PDA

View Full Version : Civ4 Listed twice

spoziuk
05-21-2010, 12:41 PM
For some reason Civ 4 is listed twice for me in my games browser, one as installed and one as not available for my platform. Anyone else getting this?

note: Running on windows.

MacDragon
05-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Everyone is, it's the bodge that was originally made to give people that bought it on or after 12'th mac version aswell as pc, but was then later changed to be given to everyone. But for whatever reason, seem to have been unable to get rid of second entry for now at least.

jrregan
05-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Has anyone tried to get on a Mac and see if it installs?

MacDragon
05-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Well, that was the point of both of them showing.. so that it could be installed, my forum id might give a clue that I just might have tried it.

spoziuk
05-21-2010, 04:58 PM
If thats the case, why isn't portal listed twice? if it was working properly, it should detect the platform and only show the version compatible with it.

DutchRichy
05-21-2010, 06:04 PM
The thing is, that it didn't work when it was listed once.
This is like a 'quick solution'.
Logically they 'fix' this.
I also don't like a game listed 2 times, which is 1 game actually.

TheTruePhoenix
05-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Annoying yes... Easiest solution I've found is to make a catagory for them called "zzzz" (so it's down the bottom) then just send them all to it... you can then close the catagory so you basically don't have to look at them...

Otherwise wait for the fix I guess... Well that or see if Steam will let you send the "mac" version to some wierd mac using friend you may know...

MacDragon
05-25-2010, 10:59 AM
If thats the case, why isn't portal listed twice? if it was working properly, it should detect the platform and only show the version compatible with it.

Because, as I noted, it was originally a bodge to not give everyone that already owned civ the mac version, only people that bought it on or after 12'th, and it would appear steam was not designed to give access rights on a more fine grained basis. but this decision was then changed to give it to everyone. But for whatever technical reason, it's had to remain as two entries, as the initial attempt to fix it failed.

digitalanime
05-28-2010, 07:30 AM
Still this needs to be fixed.

Why not create a filter in the gamelist that only shows games compatible with your OS so that if you run Steam on Windows it shows only the Windows version and on the Mac OS the Mac version.

I hate workarrounds and this issue is only with the Civilization IV series, no problem with all the other Mac compatible games that I already own.

Toothball
05-29-2010, 08:57 AM
I noticed this recently too. I had bought Civ 4 for PC before the Mac version, when it was on offer. At the moment both are listed as being installable though. Guess it's good to know it's not just me.

MacDragon
05-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Still this needs to be fixed.

Why not create a filter in the gamelist that only shows games compatible with your OS so that if you run Steam on Windows it shows only the Windows version and on the Mac OS the Mac version.

I hate workarrounds and this issue is only with the Civilization IV series, no problem with all the other Mac compatible games that I already own.

There is an option to only show mac compatible title on the mac version, I guess they haven't added one on pc yet as technically there are no mac only games yet, other than this civ iv duplication issue.

MacDragon
05-30-2010, 04:46 PM
I noticed this recently too. I had bought Civ 4 for PC before the Mac version, when it was on offer. At the moment both are listed as being installable though. Guess it's good to know it's not just me.

Both will remain so, too, unless they fix things so everyone only has entry again. It appears there was a change of heart on take2's side, so everyone has access to both.

Semiotical
05-31-2010, 12:50 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one this is happening to. I'll just create a folder to hide these until this is fixed. Thanks.

upr1z3
05-31-2010, 06:24 PM
Yeh I saw this too, its annoying
There is no filter to hide the mac games either :/

xayu
06-04-2010, 08:30 AM

Coz when Valve decided to go mac they made their games cross compatible. But they didnt think to ask Firaxis if Civ4 was cross compatible if you look at retail versions of Civ4 there are mac versions and pc versions not a cross compatable version so simply put Valve buggered up. So now you have dupes in your games list and your community page I doubt this fact will ever be fixed.

mdiehl0717
06-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Annoying yes... Easiest solution I've found is to make a catagory for them called "zzzz" (so it's down the bottom) then just send them all to it... you can then close the catagory so you basically don't have to look at them...

Otherwise wait for the fix I guess... Well that or see if Steam will let you send the "mac" version to some wierd mac using friend you may know...

That's what i did. Only my category is "mac".

JoeTheZombieKid
06-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Why not just show the Installed games only? I've installed all my games except the second Civ 4 and it gets rid of it.

Mattkips
06-09-2011, 10:25 AM
It's the daily deal today and it's still putting two copies in the library :mad:

Eleima
06-10-2011, 07:00 AM
Agreed. I just bought it today (since my hubby keeps stealing my discs), and noticed the bug as well. A quick Google search yielded this thread, and I just don't understand why this still hasn't been fixed. :(

ShakaUVM
08-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Agreed. I just bought it today (since my hubby keeps stealing my discs), and noticed the bug as well. A quick Google search yielded this thread, and I just don't understand why this still hasn't been fixed. :(Yep, it's still happening.

Bloody annoying.