is your (un)lucky day!

Void(null)
05-17-2010, 09:48 AM

Always happy to be proven wrong, especially if that means better customer service for all!

Is this the beginning of a program for better communication from Valve with regards to the Steam service, or is this a special case because of the extenuating circumstances surrounding Tropico 3 - Absolute Power?

Niff
05-17-2010, 09:50 AM
We've stopped selling the expansion for Tropico 3 at this time because there is an issue with running this new content with the original game.

If you are one of the users who has purchased this expansion and does not want to wait for a fix, please create a support ticket and we can help you out.

I dont suppose you can comment on the massive update you are rolling out? Seems big enough to be the content in absolute power...

mnickerson
05-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Absolute Power is back on the Storefront now.

Joe Molotov
05-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Absolute Power is back on the Storefront now.

But it still says "coming soon" in my library. When will we be able to download it?

Niff
05-17-2010, 01:59 PM
But it still says "coming soon" in my library. When will we be able to download it?

Verify your game, I believe mine is finally downloading the expansion.

Thanks abunch valve (and kalypso) for quickly fixing this disaster *hopefully*

Void(null)
05-17-2010, 02:05 PM
It did the gig+ update, and then when I verify it tells me 16 files are corrupt which is exactly what was happening on release day.

Then when I try and launch the game Steam tells me it is unavailable.

Great Jorb Steam. (http://www.homestarrunner.com/cantsayjob.html)

2reddy
05-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Ole!

The game is working correctly now*. There is only one problem left to solve: Let us play it!

* according to Kalypso developers

JonasHoeiberg
05-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Hi!

You must be new here.

Yes, as a member of SPUF for 1 years I'm sure you're a trustworthy authority on this matter.

mnickerson
05-17-2010, 02:32 PM
You should be able to restart the Steam client and see the game installed or Ready to install at this time.

I was able to install it just now and see the new content.

If you see further errors, try going into the folder: \Steam\steamapps\common\tropico 3\redist and then run the installers before launching the game again.

Void(null)
05-17-2010, 02:57 PM
You should be able to restart the Steam client and see the game installed or Ready to install at this time.

I was able to install it just now and see the new content.

If you see further errors, try going into the folder: \Steam\steamapps\common\tropico 3\redist and then run the installers before launching the game again.

The game is still broken.

The Buildings are back, but the Radio Announcer is still missing, The game still gets stuck on pause when you try to place a road and now some of the animations are messed up. Little girls teddy bears floating eerily by their heads.

All that has changed since it was pulled from Steam is that the buildings now display in the building list and the AP Campaign is available.

I used to be able to play Tropico 3 just fine, didn't have a single issue until this expansion/Steam DLC debacle.

This is the first time I have ever thought to myself "I wish I had bought retail" and I have a sneaking suspicion I am SOL on getting any form of a refund now. At most if I was lucky I would get the money back for the expansion but seeing as how I bought the Steam Special Edition of Tropico 3 in December I guess that is now money lost.

Does the Steam Special Edition and Expansion CD Keys work with retail? If I were to borrow a friends Install Discs could I use my Steam CD Keys to Activate that version? I have paid for my License of this software, what media the data is installed from should not matter.

Edit: I just read in another thread that you have to continue to verify the integrity of the files, as steam will not update/correct the files the first time.

After my 5th time verifying the integrity of the game files it seems to be working a little better. But verifying T3 corrupts the expansion, verifying the expansion corrupts T3.

Edit 2: After verifying file integrity on T3 and AP back and forth about 7 times each, the game now seems to have all the correct files.

Riot Bananas
05-18-2010, 02:16 AM
Hi!

You must be new here.

Zing.

Burningfeetman
05-18-2010, 02:57 AM
In what order should we be verifying the Tropico 3 & Tropico 3: Absolute Power files?

I'm up to my 2nd verification of Tropico 3 after downloading the Absolute Power expansion...

2reddy
05-18-2010, 05:21 AM
In what order should we be verifying the Tropico 3 & Tropico 3: Absolute Power files?

I'm up to my 2nd verification of Tropico 3 after downloading the Absolute Power expansion...

I uninstalled tropico 3, installed it back, then installed expansion pack. Works fine for me!

Easier than verifying dozen times...