PDA

View Full Version : FEAR 1 widescreen?

spyrochaete
05-21-2010, 03:45 PM
I seem to remember FEAR 1 only supporting 4:3 resolutions, so even my old 1280x1024 monitor couldn't run at native resolution. Is there a workaround for this? If so I will buy these games immediately!!!! Finally a decent FEAR game to buy on Steam!

spyrochaete
05-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Answering my own question here, perhaps.

I checked the Widescreen Gaming Forum (http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/F.E.A.R.) which says that the game natively supports widescreen as of version 1.0.8. I'll take a chance a buy it and will report back with my findings.

StingingVelvet
05-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Yes, it perfectly supports widescreen when completely patched.

Askjosh
05-21-2010, 04:14 PM
awesome that is another reason why i should go ahead and buy this game, I mean at $10 its not like i would be mad if it went on sale a month or two down the road

velvetmeds
05-21-2010, 04:31 PM
one question, instead of creating another thread.

does it work fine on win7 64 bit?

Askjosh
05-21-2010, 04:36 PM
dunno but i guess i will find out when i get home :-)

spyrochaete
05-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Yes, it perfectly supports widescreen when completely patched.

Yesss! Thanks for the confirmation!

I'll be amazed if it doesn't. The only software I have trouble running in a 64-bit OS is 16-bit applications for MSDOS or Windows 3.1.

DrippingCheese
05-21-2010, 04:41 PM

I'll report back in the morning on that, I'm off to bed.

glasseye67
05-21-2010, 05:06 PM
When I had an LCD monitor it ran good on widescreen I remember.

Overt.Enemy
05-21-2010, 06:26 PM

I've got over 500 games, they all work with Windows 7 64bit. Can you even name one *decent* game that doesn't? I can't think of a single one. Not to mention even if there was one that didn't you could download Virtualbox for free and run it from there.

Selfdestructive
05-21-2010, 06:31 PM
I've got over 500 games, they all work with Windows 7 64bit. Can you even name one *decent* game that doesn't? I can't think of a single one. Not to mention even if there was one that didn't you could download Virtualbox for free and run it from there.

hey pal sup.

I would say probably System Shock 2 doesnt work on win7 (i wont have win7 till next month so im not sure) it certainly didnt work on vista.

MADDOGGE
05-21-2010, 06:52 PM
hey pal sup.

I would say probably System Shock 2 doesnt work on win7 (i wont have win7 till next month so im not sure) it certainly didnt work on vista.I had a friend come over with SS2 on a flash drive ages ago. It played fine on Win7 then, which surprised me because once along time ago I tried playing the demo on XP and it kept crashing as you got off the train at the recruitment center. I don't however know if it had been modded in anyway by some 3rd party. He said it was called a portable? Whatever that means.:confused: He disappeared when his job got outsourced so I can't ask him now.

JG Seven
05-21-2010, 11:58 PM
F.E.A.R. (the original game) and Perseus Mandate have widescreen support, but Extraction Point doesn't appear to. Weird!

AnubisArc999
05-22-2010, 12:02 AM
F.E.A.R. (the original game) and Perseus Mandate have widescreen support, but Extraction Point doesn't appear to. Weird!

Yes, this is true and always thought it was strange too. Extraction Point can only do max 1600x, kinda sucks.

JG Seven
05-22-2010, 12:04 AM
EDIT: Wow. I should have read that better. It's in your Public Documents folder...

Apparently, you can force a custom resolution (http://www.widescreengaming.net/wiki/F.E.A.R._Extraction_Point) for EP by editing its settings.cfg, but I can't seem to find it...

Also, are the games starting up for you all in compatibility mode by default on Windows 7, as well?

Choster
05-22-2010, 12:05 AM

Its because they both run on the patched fear engine. Fear did not have official widescreen support until a later patch. Extraction point never got updated and perseus was made after the final patch to fear. Extraction point can do widescreen if you edit the config file though.

Darth Postal
05-22-2010, 01:02 AM
FEAR 1 natively supports Widescreen and Mouse Buttons 4 and 5.

For expansions you need to edit config file.

StingingVelvet
05-22-2010, 03:11 AM
hey pal sup.

I would say probably System Shock 2 doesnt work on win7 (i wont have win7 till next month so im not sure) it certainly didnt work on vista.

It works, though you have to do some extensive modding to it.

The only game I know of that does not work under Vista/7 is Metal Gear Solid 2, which is just completely incompatible with modern sound cards/drivers. If you disable your sound card it will work, but then you have no sound.

DrippingCheese
05-22-2010, 05:16 AM
Works like a champ on Win 7 x64. Haven't tried the expansions yet, just been basking in the max quality settings I've never been able to run before!

spyrochaete
05-22-2010, 06:38 AM
Well, I've just played the base game for a few minutes but it works perfectly at 16:10. The config screen gave a warning saying that the game wasn't designed for this resolution but it let me increase the size of the HUD and everything looks smooth and beautiful.

Man, I got goosebumps watching the opening sequence. I remember running the demo off a PC Gamer magazine disk and getting like 4 frames per second. Now the intro, the game, and the benchmark all run at 60 frames in full resolution widescreen and it looks SO GOOD!!!

Gorthauran
05-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Changing the resolution doesn't seem to change the field of view correctly on a 1360x768 setting. I'm getting a bad case of the "stretchies" on objects, corpses etc when viewed at the bottom of the screen. Although it's amusing to see a dead guy with really long legs I'm not playing this game for comedy gold value lol. Is there any manual fix for the FoV? Widescreen gaming forum says it changes automatically with the resolution but it doesn't seem to be the case here for said resolution. I also get motion sickness from these distorted FoV's in FPS games.

Pfeuff
05-24-2010, 08:26 PM
For those of you who are using Vista/Win7 and are trying to find the settings.cfg for FEAR Extraction Point,
here it is:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\TimeGate Studios\FEARXP

Please, no need to thank me.....

Painseeker
05-25-2010, 11:18 AM
For those of you who are using Vista/Win7 and are trying to find the settings.cfg for FEAR Extraction Point,
here it is:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\TimeGate Studios\FEARXP

Please, no need to thank me.....

I don't care if there's no need, my monitor won't display unless the res is exactly 1440x900. I need that file location to be able to even play the game :P

So thanks :D