PDA

View Full Version : Rar for Faster downloading


Fried
05-21-2010, 05:18 PM
The downloading speed of steam is amazing! But the thing I made this thread is, can steam make a Rar version of downloads for experienced user? Because I would really love to download faster so I don't lag my family.

Thanks.

Epsilon
05-21-2010, 06:02 PM
How would that in any way help?

Tannekr
05-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Especially since Steam downloads are already compressed.

SD24
05-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Especially since Steam downloads are already compressed.
It does? I was unaware of that. I've never seen Steam unzip anything and glancing at the files while they download, Steam just seems to download all the uncompressed files, bit by bit.

Regardless, eventually though, Steam kinda would need to use a better, perhaps proprietary compression method. I mean yes, people are getting faster Internet day-by-day but still, there's nothing you can lose by reducing the file size. Infact, you'll make it more lucrative for people that are on slower connections and/or are simply unable to upgrade it due to circumstances beyond their control.

Epsilon
05-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Steam downloads the data compressed, and decompresses it before it's written to disk.

They have a vested interest in reducing the amount of data transferred anyway; Valve's bandwidth costs must be insane.

Fried
05-21-2010, 07:43 PM
How would that in any way help?
For faster downloads.

And I didn't know steam already compresses it, if the compression is really like...compressed then the file inside it must be HUGE!

Maledict21
05-21-2010, 09:14 PM
For faster downloads.

At the expense of longer decompression times. They have to be careful about the type of compression that's used; I don't think rar would be a good choice for game data.

Fried
05-21-2010, 09:56 PM
*Fixed because I wrote something wrong*

Tannekr
05-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Yeah, no compression method is that good.

Maledict21
05-21-2010, 10:57 PM
It doesn't have to be Rar, but when I was downloading this file from World of warcraft beta, the file was 2GB! And the rar file was only 6mb! I was amazed :D:cool:

I have an extremely hard time believing this. Maybe you could pull it off if it was 2GB of very similar text, but other than that I doubt it.

amnesiasoft
05-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Yeah, the only way that's happening is if the data is very, very redundant. And in that case, someone is being really, really inefficient.

Fried
05-21-2010, 11:25 PM
Woops! *Facepalm, of course you wouldn't believe that, I was thinking of those words in my mind and wasn't really concentrating, I accidentally wrote it in! Please forgive, I cannot believe I wrote that in!

Also this thread really is about can Steam try to reduce file sizes? Because soon I'm going to get the Orange Pack...but downloading it is going to be a pain!

Maledict21
05-21-2010, 11:33 PM
Woops! *Facepalm, of course you wouldn't believe that, I was thinking of those words in my mind and wasn't really concentrating, I accidentally wrote it in! Please forgive, I cannot believe I wrote that in!


Yeah, we can only dream of that kind of compression for game downloads. ;)


Also this thread really is about can Steam try to reduce file sizes? Because soon I'm going to get the Orange Pack...but downloading it is going to be a pain!

If downloading is really that much of a hassle for you, why not just pick up a retail copy of the Orange Box?

ultradude25
05-22-2010, 12:08 AM
If they did use a standard compression file type, they would use 7z or Bz2. They're far superior to Rar.
Valve games already use Bz2 compression for file downloads (If the server has set it up properly, of course) so it's not like they'd have to recode it.

Fried
05-22-2010, 01:40 AM
If downloading is really that much of a hassle for you, why not just pick up a retail copy of the Orange Box?

Plus I'm going to get Counter Strike and Garry's mod, Lol.

Mangr0v3
05-22-2010, 02:38 AM
The inbuilt Steam Backup has compressed all 8GBs or so of TF2 content onto less than a 4.7GB DVD for me, I assume they use the same compression for downloads.

Maledict21
05-22-2010, 02:06 PM
The inbuilt Steam Backup has compressed all 8GBs or so of TF2 content onto less than a 4.7GB DVD for me, I assume they use the same compression for downloads.

If this is true, it must only be so for Valve's games. It seems that it does, in fact, download uncompressed data for other games at least. For example, the download manager in Steam shows that it downloads approx. 8GB for Red Faction: Guerrilla, and its file size on disk is about the same.

As far as I'm aware, the backup utility compresses every game.

Dreadjaws
05-22-2010, 02:31 PM
The downloading speed of steam is amazing! But the thing I made this thread is, can steam make a Rar version of downloads for experienced user? Because I would really love to download faster so I don't lag my family.

Thanks.

Do you mean "experienced" in downloading illegal backups?;)

Honestly, I don't think how it would help, since with Steam the download speed is the same as your connection speed. Also, the rar downloading would probably lag your family even more. I share the connection with a friend, and all he downloads comes in rar files (I have no idea what, I've seen some "Elvis Detector Software" and some "Prison Break fanfiction" in his PC once, I prefer not to ask), and he lags my Steam downloads massively. Whenever he downloads, he gets about 80% speed while I get the remaining 20%.

Fried
05-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Whenever he downloads, he gets about 80% speed while I get the remaining 20%.
Happens to me too!


Do you mean "experienced" in downloading illegal backups?;)

Whaat? Nope, you might be joking but if I were to download illegal backups wouldn't I not get a illegal version of the "Orange Box"?

P.S
I'm getting it somewhere today!:D

Me2nice
05-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Yeah, we can only dream of that kind of compression for game downloads. ;)



If downloading is really that much of a hassle for you, why not just pick up a retail copy of the Orange Box?

He's still going to have to register it with Steam, which will then DOWNLOAD the game once he provides the CD-key.

Mangr0v3
05-22-2010, 06:20 PM
He's still going to have to register it with Steam, which will then DOWNLOAD the game once he provides the CD-key.

He will only need to download all the updates since October 10, 2007.

Maledict21
05-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Yes, and out of the games in the Orange Box, only TF2 has a significant amount of updates in terms of file/download size.