PDA

View Full Version : What's included in the coop beta

SnowBrigade
05-18-2010, 03:21 AM
Hello everyone,

So the next update will be the Beta. I'll keep a list here on what will also be included/added:

On-line coop

Primary and Secondary weapons: Switch between them at any time

Allow weapon selection in Survival Mode

Sentry Guns can be upgraded a third time to an Advanced Remote weapon station

New Powerups:

NoReload: No reloads needed for 30 seconds
New Perks:

Heavy Armor: Doubles armor (requires Armor)

Hoarder: The more grenades you carry, the slower you move but you also take less damage

Bomb Fanatic: Grenade Zombies always drop a crate of grenades on death

Heavy Seekers: Doubles the number of seekers released

Rage Unlimited: When you pick up Rage, no reloads are needed for the duration of the powerup

Beacon: Causes an air strike at the target crosshairs. Countdown is visible from 5 seconds before each strike hits.

New Weapons:

Minigun

Tweaks:

Slight adjustments to the player hit box/zombie hit range, zombie speed.

Barricade Sentry Gun ammo bars will flash if out of ammo

Then what's in the pipeline/on the to-do list and may be included (or may follow in another update):

Weapons:

Directed Energy Weapon

Harpoon: Slices through every zombie it hits. Would work well as a Secondary weapon.

Perks:

Mine upgrade (along the lines of a heavy electric charge)

Game Mode:

Free Play Encounter. New game mode where events happen at intervals during Free Play

ZelDerX
05-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Barricade Sentry Gun ammo bars will flash if out of ammo

Thats my idea :D i even suggest that you hear a sound when they get out of ammo (like the bell in tf2 when you hit someone)

Quick
05-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Omg, :D thanks Snow, Luv ya'! :D You actually like idea about minigun, and even double armor upgrade... :)

Edit :

Forget something to say. Well you did like idea upgrading turrets to 3rd level :) so you will make them just like i suggested this 1) I Have idea how can upgrade turrets to 3rd level. They will stay in FWL level but when you upgrade they will come with 2nd barrel. (idea from tower defense games ) well still possible upgrade it faster fire rate, more clip inside...etc. or just with 2nd barrel? If not then what it will be changed? :D

Mastix
05-18-2010, 10:20 AM
So, when is it coming? :~)

Rhylos
05-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Is movement speed changed at all? I.e. lone wolf?

SnowBrigade
05-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Hello Rhylos,

Lone Wolf was reduced by 10% in the last update. The original speed increase (25%) was probably too much.

The new 15% is noticeable but not so much that it allows you to outrun most of the zombies.

Since it was a suggested perk, I think the only option we had was to either remove it or to reduce it. Bringing it down to 15% should be enough that it's no longer the best perk, but still probably a must-have if you don't mind losing those powerups.

In the next update there will be some slight tweaks as far as the zombie/boss speed is concerned as well as the player hit box. Some bosses seem to be able to follow you a little too well in Barricade mode once you get too close - We'll adjust that a little.

Rhylos
05-18-2010, 12:16 PM
But the problem is that it's too good. Even at 15%, you still need it to survive longer than you could without it. I say make reflexboost stronger and remove lone wolf. Or add another +speed perk that requires reflexboost.

ColdSeer
05-18-2010, 12:24 PM
I say keep Lone Wolf as it is, but make it require some other perk.

B3RS3RK
05-18-2010, 12:46 PM
I say keep Lone Wolf as it is, but make it require some other perk.

Maybe after Reflexboost?

WaZzUp115
05-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Why not remake it completely but in a way so the name still makes sense, Lonewolf - Rage drops instead of ghosts and sentries..
To compensate, base movement speed should be increased by 5%.

And add a new perk - Acrobatic: Dive jumping requires less stamina.

ChaosStatic
05-18-2010, 04:58 PM
All good suggestions...I don't envy DP right now :)

EnsignBlue
05-18-2010, 08:06 PM
This is awesome! :) Also, is the ability to select what map you're playing on coming to Free Play or was that scratched? You can select which map you play in Barricade, and that's an awesome feature, and I'd love to see it carried over to Free Play.

EnsignBlue
05-18-2010, 08:09 PM
And add a new perk - Acrobatic: Dive jumping requires less stamina.

I know it's kind of silly, but if this perk is added, we already have way too many perks that start with the letter A, it's ridiculous when you look at it in Auto Perk selection. Why not change it to something like "Lithe"?

WaZzUp115
05-19-2010, 05:32 AM
Why not change it to something like "Lithe"?

Because I don't know what that means :P
I was gonna say Agile but then I remembered why you wanted it changed in the first place :P

What about endurance?

Rhylos
05-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Someone suggested in another topic the perk name Linebacker for a perk like that.

fluffybot
05-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Someone suggested in another topic the perk name Linebacker for a perk like that.

Actually "someone" suggested a re-work of the dodge system and possibly expanding on it. Linebacker would be the suggestion of making the dodge do damage, and would probably require Trailblazer. Then again, Trailblazer itself is frustratingly unreliable (stops working towards the roll part of the dive, which makes sense realistically but really lowers the overall usefulness of the perk) so Linebacker would have to be pretty damn impressive to compensate for that.

And another feature that'd be pretty neat is canceling out of a roll with a melee smash if a melee weapon is equipped. Damn fun, that'd be.

Whodigiya
05-21-2010, 05:16 AM
If two users purchase the game, but are in a situation where they have a poor internet connection will we be able to LAN the co-op offline?

ColdSeer
05-21-2010, 09:37 AM
LAN is offline...
You can play Coop through a LAN Connection already,
but you need to be online to conect to steam, then to play NR.

WaZzUp115
05-21-2010, 11:22 AM
LAN is offline...

You can't play lan, only local coop on the same screen..

B3RS3RK
05-21-2010, 11:39 AM
LAN is offline...

Wrong.You can go in offline modus in steam and then play Nation red...Lan would be kind of cool but not really necessary.

ColdSeer
05-21-2010, 01:57 PM
You cant go offline on steam without first being online.
I know it's pretty much senseless, and such system only works when you actually know that your internet is going off, but well...w/e.

You can't play lan, only local coop on the same screen..
Oh right! I totally forgot it was in the same computer, and not through LAN Connection.

B3RS3RK
05-22-2010, 05:07 AM
You cant go offline on steam without first being online.
I know it's pretty much senseless, and such system only works when you actually know that your internet is going off, but well...w/e.

Nope...Try starting Steam without a Internet connection, it will give you the option to start in offline mode...

Whodigiya
05-22-2010, 06:47 AM
Being able to play on my own computer with another player would be great so I wouldn't have to worry about the screen stretching when one player is checking sentries. Also, I've frequently misclicked while player 2 was choosing his perk and selected one for him due to poor timing and the desire to not be killed by a horde of zombies.

You totally can LAN other Steam games offline so it'd be nice to be able to LAN this one as well. The guy who I play with wants to get the game for himself anyway so it'd be another buying point for people in my situation that don't want to squeeze in behind a small laptop screen.

Offline LAN is pretty much necessary for people in my current situation, by the way. Otherwise I'd never be able to game with my pals. That's what makes TF2 and L4D still playable even without an internet connection.

ColdSeer
05-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Nope...Try starting Steam without a Internet connection, it will give you the option to start in offline mode...

Nope, it will say "Unable to connect to steam services" or somenthing like that.
I just tried it, your turn xD

WaZzUp115
05-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Nope, it will say "Unable to connect to steam services" or somenthing like that.

The offline mode is for people with laptops who know when they will have a connection or not..

Whodigiya
05-23-2010, 12:11 AM
I've been playing games offline for a long time. For all those people bickering over whether or not you can play offline read this:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

Yes, it does exist and it's extremely useful to be aware of. Without it, games like TF2, Killing Floor, and L4D wouldn't be nearly as entertaining for people who aren't always guaranteed an internet connection, but still want to play with friends.

Syncourt
05-23-2010, 11:28 PM
I've got two rather annoying problems which shouldn't be too hard to fix if you would be so kind, I would appreciate it a lot if you could.

1) After you pick Heavy Ammo, you can't reload while your bullets are within the 25% extra ammo range.

2) The 'Enter' key on the keyboard cannot be bound. As an arrow key gamer, this badly conflicts with my control scheme that I use in every other shooter, as reload is usually bound to my Enter. I haven't noticed anything else that even uses the enter key to conflict.

Some other weird minor graphical things I noticed in barricade-Warehouse:
If you move to the very top of the map, you seem to be able to see too far ahead. The very top left and right corners of the map will 'shadow' other effects (textures, crosshairs, power-up timers ect.) like some sort of weird kaleidoscope.

I also noticed that you seem to be able to see too far ahead because you can see zombies that you can't actually shoot, you even see the bullets going right through the zombies & bosses but without hurting them until they manage reach a certain point.

Last one is something that could be a bit more of an issue, it seems that if you kill any standard zombies outside of the map's movement boundary (in freeplay or barricade) they will never drop power-ups or weapons. This is a bigger issue on warehouse due to all the zombies approaching and attacking the wire fence from behind this border line, you can potentially hold them behind the fence for a while but you will not get any drops whatsoever.

Do you have remember my username/password options turned on? These are required for starting steam in offline mode, and you must have logged into steam with these options turned on first for it to store the data ready for offline mode. I know there's a guide around somewhere on how to run steam in offline mode if you are that determined just do a search. One of the tricks i remember was even disabling your ethernet (network) card.

Whodigiya
05-24-2010, 08:13 AM
I know there's a guide around somewhere on how to run steam in offline mode if you are that determined just do a search.

Once again, the link is in my post for all those interested.

Syncourt, I believe that the creator prevented drops from appearing behind the fence in order to present a slight dilemma. You can hold the Zombies far back and go without power ups or you can let them trickle through to see what you get. That and I guess he figured there'd be no real reason to go back there anyway.

Syncourt
05-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Once again, the link is in my post for all those interested.

Syncourt, I believe that the creator prevented drops from appearing behind the fence in order to present a slight dilemma. You can hold the Zombies far back and go without power ups or you can let them trickle through to see what you get. That and I guess he figured there'd be no real reason to go back there anyway.

Yeah I figured that might be the case. Though you wouldn't need to go past the fence as it could easily spawn them inside the border like they do with boss power.

On another note, I noticed a pretty big exploit/bug for barricade warehouse playing the other day. What email should I send this to just in case it is unknown?

Quick
05-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Hey Snow, i just wonder when you gonna release new update, cant wait for it. :)

SnowBrigade
05-25-2010, 12:15 PM
What email should I send this to just in case it is unknown?

Hello Syncourt,

Fixed the three issues you reported and will be in the upcoming update. Thanks for the heads-up on these;)

Regarding the exploit, you can pm me if you'd like; that's probably easier than emailing.

If you want to email, there is an email address on the Nation Red website (www.nation-red.com) if you click 'get it now'.

SnowBrigade
05-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Hey Snow, i just wonder when you gonna release new update, cant wait for it. :)

Hello Quick,

Well coop is done; I've been playing it myself so it could literally be any day now when it's released on Steam.

It'll be a Beta just in case people find some small issues to fix but anyone can access the Beta, no need to get a key.

I'll keep pushing for the Beta to be released asap, but no doubt it's coming soon.

Mastix
05-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Hello Quick,

Well coop is done; I've been playing it myself so it could literally be any day now when it's released on Steam.

It'll be a Beta just in case people find some small issues to fix but anyone can access the Beta, no need to get a key.

I'll keep pushing for the Beta to be released asap, but no doubt it's coming soon.
I love you dude

Morter
06-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Its been a week since the last post on this update. Anything? =(

bloocheese565
06-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Are you going to have to forward any ports to play the co-op? This is a real turn-off in some games for me because I simply can not *I have tried* set up a static IP.
-----------------------------------
Never mind I found a work around :D

JK_DC
06-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Any updates? The beta was originally supposed to be out in January as I recall. It must be really difficult to do. lol

TBbadmofo
06-08-2010, 12:39 AM
Snow there is still an annoying bug in local coop, where if player 2 has their perk menu open player 1 can click and choose player 2's perk and vise versa.

WaZzUp115
06-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Snow there is still an annoying bug in local coop, where if player 2 has their perk menu open player 1 can click and choose player 2's perk and vise versa.

Yeah, that was supposed to be fixed two or three patches ago :(
It really ruins the experience..

B3RS3RK
06-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Yeah, that was supposed to be fixed two or three patches ago :(
It really ruins the experience..

Itīs LOCAL coop.Just beat your partner if he chooses the Perk for you.

LOC
06-08-2010, 02:09 PM
OMG how does one get access to the beta version anyway?

Or will the version with online co-op be coming out like, soon-ish on Steam?

Rhylos
06-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Man I check here everyday for an ETA and still nothing ;_;

TBbadmofo
06-08-2010, 02:46 PM

It's not on purpose if your sitting there firing away with a glock and he opens his menu, then you just chose whatever the first perk was for him. But yeah it was supposed to be fixed when LOCAL coop first came out.

WaZzUp115
06-08-2010, 05:05 PM

It's not like you do it on purpose..
It's a pain because you can't just select a skill at anytime because your partner will select one automatically when he presses the fire button (which he does a lot while shooting zombies)..

As it is now you have to inform you partner that you're going to select a skill and he has to stop firing until you've done so..

B3RS3RK
06-09-2010, 04:47 AM
Okay, I havenīt thought of that.Yeah, that should probably be fixed.

JK_DC
06-09-2010, 07:15 PM
No word in over 2 weeks?

TBbadmofo
06-10-2010, 12:28 AM
Maybe the zombies got him, or... maybe he's scared to release online coop cause he knows he'll get dominated! c:

ColdSeer
06-10-2010, 10:11 AM
maybe he's scared to release online coop cause he knows he'll get dominated! c:

lol!
Definitely this!

SnowBrigade
06-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Hello everyone,

Sorry was away for several days for developer business:( I have emailed Valve to tell them the coop Beta is on their ftp and if they can set it up.

They will need to give us an access code you can type in when starting Steam so that you play Nation Red Beta update instead of the regular version of the game.

The Beta is built on Steam Friends. This means that when you start Nation Red, you'll see a list of your friends and their status (off-line, on-line, playing Nation Red or playing another game, etc.)

Setting up a coop game is simple: choose the type of game you want to play, turn on/off Friendly Fire, Anti-Perk, etc. and then select your coop friend.

He'll get an invite and can see what type of game you want to play. Then he can start the game straight away or make changes to what you proposed and invite you back (for example he can turn off Friendly Fire or play Barricade instead of Free Play etc.)

Other major changes/additions are you can select the type of weapon for Survival, you can also choose the Free Play map you want to play (and we're adding more maps apart from the current Warehouse and Desert map). Apart from that the Beta will have the bug fixes for the reported issues, new perks, etc;)

B3RS3RK
06-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Thatīs nice, but...

Could we have coop with randoms aswell, maybe in the final?I currently only have one friend that owns Nation red and it isnīt even installed on his PC at the moment(Well, he will install it again when coopīs out, but he wonīt be online and willing to play always...)

SnowBrigade
06-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Hello B3RS3RK,

Of course it's possible to add random Lobbies as well;) The Beta is mostly to get feedback on the gameplay. We can always add a lobby or server play if needed.

Friends-based play has a lot of advantages though:

- First, they don't 'really' need to be your friends. When we add the Nation Red group next week, you can just add one or more other NR players. If you add only a couple, you'll have much longer lasting gameplay than servers which eventually run out of players.

- It's easy to start MP games: If you add Friends from the Nation Red group, you can simply start up the game and see who's on-line playing NR and invite them.

- It's less likely friends will cheat. This is especially important because of Anti-Perk mode and Friendly Fire.

- It also builds on the Steam community.

But no worries, the multiplayer part of NR is built on Valve's code so it's possible to add a lobby/server-based gameplay.

Basically if the Beta gameplay works, adding the rest will be pretty easy.

ColdSeer
06-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Hey SB, welcome back!
You've been gone for a few days, eh? :D

Anyways,
Will the servers have a maximum of 2 players only? Like in Local-Coop?

Syncourt
06-13-2010, 02:32 AM
you'll have much longer lasting gameplay than servers which eventually run out of players.

oooo I'm wondering the same thing after that line. :D
(would be good because I will have 2 friends with NR soon which means somebody gets left out and it's not gonna be me!)

Hawkb
06-13-2010, 02:36 PM
And is there going to be an option for dedicated server, if it would be useful?

Rhylos
06-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Come on SB where's our update!? We're normally pretty patient but this is getting ridiculous.

Syncourt
06-19-2010, 12:49 AM
Come on SB where's our update!? We're normally pretty patient but this is getting ridiculous.

Has already been sent to valve, but you know how quickly they work :rolleyes:

Am getting impatient too though, hanging to play some NR again without the zombies getting stuck on me. :o
I've had to resort to playing dawn of war 2 last stand mode for past 2 weeks to fulfill my survival desires. Still checking every day for info though lol.

ColdSeer
06-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Has already been sent to valve, but you know how quickly they work :rolleyes:

Am getting impatient too though, hanging to play some NR again without the zombies getting stuck on me. :o
I've had to resort to playing dawn of war 2 last stand mode for past 2 weeks to fulfill my survival desires. Still checking every day for info though lol.

I've been doing exactly the same!
Althought I'm hoping that NR Coop won't get boring as soon as DoW2's Last Stand did.

EnsignBlue
06-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Chill out, bros. It's in Valve's hands, and Valve was at E3 all week and was gearing up for it before that. It's like how the major NR update got pushed to the side when they launched the new GUI for Steam. Updates for indie games are probably somewhere at the bottom of Valve's to-do list (above only "Work on Episode 3"), and there's nothing that yelling at DiezelPower will do to make Valve work any faster. Instead we should be using this time to be thanking DP for releasing an incredibly steady, incredibly long chain of quality post-release content for absolutely free, rather than, say, charging $15 for three new maps and two ports.

DP might also be busy working on their next game, since they obviously can't rely on Nation Red being profitable forever. As much of a labour of love as this game is for both DP and the community at some point DP, as a company, needs to focus on their next release.

Syncourt
06-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Chill out, bros. It's in Valve's hands, and Valve was at E3 all week and was gearing up for it before that.

I don't think they sent their whole crew there, mainly more important people that can publicize their upcoming games. But I doubt the steam updates crew has anything to do with the group that goes to E3. I've had a number of updates for other games during this time too. (L4D2, TF2, HL2, Magic DotP, and Spectromancer) but not the one update that I'm waiting for ;)

SnowBrigade
06-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Hello Syncourt,

EnsignBlue is right that having E3 didn't help to speed up the Beta on our side:(

But it's available now and also includes more single player additions apart from on-line coop;) I guess we could have released it as an update but as a Beta we'll be able to fine-tune it and add/change more stuff over the next few days.

Multiplayer will probably open up a whole new set of options so I doubt we're done with Nation Red anytime soon..

TBbadmofo
06-30-2010, 10:22 PM
-snip

Syncourt
07-01-2010, 04:20 AM
it's available now and also includes more single player additions apart from on-line coop;)

Weeee! :D

*dances away happily*