PDA

View Full Version : Fear 1 - 'C: Drive Only' Limitations Removed?

StANTo
05-22-2010, 01:39 AM
Hey all,

I have the original FEAR on disc and one problem I encountered with it, is that it expects to be installed to the C: drive and refuses to run properly from any other lettered drive.

Is this still the case with the Steam downloaded version?

I prefer to install to my terrabyte drive F: and keep my C: drive for windows install / apps - that and if this download is 17GB, I only have 3GB free on it :S

Thanks.

CerberusDog
05-22-2010, 01:42 AM
My retail version works fine from D drive.

StANTo
05-22-2010, 01:46 AM
Is that 'retail steam' or 'retail original disc' ? If the latter, good for you. :P

CerberusDog
05-22-2010, 01:47 AM
Latter as that former doesn't exist that I know of. Only had issues with setting the User folder to my D drive mostly due to forgetting the command.

StANTo
05-22-2010, 01:49 AM
Fear 1 was just released on steam today hence my question.

AvistTorch
05-22-2010, 02:29 AM
My copy of the original FEAR (the CD version) installed just fine on my external drive.

nudge
05-23-2010, 01:03 AM
Both fear and extraction point work with me, but Perseus mandate for some reason wont install unless on C, its the only reason why i haven't played it :P

Darth Postal
05-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Both fear and extraction point work with me, but Perseus mandate for some reason wont install unless on C, its the only reason why i haven't played it :P

Had the same thing with retail CD. It's a bug of the installer. I installed the game on my friend's PC (he had enough free drive C space) then RARed the folder and wrote it to DVD-R. Un-RARed version worked fine from any drive.

Since Steam doesn't use the installer, Perseus works fine.

Zyat
05-23-2010, 01:49 AM
I have all steam games installed on drive F, a drive dedicated just to games. The steam version of fear and the expansions work fine for me.

seseorang
05-23-2010, 03:36 AM
I think the game you are referring to is not FEAR, but FEAR: Perseus Mandate. This was annoying to overcome itself. It would always say ANY OTHER drive as empty, even if you know there is plenty of space. It would only install to C:
The Steam version would just download to where it's supposed to go.

spyrochaete
05-23-2010, 08:27 AM
My Steam directory is on my G: partition with all my games, and FEAR 1 works fine. I'm almost through the whole game with no issues.

mesaone
05-23-2010, 09:12 AM
I also have the non-steam release, installed to my G: drive. Works fine.

Of course, the steam games will work no matter that drive your Steamapps directory is on

Sgt_Pepper
05-23-2010, 09:24 AM
hey, mine is H: partition and works just fine, every single steam game includin FEAR of course

nudge
05-23-2010, 09:53 PM
I think the game you are referring to is not FEAR, but FEAR: Perseus Mandate. This was annoying to overcome itself. It would always say ANY OTHER drive as empty, even if you know there is plenty of space. It would only install to C:
The Steam version would just download to where it's supposed to go.

So is their a work around for Perseus mandate? this would help so i don't have to download an extra 8 gig from steam