PDA

View Full Version : Failed to find Steam

gatchmaster
05-22-2010, 01:45 AM
Hi All,

I am running Windows Vista 32bit

When I try to run the game via steam I get the usual popup window asking me if I want to trust the game and then I get an error window that says Vampire failed to find steam.

Has anyone else come across this before?
If so do you have a solution for it?

Cheers!

Shanky12
07-25-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm getting to the same issue, did you find a fix?

Calysia
07-25-2010, 08:36 PM
I have gotten that same message i bought this game months ago and still havent been able to get it working i stopped trying for a while now it gives me a completely different error and that is the "Failed to find Steam" i am awaiting a response after i submitted a screen shot to steam support, if i do happen to get it working i will copy paste w/e instructions they gave me for it.

Shanky12
07-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks a lot. I'm not understanding what the deal is either. I was playing it before hand (barely, but I have another thread talking about that), but now it gives me this failed to find steam error. For some reason it appears this game is too much trouble then it's worth.

Vain Pageantry
07-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Yesterday I for the first time installed Windows 7 on my laptop. Once I redownloaded VTM: Bloodlines I got both the "Cannot find steam" error and others on top of that in both VTM and Quake.

I just installed UT III:Black and it installed Direct X and Ages Physx as well as OpenAL. Now atleast VTM is working. Try reinstalling Direct X and Open AL and see in that helps.

Maybe its an odd quirk?

Chuvash12
05-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Can someoen please just tell me how to fix it?

tuishimi
05-12-2011, 12:20 PM
If you install Bloodrayne on W7 it dies on startup. So the fix (someone else posted and verified) was to set compatibility mode to XP... which I did. But now I get the "Failed to find steam" error. Frustrating.

trickster8009
06-08-2011, 03:39 PM
I have the same issue with the "Failed to find Steam". Any news, updates ? It's really bad to lose 20$ in the fire for that. I googled for this problem and I find a lot of questions but no solutions.
:mad:

Rastrelly
06-28-2011, 03:10 AM
Try searching for cracked .exe of the game. It can solve the problem with searching of Steam. Not perfect solution - but why the hell, you've paid for the game!

Also I receive this message only when I launch game NOT from Steam UI (I have Win7 x64). Launch directly from Steam works fine for me.

Casstevens
07-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Is this seriously not resolved? This thread appears to end here, and I'm just now having the problem since the game was a $4.98 sale. I wish I could play! Any words of wisdom as to a solution? To recap; I loaded the vampire game. Wouldn't start because it thinks I only have 15% of memory. Then I update the unofficial patch (wesp5 or something) and now starting game it says "Failed to find Steam". A little help would be greatly appreciated.

DPW
07-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Win7, had the same problem. Ran Steam and vampire.exe as an administrator, fixed it.

Sparky01GT
07-30-2011, 08:42 PM
does the search button not work on these forums? I've never seen a forum where so many people ask the same questions over and over.

DPW
07-30-2011, 09:24 PM
They totally need to sticky the "how to get the game to run on Vista/Win7" thread

DarkByke
07-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Disable UAC on windows first of all. Second, look around the threads in Vampire to see if other users have your issue.

fenixraven
07-31-2011, 11:17 PM
open your library... play it from there

Amorio
08-01-2011, 12:28 PM
I am running Windows 7 64 bit with 6 GB of RAM. I've tried every suggestion on this forum I could find and I'd get either "Failed to find Steam" or "~15 MB" error. I tried launching the game from Steam, from the .exe, with/without Administrative rights, XP compatibility mode, etc.

How I got it working was to disable the UAC (user account control) as DarkByke said. In the control panel, in "action center", on the left will be "Change User Account Control settings". Open that and pull the slider all the way down and press OK. It will ask you to restart, say yes. Vampire is incompatible with the UAC.

I then disabled automatic updates for the game in steam, and set compatibility on the game's actual .exe to [Windows XP SP3, Disable visual themes, Disable desktop composition, disable display scaling on high DPI settings, Run this program as an administrator]. Then I ran the game through Steam. IT WORKED! Now I can install the community patch (which to install requires the game to run once first :rolleyes:). After installing the patch un-tic all the compatibility options on the .exe except "Run this program as an administrator". Make sure automatic updates is still off.

Still runs fine! Now for widescreen...

Heavyside0
11-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Amorio's suggestion worked for me. Masquerade just really does not seem to like UAC. I ran the unofficial wesp5 patch and everything still works.

MumbleMumble
11-28-2011, 05:56 PM
i have this same problem, win xp sp3 for an operating system. "failed to find steam"?? this when i'm trying to launch from the library or store page.

"work around"!? why should i go out of my way to fix something that was broken, and could in theory could be un-broken by the very people that broke it in the first place. user created, unoffical, 3rd party programs and other stuff should not be required to play the game i bought from steam. just steam and the game.

gamesfreak26
12-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Hmm... Odd.

I have Win7 64bit, UAC running and the game not running in compatibility mode and I got it working just fine...

I got it working by opting in for the Steam beta so you could change the game to not "automatically update" and to "disable the Steam Community". Then just installed the lastest patch and it works fine.

@ MumbleMumble:
You do realise the game itself was never completed, right? That the studio went broke before the game was completed, right? And, that the unofficial patches add content to the game, right? Also, you've probably never played Oblivion with mods...

CenturyChild
12-07-2011, 11:09 PM
I get his every great now and then myself.

The solution for me is quite simple.

1st off, if you use the unofficial patch for the game, close Steam (completely exit) and patch the game.

Then, start and run Steam as Admin, and launch Vampire.
You only need to do this 1 time!!

Once Vampire starts the 1st time after the patch is applies, close and exit out of Steam and restart it normally.

```` In the future if you ever get "Can Not Find Steam" error ..

I found the easiest thing to do is close and exit steam completely.
Then, restart it.
The game will launch normally now.

BTW, for those who clould not diable autoupdate for the game, you can now. New Steam patch fixed it.

MumbleMumble
12-08-2011, 08:47 PM
@gamesfeak26: you are correct, i've never played oblivion with mods.

i found a work-around for can't find steam. exit then restart steam, found this one by accident.

but on the topic of unfocial patch, where do i find it and how do i install it? (i'd like everything in a single post)

Wesp5
12-09-2011, 03:00 AM
but on the topic of unfocial patch, where do i find it and how do i install it? (i'd like everything in a single post)

You can find it here: http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php and you just need to point the installer to your Bloodlines directory, which should be \steamapps\common\vampire the masquerade - bloodlines.

darknyarth
03-03-2012, 04:42 PM
This is crazy.

I just bought this game for the little deal they were having. My Direct2Drive version didn't work either but this Failure to Find Steam sort of seems like it doesn't appreciate my install folder being on a drive other than C.

I tried all the above troubleshooting and it didn't work. Not out a lot of cash, but until I decide that this 5 dollar game is worth some time to dig, what a waste.

Very frustrating, steam.

Corsaire
03-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Try this and see if it works for you.

http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2272436

darknyarth
03-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Got through that error only to get 'Problem checking steam application'.

This is the last 'older' game I'll be buying from Steam.

ubercraz007
03-04-2012, 01:33 PM
I get it all the time, just restart steam and it should work.

demonslayer2222
03-05-2012, 04:50 AM
Also get this message, but like some have said already exit and log back in, the game now works.

TheOnlyTrueZak
03-10-2012, 05:26 AM
It happened all the time with Titan Quest Immortal Throne. And now this game can't launch. Wtf?

CenturyChild
03-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Exiting Steam, then logging back in always fixes it for me.

valex-jedi
07-31-2012, 03:55 AM
too old thread, but it was first on google searh and nobody posted a solution yet, so here it is

valex-jedi
07-31-2012, 03:57 AM
misterbk

Here's the guide I posted in an older thread (because it was #1 on a Google search for this issue.)

I believe "Failed to find Steam" happens because the game makes incorrect assumptions about the location of Steam, only looking in the default location for a 32-bit Windows machine:

C:\Program Files\steam

If you have 64-bit Windows or have chosen a custom location, the game will "fail to find Steam" because it's only looking in that location.

Users of 64-bit Windows have Steam located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\steam

The solution is to add your Steam location to your path. I would love to give thanks to the thread that showed me this solution but it took the mods a day to activate me, and I've lost the link.

Here's how to fix it -without- using copy protection disabling hacked .exe files:

1: Right-click on "Computer" (in XP it was called "My Computer") and click on Properties.

2: in Vista / 7, on the left click on "Advanced System Settings". On XP, Google search for how to change your system path, because I can't quite remember where things were in XP.

3: In the Advanced tab, you'll see a button for "Environment Variables". Click it.

4: In the upper section of that new window, you should see something like "User Variables for [your username]". Scroll through to find the one called "PATH".

5: Highlight the entry for "PATH" and click "Edit...".

6: You'll get a too-small text box that has a field on the top for "Variable Name" and a field under it for "Variable Value". Put your cursor into the "Variable Value" field and hit the [End] key so you know you're not inserting text in the middle of another entry. If you push the right arrow key it should not scroll.

7: Add a semicolon [;] to separate your new entry from the others. This is the key to the right of the 'L' key, without pressing Shift.
Correct -> ;
Incorrect -> :

8: Paste in the path to Steam, which for me on a default-install Windows 7 64 system is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

9: Press OK, and re-launch Steam so that it gets the new environment variables. (It might work without re-launching, but hey why not.)

10: Run the game normally!

This should work with any custom location of Steam, for any games that have trouble finding Steam when they launch.

Disclaimer: I do not intend to say that nobody needs to replace the .exe to play Deus Ex GOTY without issues. This solution took me to the point of being able to launch the game via Steam. I may end up needing a patch of some sort to fix other issues, but this solved problem #1.

valex-jedi
07-31-2012, 04:03 AM
simple and efficient solution, just tried and it worked for me

Wesp5
07-31-2012, 04:36 AM
simple and efficient solution, just tried and it worked for me

You might try to tell some Steam developers about this!

jwburks
08-15-2012, 07:55 PM
I did all of that, but now instead of saying "Failed to find Steam", now it says, "Problem checking Steam application". What a joke.

DarkByke
08-16-2012, 08:10 PM
I did all of that, but now instead of saying "Failed to find Steam", now it says, "Problem checking Steam application". What a joke.

Did you move files from the install directory? I can't help but think you're trolling after all this time.

SMorose
08-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Having this exact same problem win7 64

changed to compatibility mode
restarted steam
changed the path
restarted steam

and now I'm getting a "Problem Checking Steam Application" error.

Mr_ButtStab
08-28-2012, 01:30 PM
EDIT: Nevermind. Saw that the same solution was already posted.

MangAnimE001
09-12-2012, 02:48 AM
You might try to tell some Steam developers about this!

I sent it to Steam support, well attached it to my last reply. Their suggestion was to use msconfig to limit RAM to 2048Gb & reboot (every time I wanted to run the game).

This seems to be more a Win7 problem as I'm running Win7 32bit & got the error, yet same hardware with WinXP 32bit & it ran fine.

Prisoner416
09-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Have you tried running the game in offline mode?

Have you tried reinstalling, then applying one of the two patchs available?

Some people have reported having luck with one patch but not the other, so you might want to try both. You'll have to reinstall the game to try a second patch though, since the two are incompatible.

franjrp92
10-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Restarting Steam always does the trick for me. Not a big deal.

James Henry
10-31-2012, 11:28 AM
misterbk

Here's the guide I posted in an older thread (because it was #1 on a Google search for this issue.)

I believe "Failed to find Steam" happens because the game makes incorrect assumptions about the location of Steam, only looking in the default location for a 32-bit Windows machine:

C:\Program Files\steam

If you have 64-bit Windows or have chosen a custom location, the game will "fail to find Steam" because it's only looking in that location.

Users of 64-bit Windows have Steam located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\steam

The solution is to add your Steam location to your path. I would love to give thanks to the thread that showed me this solution but it took the mods a day to activate me, and I've lost the link.

Here's how to fix it -without- using copy protection disabling hacked .exe files:

1: Right-click on "Computer" (in XP it was called "My Computer") and click on Properties.

2: in Vista / 7, on the left click on "Advanced System Settings". On XP, Google search for how to change your system path, because I can't quite remember where things were in XP.

3: In the Advanced tab, you'll see a button for "Environment Variables". Click it.

4: In the upper section of that new window, you should see something like "User Variables for [your username]". Scroll through to find the one called "PATH".

5: Highlight the entry for "PATH" and click "Edit...".

6: You'll get a too-small text box that has a field on the top for "Variable Name" and a field under it for "Variable Value". Put your cursor into the "Variable Value" field and hit the [End] key so you know you're not inserting text in the middle of another entry. If you push the right arrow key it should not scroll.

7: Add a semicolon [;] to separate your new entry from the others. This is the key to the right of the 'L' key, without pressing Shift.
Correct -> ;
Incorrect -> :

8: Paste in the path to Steam, which for me on a default-install Windows 7 64 system is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

9: Press OK, and re-launch Steam so that it gets the new environment variables. (It might work without re-launching, but hey why not.)

10: Run the game normally!

This should work with any custom location of Steam, for any games that have trouble finding Steam when they launch.

Disclaimer: I do not intend to say that nobody needs to replace the .exe to play Deus Ex GOTY without issues. This solution took me to the point of being able to launch the game via Steam. I may end up needing a patch of some sort to fix other issues, but this solved problem #1.

THIS ^^^

Brilliant and thanks for the help!

I also had the further problem saying "Failed to check Steam applcation" but setting the EXE to compatibility mode and running as administrator solved that.