PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Half Life 2

ed0War
05-23-2010, 05:26 AM
Hi all. I bought the Valve Complete Pack some days ago, and I began to play Half Life (the first) and today I tried to run Half Life 2 but when I click on "play", appear 2 black screens and the game don't run. The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Help me! Thanks!

gorpie
05-23-2010, 06:55 AM
First thing to try is verifying the cache files for the game in your Steam Library list.

If that doesn't work, need some more info. You say you get 2 black screens. Do you get a window saying "Preparing to Launch"? Do you see the guy with a valve in his head? Do you get any error messages?

Dynamonic
05-23-2010, 07:01 AM
I believe the problem is caused by the fact you have a 64bit OS, whilst Half-Life 2 is only built for 32bit OS's!

Try the following:

Right click 'Half-Life 2' in your Steam games list.
Click 'Properties.'
Click 'Set launch options.'
Type in '-32bit'.
Ok it then try to run the game again!

ed0War
05-23-2010, 07:51 AM
First thing to try is verifying the cache files for the game in your Steam Library list.

If that doesn't work, need some more info. You say you get 2 black screens. Do you get a window saying "Preparing to Launch"? Do you see the guy with a valve in his head? Do you get any error messages?

I verified the cache files and there is no problem. I get 2 black screens after appear the window saying "preparing to launch" but there is not the guy with a valve in his head. And doesn't appear any errore messages.

I believe the problem is caused by the fact you have a 64bit OS, whilst Half-Life 2 is only built for 32bit OS's!

Try the following:

Right click 'Half-Life 2' in your Steam games list.
Click 'Properties.'
Click 'Set launch options.'
Type in '-32bit'.
Ok it then try to run the game again!

I tried. But it doesn't work.

gorpie
05-23-2010, 08:05 AM
You can try lowering your DX level, as described in this Support article (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1216-JMTZ-0860#force).

I'd start at 8.0. If that works, try increasing to 8.1 and 9.0.

If that doesn't work, make sure your graphics drivers and DirectX drivers are up to date (go to your video card vendor's website and Microsoft's site).

You may need to set up a DEP exception in Windows and, perhaps, an exception in your firewall.

seseorang
05-23-2010, 08:13 AM

Uh, yeah, 32bit game 64bit OS - yeah:rolleyes:

Nonsense. 32bit applications will run on 64bit computers with a layer applied. This includes games. I've played Half-Life 2 32bit with XP x64, Vista x64,and with the 64bit upgrade. I miss that upgrade

What are your system specifications?

ed0War
05-23-2010, 10:30 AM
You can try lowering your DX level, as described in this Support article (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1216-JMTZ-0860#force).

I'd start at 8.0. If that works, try increasing to 8.1 and 9.0.

If that doesn't work, make sure your graphics drivers and DirectX drivers are up to date (go to your video card vendor's website and Microsoft's site).

You may need to set up a DEP exception in Windows and, perhaps, an exception in your firewall.

Thanks, I will try.

Uh, yeah, 32bit game 64bit OS - yeah:rolleyes:

Nonsense. 32bit applications will run on 64bit computers with a layer applied. This includes games. I've played Half-Life 2 32bit with XP x64, Vista x64,and with the 64bit upgrade. I miss that upgrade

What are your system specifications?

MotherBoard: GIGABYTE 1156 GA-P55A-UD4
RAM: KINGSTON HyperX 4 Gb ddr3 1333 Mhz CL7
CPU: Intel Core i7 LGA1156 860 2,8GHz
GPU: ATI HD5850 Sapphire 1G

ed0War
05-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks, I will try.

MotherBoard: GIGABYTE 1156 GA-P55A-UD4
RAM: KINGSTON HyperX 4 Gb ddr3 1333 Mhz CL7
CPU: Intel Core i7 LGA1156 860 2,8GHz
GPU: ATI HD5850 Sapphire 1G

EDIT: I follow the Support Article (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1216-JMTZ-0860#force) and I set the autoconfig launch option and now it works.

Thanksssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss !!!!

gorpie
05-23-2010, 10:50 AM
EDIT: I follow the Support Article (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1216-JMTZ-0860#force) and I set the autoconfig launch option and now it works.

Thanksssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss !!!!

I wasn't going to go there, yet. But that's okay. :) Make sure you remove it, since you're only supposed to run it once (if you change any settings in-game, they'll be reset by the command each time you start the game).

ed0War
05-23-2010, 02:49 PM
I wasn't going to go there, yet. But that's okay. :) Make sure you remove it, since you're only supposed to run it once (if you change any settings in-game, they'll be reset by the command each time you start the game).

I did it. Thanks another time!!!!