PDA

View Full Version : Awesome game - first impressions:

Chronomorte
05-22-2010, 02:16 PM
I am a huge fan of the open-ended space genre - starting a long time ago with Elite, then my previous favorite, Frontier (and later Frontier First Encounters). I've played a lot of space games that have certain aspects that remind me of these (like Privateer and Freelancer) but this is the first game I've found since then that seems to have nailed it! I'm hoping this isn't too quick of a judgement - it's possible I suppose that I'll find that the available places to explore is too small, or that something I've yet to run into unbalances things or ruins the atmosphere, but I've yet to see even an inkling of that.

I was going to point out all the things I like so far and what has annoyed me, but I'll keep this short. One thing that really convinces me that this will be one of my favorite games ever is the availability of various Mods - from cockpit views to trading helpers - and that's just scratching the surface. It's impressive how much the fans and the company that created the game work together - this is a sign that the whole thing will be evolving and improving and will be kept from languishing.

I'm just starting out and it's already obvious how excellent this game is, we need more like this - it won't be for everyone because there is very little 'guidance' as far as being told exactly what to do to achieve various goals. But that makes it all the more immersive and a brilliant canvas that awaits your personal touch rather than the standard narrow road that you simply drive down until you 'win'.

festa_freak
05-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Glad you are having fun. I started on X-Wing Alliance (well that was my first space game). X3:TC (TC is similar to X3:R, I don't know which you are playing) is indeed a unique game. It has one of the best communities I've seen for a game and the game itself is very polished. The first game of this kind I played was X3: Reunion. I bought it from EB used for $20. I know why it was used :P It's a hard one to get into, but the rewards are so worth it once you learn how things work.

A game this big is going to have it's cons, but they are heavily outweighed by the pros. Glad you are having fun with it.

If you are new and need help, you seem to have found it, but check out the egosoft forums. X-Universe to be exact. Your question will be answered quite quickly :P

Chronomorte
06-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Glad you are having fun. I started on X-Wing Alliance (well that was my first space game).
--snip

If you are new and need help, you seem to have found it, but check out the egosoft forums. X-Universe to be exact. Your question will be answered quite quickly :P

That reminded me of Tie Fighter - absolutely loved that game, actually broke a joystick trying to kill a Tie Defender while piloting a gunboat(I think - I remember feeling vastly overmatched and really needing to turn faster) however, what Elite-type games (X3 TC, in this case) have is the opportunity to be the smuggler or evil assassin or greedy businessman or even defender of others - it makes it very addictive because there is no safety net of 'do this, then that', it's completely left up to me to make my way in the X3 universe or fail on my own.

As far as the Egosoft forums, very impressive - what a great community. I have to think it's because Egosoft understands their customer and encouraged all types of modifications. I hope they profit from this impression - I'm so tired of the DRM-filled stuff where the company sees you as just a dollar sign rather than a valuable customer to work for.

Zloth
06-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Hmmm, are you playing this with a joystick, too? Because the DDTC mod has something waiting for you (http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7001/tiedefenderm4.jpg)!

Full list of ships is on their forum (http://www.xforum.chaos.net.nz/viewforum.php?f=35) as are links to download it.

Chronomorte
06-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Hmmm, are you playing this with a joystick, too? Because the DDTC mod has something waiting for you (http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7001/tiedefenderm4.jpg)!

Full list of ships is on their forum (http://www.xforum.chaos.net.nz/viewforum.php?f=35) as are links to download it.

Awesome, thank you - that's insanely well-done.