PDA

View Full Version : Turn On Acer's Wireless Network Adapter Without Switch?

rammetal7
05-22-2010, 10:05 PM
I woke up 1 day to discover that my Acer 5515 laptop will not connect to the internet wirelessy becuase "The computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed and configured", unfortunately, My switch that enables the wireless ability does nothing and the led light does not blink.

So basically, How do you turn on the wireless adapter without the switch?

TheMG
05-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Are you sure it's the switch? As in it's physically damaged or something?

You could have a driver problem or the wireless adapter itself could be faulty.

First course of action would be to reinstall the drivers for the wireless adapter. Also check its status in the device manager.

If the switch requires software (usually some sort of hotkey driver/utility) try reinstalling that too.

rammetal7
05-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Are you sure it's the switch? As in it's physically damaged or something?

You could have a driver problem or the wireless adapter itself could be faulty.

First course of action would be to reinstall the drivers for the wireless adapter. Also check its status in the device manager.

If the switch requires software (usually some sort of hotkey driver/utility) try reinstalling that too.
I looked under Device Manager, Under network adapters, only Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller appears.

TheMG
05-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Are there any "unknown device" in the device manager?

rammetal7
05-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Are there any "unknown device" in the device manager?
No, there is not.

NotYourHero
05-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Ok is this vista or windows 7? If so, I have an acer aspire one, and if you have wireless power savings on, it tends to mess it up and the device will stop responding sometimes. Rebooting solves it for me. To completely solve it I turned wireless on max performance in power options.

rammetal7
05-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Ok is this vista or windows 7? If so, I have an acer aspire one, and if you have wireless power savings on, it tends to mess it up and the device will stop responding sometimes. Rebooting solves it for me. To completely solve it I turned wireless on max performance in power options.
I have a vista, the battery is set to high performance.

NotYourHero
05-23-2010, 01:17 AM
I have a vista, the battery is set to high performance.

Might not matter, check its settings to see if wireless is on max.

rammetal7
05-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Might not matter, check its settings to see if wireless is on max.
Wireless is on max.

Petchyy
05-23-2010, 11:34 AM
In the device manager is the adaptor actually showing?

If not it's probably the actual adaptor has failed, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion yet.

rammetal7
05-23-2010, 11:58 AM
In the device manager is the adaptor actually showing?

If not it's probably the actual adaptor has failed, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion yet.
The wireless adapter does not show.

WarLokk1980
05-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Normally if the device was disabled it would still show in device manager. Try pressing Fn and a Function key F1-F12 to see if that works but I suspect the device has failed from the hardware. Have a look at the Wi-Fi card and it should be a Mini PCIe device. Check the model number and look on eBay for a replacement. This is if all else fails.

rammetal7
05-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Normally if the device was disabled it would still show in device manager. Try pressing Fn and a Function key F1-F12 to see if that works but I suspect the device has failed from the hardware. Have a look at the Wi-Fi card and it should be a Mini PCIe device. Check the model number and look on eBay for a replacement. This is if all else fails.
By the way, under network connections the wireless adapter does not show.