PDA

View Full Version : Another secret update?

SlugNut
05-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Max Payne 1 just downloaded something and I don't know what. Any ideas?

Grey Fox V1
05-21-2010, 05:54 PM
You would think Steam would have a policy of requiring developers to include Steam patch notes by now.

spoziuk
05-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Yup, they must have been lazy with the steam compatibility for the original too, the only thing that was changed was the main executable.

bb10
05-21-2010, 06:08 PM
I just had Max Payne 1, GTA:VC and Midnight Club II update.

Trench419
05-21-2010, 08:07 PM
I caught mine while it updated this evening, 774 Megs. x_english.ras, x_music.ras, x_data.ras, x_level1.ras, x_level2.ras, x_level3.ras were created for the majority of the DL, and maxpayne.exe was modified. Started it up to see what had happened, and get this error window as soon as the loading screen pops up: "Exception in engineInit: X_SharedDB: Weapons "empty" and "empty" had same ID" Anyone run into this problem?

spoziuk
05-21-2010, 08:29 PM
no change in them for me

http://imgur.com/sCrOD.png

Jito463
05-21-2010, 08:56 PM
I, too, only have an updated executable. No change in the .ras files. What's interesting, is the difference in size between maxpayne.exe and testapp.exe. While testapp.exe (a duplicate of the original executable) is 4.72 MB, the new maxpayne.exe is 6.00 MB, making it 1.28 MB larger. I wonder why?

Coffeecup.
05-22-2010, 03:24 AM
The update consisted of removing the nocd crack from the exe and implementing a proper official nocd code.
It looks like rockstar used cracked exe's on A LOT of their games, and now that the community is catching on they are "fixing" it.

DarkjeThe2nd
05-22-2010, 05:45 AM
Okay, the EXE file got updated. It looks like this time it was no downgrade, so it's good I suppose.

The cracked+wrapped exe's where working fine too, but there's no way to be sure there's no other load in them, so A recompiled exe from steam themselves is even better, provided it does not cause other problems.

As for the soundpatch:
- Patched files remained patched. (at least for me they did)
- Patch is still working and still needed, unpatched game has no sound on cutscenes.

Trench419: It looks like your whole game got verified, if it also downloaded the ras files. Supposing you used the soundpatch before, I'm afraid you will have to re-apply it. The patch will detect what happened and sync it's backups on first startup, after that its just a new convert.

Elbart
05-22-2010, 06:10 AM
The update consisted of removing the nocd crack from the exe and implementing a proper official nocd code.
It looks like rockstar used cracked exe's on A LOT of their games, and now that the community is catching on they are "fixing" it.

Max Payne 1 is still cracked:
http://i47.tinypic.com/rh00tw.png
At least it's still up-to-date.

And Max Payne 2 is not "cracked" but outdated (1.0.98 instead of 1.1.102).

Embarrassing.

Jito463
05-22-2010, 06:33 AM
Hmm, after looking at your pic, I decided to try ProtectionID on testapp.exe. Looks like testapp does not contain the Steam code, while the new maxpayne.exe does. That's very interesting.

*EDIT*
After reviewing Max Payne 2 again, it looks like it's the same. The original executable (testapp.exe) does not contain the Steam code, while the 'new' executable does.

DarkjeThe2nd
05-22-2010, 08:15 AM
the new exe popped a firewall outgoing traffic alert, it's calling home for something...?