PDA

View Full Version : Should I get this game?

Zx573
05-19-2010, 04:29 PM
I've been interested in the game since the moonrise patch and have been trying to decide whether or not to get it. I've been browsing the forums to get a feel for how the community is for this game and the conclusions I've found are these.

-Its an awesome game
-Community requests and problems are addressed
-Not nearly a large enough community
-Not enough servers
-Servers have too high of ping
-Limited map selection

That list has quite a few negatives on it but the two positive carry quite a bit of weight. And concerning the third one, if no one joins because too few people play, there will never be enough people to play. Also I live in Central Oregon so if someone from a similar area could tell me a little about how many lower ping servers are in that area it would be appreciated.

My computer should be able to run this fine. I have an ATI Radeon HD 4870, an Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200, and two gigs of RAM.

So you guys tell me do I go for it? Wait till me and my two friends who are also interested can find a fourth guy to pitch in for the clan pack? Or wait for the next patch and hope for a sale?

ELASNO
05-19-2010, 06:14 PM
In the long run the fun you are going to get compensates for the rest.
I don't regret buying it. And I have to play in window mode lol but the game is great, you will love it.

blueyes77
05-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Once you try what zero-g offers, you will love it:D

I have played since release of this game and everyday i want to go back to playing SH:D

I always wanted go to space, but playing this i am quite happy camper and makes me imagine what's beyond those stars.

vasanx
05-21-2010, 07:08 PM
LONG-O POST ALERT. READ IT, SKIP IT. JUST DON'T BIYACH BOUT IT, PLS?
I've been interested in the game since the moonrise patch and have been trying to decide whether or not to get it.

-Its an awesome game (ditto)
-Community requests and problems are addressed (very true)
-Not nearly a large enough community (i blame this squarely on the lack of promotion and no retail publishing than the whole Dx9 "issue")
-Not enough servers (during weekdays, yes. but there's always a couple of servers active, all the time.)
-Servers have too high of ping (which is why the dedicated server files were released a long time ago. sadly, no one wants to host even though they have insane connections like 8Mb down. Host your own server and let others come to you and you'll get the awesomest ping eva. :D)
-Limited map selection (Pre-Moondust, yes. But we have 8 now. And i'm sure more is on the way. it is a small team so...)

And concerning the third one, if no one joins because too few people play, there will never be enough people to play. Also I live in Central Oregon so if someone from a similar area could tell me a little about how many lower ping servers are in that area it would be appreciated.

You're amazing for that one line alone. If only more ppl can see the light the way you do.

As for the low ping server, i have no idea tbh. But you said you have 2 more friends who are interested in SH so... my suggestion is, you guys shud decide who has the best rig and connection so that you guys can host your very own private server.

Look here under Bandwidth Settings for further details: http://shatteredhorizon.wikia.com/wiki/Dedicated_Server_Guide

If you guys need help setting it up, i'll be more than willing to help.

And if you guys prefer the more, professional solution, go here to rent a dedicated, dedicated server: http://www.nfoservers.com/order.php

You shud at least give the 2 day trial a go. it's ridiculously simple to set up and the pricing is awesome. Too bad i'm too far away and i was getting pings in the 200s.

But yeah, there you go. I've been trying to tell everyone, new and old players alike, to start their own servers and play within your region coz much of the SH experience has been marred by ridiculously high pings like 400+.

lets play a sub-100 ping game with graphical settings that matches your hardware CORRECTLY. (If you meet the min. requirement, then, you can ONLY play at the min. resolution: 1024*768. Not 1280*1024! Not 1680*1050! And i wont even include 1080p here coz that's just wrong)[/B]

So you guys tell me do I go for it? Wait till me and my two friends who are also interested can find a fourth guy to pitch in for the clan pack? Or wait for the next patch and hope for a sale?

Definitely go for it. And, you shud definitely get a 4th guy to capitalize on the Clan Pack offer and, if you cant get a close friend, try promoting the game in a local gaming forum or even a local steam group.

Coz dats what i've been doing since last week.You can see my thread here: http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1419502

i've approached...*checks list*....59 ppl so far. And out of the 59, i've managed to find 3 who has the game since christmas but they stopped playing because A) the thought the one gun formula was lame (their loss) and B) no local server. closest we had was an Aussie server with a ping of 132 and even the Aussies dont play SH that much .

Also, from that same 59, i've managed to convince 15 ppl to actually take a peek at my thread and now, i have gotten 3 of em steam passes and i'm still looking for more.

And look, i know my post looks like, "Oh, look at me! Look at me! I'm the best SH fan eva. No one comes close" and all that nonsense.

But no, i'm not gloating.

I'm simply hoping that i can inspire ppl to undertake the same effort to help SH stay alive long enough to see the day where XP and Dx9 cards no longer appear on Steam Surveys.

That my friend, is the day when SH will fire off into the halls of PC gaming fame, is there is such a thing.

For now, I cant wait to see what other DLCs FM will release and I really want to give them more of my money but they keep releasing all these free stuff. I mean, if Rebellion can charge, why cant FM, rite?

And of course a single player campaign when they can find a publisher and expand their team. The cutscenes alone will be worth the 59.99 price tag! Just look at this one...

http://www.youtube.com/v/z5rhOU24HKw&hl

urizenhimmel
05-24-2010, 01:32 AM
well, you've definitely convinced me to get the game (your words combined with the video, that is). It'll be interesting to see how they figured out how to do 3-d motion on a simple keyboard.

ComradeLenin
05-24-2010, 01:47 AM
I think OP might have some issues running this game because his processor doesn't meet minimum requirements.

He would be getting CPU lag as was stated by FM Jarnis:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14948331&postcount=18

His CPU is 500 mhz slower than the one stated as the minimum requirement.

Zx573
05-24-2010, 10:13 AM
I think OP might have some issues running this game because his processor doesn't meet minimum requirements.

He would be getting CPU lag as was stated by FM Jarnis:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14948331&postcount=18

His CPU is 500 mhz slower than the one stated as the minimum requirement.

Well that sucks

FM_Jarnis
05-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Just FYI; next patch is hopefully going to reduce CPU load noticeably, so it may very well help with systems that technically don't meet the minimum requirements. I can't guarantee it (minimum requirements are what they are), but you should definitely try again when the patch is out.

Which is Soon(tm).

Zx573
05-24-2010, 12:23 PM
It would be cool if I didn't have short term memory loss. I forgot to mention that my processor is overclocked to 3.5 ghz (15x233) So that explains why ComradeLenin says it doesn't meet requirements and the check thing on the shattered horizon website says I pass.

ComradeLenin
05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Gah! I am so sorry!

Lots of lack of sleep these past few days and a mix up with Intel's naming scheme.

The min req says Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 which is actually a 2.4 GHz dual core processor. In my Google searches I accidentally mixed it up with the Pentium Dual Core E6600 which is 3.06 GHz and part of the lower end Intel dual core lineup.

Your Pentium E5200 is part of the same series as that 3.06 GHz one. It's based on the Core 2 architecture but a bit slower.

Regardless, with a 3.5 GHz OC you should be fine.

Zx573
05-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Ok sweet, now I just need to get around to switching over to windows 7 and I can get it.

vasanx
05-24-2010, 07:23 PM
well, you've definitely convinced me to get the game (your words combined with the video, that is). It'll be interesting to see how they figured out how to do 3-d motion on a simple keyboard.

WOOT! WOOT!

haha. Man, it feels gud to know all that typing was worth it after all.

Every new SH combatant is a welcome addition to our "tiny" community.

You guys just wait for the day when the 720 comes out + Valve moves on to a DX10/11 only Source 2.0 engine. That's when the SH player base will expand exponentially. :D

ELASNO
05-26-2010, 03:11 PM
It'll be interesting to see how they figured out how to do 3-d motion on a simple keyboard.

Mwa ha, ever played Descent?

3D motion is not that difficult, you will get used soon.

Oh sorry,
Welcome to the game!! :D

vijil
05-26-2010, 11:44 PM
3D motion is done in a very obvious and simple way.

WASD for the usual, the spacebar is normally jump so that naturally becomes up, and the crouch key (I like shift but it's often C) naturally becomes down. Roll is done by holding the right mouse button and moving the mouse - which is very fast and very intuitive.

It's an excellent and very well thought out system. Some time ago I wrote out design documents for a system which was identical bar the roll - I could never quite figure out a good way to do roll when you're using a mouse. FM have hit the jackpot imo.

Of course I plan to get one of these: http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat9.htm and use the thumb wheel for roll :)

I would buy SH whether I ended up playing it or not just to support the devs, and support the creation of good original games like this. The fact that there are enough servers around to let me play a decent amount is a bonus.

Leox001
05-28-2010, 07:05 PM
This game is all kinds of awesome.

Sure there are certain annoying glitches, but FM is actively developing fixes and patches and adding new gameplay functions to enhance the experience.

If you got a mid-end PC or better, and a 5.1 sound system, you will LOVE this game (like me)

I recommend it.

(Also, excuse my crap english)

Zx573
06-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Ok, I had to hunt this thread down from the depths of the forums so I could thank the people that convinced me to buy this. I ended up waiting for the sale, I've only got a little bit of playtime since I wasn't able to participate in the free weekend but I am still very satisfied with Shattered Horizon so far.