PDA

View Full Version : Broken US loco brakes

rmssch89
05-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Has anyone had an issue with the brakes on US diesel locomotives lately? In my situation the brake will not engage until about 50%, and then they only apply a few psi unless in emergency. This happens with all my us diesels in every scenario. Verifying the files and clearing the cache did nothing.

Toripony
05-22-2010, 10:58 PM
The general feeling is that the physics parameters (power/braking settings) are not right on the default U.S. locos. Try some of the custom built ones and see if they're better for you.

Tori

(Or, could it be a symptom of a recent upgrade?)

rmssch89
05-23-2010, 12:58 AM
I'm feeling that it has to be the upgrade. I haven't used my US locos since before the upgrade, but now that I try to use them again this happens. Before the problem the brakes would begin to engage at 30% (graduated self-lap,) and the psi would increase gradually all the way up to full emergency.

Theblob76
05-23-2010, 01:55 AM
I'm feeling that it has to be the upgrade. I haven't used my US locos since before the upgrade, but now that I try to use them again this happens. Before the problem the brakes would begin to engage at 30% (graduated self-lap,) and the psi would increase gradually all the way up to full emergency.

Hi, on the US locos, after reaching 30%, the pressure would go up and then stop, it would only increase if you increased the percentage.

arizonachris
05-23-2010, 02:25 AM
Depends a lot on which loco you are driving. They all react differently. I haven't noticed any changes since the last "update" You just have to get a feel for the consist you are driving. Don't be afraid to use the train brakes as well. They are seperate from the loco brakes (AFAIK, anyways)

rmssch89
05-23-2010, 02:15 PM
I meant the train brakes actually. And I meant that the psi went up as the percentage went up. Sorry if I wasn't clear. This issue happens on all the default US locos. Right now the the train brakes will go up to about 50% before adding any pressure. And like I said, it only a few psi then, as in under 10psi.

arizonachris
05-23-2010, 05:35 PM
OK, I'll have to try out my North American routes later and see what's up. Is this steam or diesel locomotive?

rmssch89
05-23-2010, 10:05 PM
The US diesels that came with the game.

Theblob76
05-23-2010, 11:46 PM
I meant the train brakes actually. And I meant that the psi went up as the percentage went up. Sorry if I wasn't clear. This issue happens on all the default US locos. Right now the the train brakes will go up to about 50% before adding any pressure. And like I said, it only a few psi then, as in under 10psi.

The train brakes will increase from the 30% mark, to just before emergency. Once passing emergency, the brakes will increase pressure all the way full.

RSDevTeam
05-24-2010, 06:38 AM
Hiya,

Can you confirm what Control Mode you are using? The symptoms you describe, suggest you are using simple mode, in which you will not have direct control over the brakes.

For the best experience, please change to Expert Mode.

Regards

Theblob76
05-24-2010, 08:07 AM
The train brakes will increase from the 30% mark, to just before emergency. Once passing emergency, the brakes will increase pressure all the way full.

I use expert mode also.

rmssch89
05-24-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm on expert as well.

rmssch89
06-11-2010, 03:07 PM
I tried playing the game on a friends pc and still get the same errors. So it can't be something unique to my copy of RW.

Toripony
06-12-2010, 04:30 AM
Does this, perhaps, have something to do with the way that you apply the brakes? The reason I ask that is that I can make the train brakes apply at different psi depending on the way I work the controls. If I just "hit the brakes" by running the brake pressure up to 30-35% in one keypress, the psi runs straight up to around 15-17%. But, if I apply 30-35%, then quickly release, then before the brake pipe pressure restores to a full 90psi, I quickly engage the brakes again, I will get a reduced psi on the brakes. It's tricky to do but I can get as low as 2.9 psi at 50% train brake application. Or 7 psi, or 11, or... well, it just takes practice. And after you get a low %/psi ratio started, increasing your brake application runs the psi up slowly, like at 1-2 psi per 10% increase in application. I once had the brakes at 95% and less than 10psi (it took MILES to stop a mile long train like this, by the way!!)

I don't know if this is the way it's SUPPOSED to be on a train.... I think it is as this is one way you could completely deflate your braking air pressure and lose control of your train! It works this way in a truck with air brakes so you have to be judicial in your brake usage!

Tori
P.S. Checking my usual "test" (Cajon Pass scenario) just now I found no difference in the braking since I began this game 2+ years ago.

arizonachris
06-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Think of it this way. The brakes rely on pressure to apply. The engine only delivers so much pressure to the brakes. When you apply the brakes, pressure is used up, because that pressure is basically venting, the same was steam does. It's not like a car where the brake fluid stays in the system. So, you will get a huge pressure drop if you are using locomotive and train brakes at the same time.

*sigh* I'm always speeding anyways so I guess I don't have the best advice. :D Can't count the number of times I have blown past a passenger pickup. :o Bad, driver, bad! :D:):eek:

rmssch89
06-12-2010, 11:55 AM
This even happens at the beginning of a scenario before I even start moving. I will release the brakes, and then wait until the reservoir refills to 90, the compressor recharges the brakes, and everything else balances. Then when putting the brakes on nothing will happen until at least 45%, sometimes higher. This used to happen to me a while ago and it was normal, because I would accidentally run down the brake pressure. But now it happens all the time, even when it shouldn't.

Toripony
06-13-2010, 09:48 AM
*sigh* I'm always speeding anyways so I guess I don't have the best advice. :D Can't count the number of times I have blown past a passenger pickup. :o Bad, driver, bad! :D:):eek:

Gee, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! :cool:

Speed-devil,
Tori

arizonachris
06-13-2010, 10:23 AM
This even happens at the beginning of a scenario before I even start moving. I will release the brakes, and then wait until the reservoir refills to 90, the compressor recharges the brakes, and everything else balances. Then when putting the brakes on nothing will happen until at least 45%, sometimes higher. This used to happen to me a while ago and it was normal, because I would accidentally run down the brake pressure. But now it happens all the time, even when it shouldn't.

RM, you also have to remember, this sim is pretty accurate at it's modeling. (despite a few flaws here and there) You have tons of cars behind you, and these trains do not and cannot stop on a dime. It can take a mile for a long consist of coal cars and one loco to stop.

Brakes do not slow immediately. You are looking at tons and tons of weight.

arizonachris
06-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Gee, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! :cool:

Speed-devil,
Tori

ROFL, Tori. :D:);)

rmssch89
06-13-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm not talking about stopping distance. I'm saying that the brakes don't even apply when looking at the f5 stats, gauges, nothing, until at least 45%-50%. With everything charged up in the brake system, they should at least begin to apply at 30%, not necessarily begin to stop.

Here's an example of how this is a problem. I can even take a single loco with no cars, get it going only about 10mph, run the brakes up to 50% (train brakes) and it will not slow at all.