PDA

View Full Version : Sam & Max/Monkey Island - Worth getting?

jwylie15
05-18-2010, 09:14 PM
As I wait for the inevitable release of Left 4 Dead's 1 & 2, and since I've about driven Portal into the ground, AND since I'm just looking for an excuse to spend my money, I was thinking about the TellTale pack. I liked the Strong Bad game that I played on my Wii, so I know that these guys know what they're doing. The only problem is, I don't: I've never played a Sam and Max OR Monkey Island game, ever.

So, I was hoping that you guys could give me some info. What kind of games are they? I'm assuming something in the vein of "point-and-click". Are they good? Is it worth $30 for 5 episodes of both?

Thanks!

wsippel
05-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Sam & Max in particular kicks all sorts of ♥♥♥. It's quite anarchic and twisted, really funny, and probably worth the $30 in itself (I've only played the first two seasons, though). I've also loved Monkey Island back in the day, the first two games that is, but I haven't played any of Telltales Monkey Island games yet. Telltale usually does a fine job, though, so I guess they're fun as well. Anyway, you can get just Sam & Max or pay a few bucks more for five episodes of Monkey Island on top of that, so I'd consider that a risk worth taking.

And yes, both series are point and click adventures.

jwylie15
05-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Do I need to know the story of the first two seasons (I assume "Devil's Playhouse" is the third) to get the story of this one?

thom-22
05-19-2010, 01:40 AM
I just finished playing Sam & Max Season 3 episode 2 that was released today, or rather yesterday since it's half-past midnight in Calif. It was fantastic. (I bought direct from Telltale, the Steam version should be released later today with the other new Mac games.)

Do I need to know the story of the first two seasons (I assume "Devil's Playhouse" is the third) to get the story of this one?

There are some characters from Season 2 that return in Season 3. While you really don't need to know anything about them to enjoy Season 3, it wouldn't hurt. Telltale also released the Mac version of Season 2 on Tuesday; not sure if it will be available on Steam today or not. So you might consider playing Season 2 first. At least you will get all five episodes immediately, whereas Season 3 is still in progress.

Amander
05-19-2010, 04:34 AM
Sam&Max is totally worth it. Very very funny (unless you're only into political correct humour)