PDA

View Full Version : GTA IV won't launch. Period.

JakeNova
05-24-2010, 10:27 AM
So, I have already made numerous posts on this forum in different threads and still have not received a solution. I still have to give huge props to Ramzy for making such a great thread on how to even get the game running. However, I have still not been able to get it to launch, let alone see how well if runs on my system.
When I click launch game, the R*SC comes up and I can then press either "Play(Offline)" or just "Play". Everytime I hit either one, it loads for a second or half of one, and then a get a Microsoft Windows window saying "Grand Theft Auto IV has stopped working". Program closed.
I have tried updating all drivers, have downloaded and installed GFWL updates and Windows updates, have tried almost every thing stated in the above stickied thread made by the great Ramzy, and I have still not had any success. I backed up the game files on DVD, went to another computer, installed GTA IV, and if ran. Not the smoothest, considering in only has a Nvidia GeForce 9800. Nonetheless, I still got into the game and was able to play with zero crashes. So, it must have something to do with my PC, not the game files.
My PC specs are:
E7400 ~ 4.0 GHz (400 x 10)
4 GB DDR2 800 (4-4-4-12)
XFX Radeon 4890 1GB(900MHz - 1150 MHz)
All stable.

Thanks in advance for any help. Just ask if you need any more info. I have the problem report from Windows if need be. Thanks again.

blue_commet
05-24-2010, 11:57 AM
First off what version of windows do u have (in both computers). If u have windows 7 like me try running it in vista compatibility mode. Also, make sure it has administrative rights.

JakeNova
05-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Oh, sorry for my incompetents. I completely forgot to include that information. In both computers, I have Windows Vista x64, one is Home Premium and the other Ultimate. The one I am having trouble with is the Ultimate. I have tried running in all the compatibility modes, including Windows 2000 as stated in some threads to help. All led to no success.

seseorang
05-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Have you tried the standard deleting of files in Steam?
clientregistry.blob
steam.dll
in steamapps directory winui.gcf
Deleting all files in Steam except steam.exe and steamapps directory
renaming steamapps

blue_commet
05-24-2010, 12:20 PM
ok i know its a long shot but go into your gta 4 directory (go to start, computer, C: drive, Program files (X86), steam, steam apps, common, grand theft auto iv, gta 4) and pull out all the files (gta 4.exe, paul.dll, scripthook, ect...) and put them in your recycle bin, just dont remove the folders, and then go into steam and verify the game cache files. Also i wouldn't mess around too much with the steam files.

JakeNova
05-24-2010, 05:17 PM
So, I have tried blue_commet's suggestion, deleting the files, not folders, in the GTAIV folder in the game's Steam directory and then verifying cache. I have tried this before, but I am willing to try anything. That did not do any good. I have not tried to mess with the Steam files as all my other 15 or so games work without a problem on Steam. If I need to, I will go and copy the "steamapps" folder and reinstall Steam. Thanks again for the help.

eyehate
05-24-2010, 06:59 PM
I have the same problem.

Used to work fine until I got the episodes.

Was able to play those a couple times and then it just quit working.

Maybe a week or two ago.

Vista system. 1 GB Ati card. Quad core. Other games run stellar.

Not sure what the deal is.

Extreme_0ne
05-25-2010, 12:04 AM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762088
3. Update Games for Windows Live.
Click here. (http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-GB/Support/Pages/technicalIssuesGuide.aspx)

^ this is what worked for my mate that was having the same issue.

eyehate
05-25-2010, 12:32 AM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762088

^ this is what worked for my mate that was having the same issue.

That very well could be my problem. Drivers are all up to date and the game has worked previously.

+1 Rep.

Thanks for the help!

Extreme_0ne
05-25-2010, 05:27 AM
That very well could be my problem. Drivers are all up to date and the game has worked previously.

+1 Rep.

Thanks for the help!

No problem.

If it does work for you be sure to post back here in the hope that it helps others out too. :)

JakeNova
05-25-2010, 07:14 PM
I tried downloading that once again, but did not help any. If it helps to note, I have received a "The procedure entry point WMCreateSyncReader could not be located in the dynamic link library WMVCore.DLL" before with other games and do when ever I run the GTAIV.exe from the directory. Do not know if that is leading to any problems, as I just click "Okay" and the games run, or I get the "Grand Theft Auto IV has stopped working" in the case of clicking the GTAIV.exe file.

Extreme_0ne
05-25-2010, 11:54 PM
You should be launching GTA IV with the "LaunchGTAIV.exe"

tanzadog
05-26-2010, 02:46 AM
/****** So, I have tried blue_commet's suggestion, deleting the files, not folders, in the GTAIV folder in the game's Steam directory and then verifying cache. I have tried this before, but I am willing to try anything. That did not do any good. I have not tried to mess with the Steam files as all my other 15 or so games work without a problem on Steam. If I need to, I will go and copy the "steamapps" folder and reinstall Steam. Thanks again for the help. ******\

Did steam verify the game was ok??? Or did it tell you you was missing files and re-downloaded them??

when I tried removing files from the GTa folder the verifying cache thing was still saying GTA was 100% ok and did not re-download anything....

I has the same problem you have... I tried everything on the net and nothing worked....

The fix for me was:

1)Delete GTA IV Local Files thru steam.

2)Navigate to your GTA IV folder C>Programe Files>Steam etc and delete the actual GTA IV Folder (this is the important bit!!!) Because it still leaves files in that folder.

3) Restart your PC.

4) Re-download all 15Gigs of GTA IV

5) Play the game!!

This worked for me and a few other people. It's a pain in the ♥♥♥♥, But it works.

Just make sure you delete the actual GTA IV Folder, Then restart your computer b4 re-downloading it.

Good Luck!

Tanza.

JakeNova
05-26-2010, 06:30 PM
You should be launching GTA IV with the "LaunchGTAIV.exe"

Thanks. I am aware of that, I just wanted to say that I was getting the WMVcore.dll error.

Ugh, I was planning on doing just that tanzadog. And I have to agree, just maybe a big pain in the ♥♥♥♥. But I don't see how the files are a problem. I have deleted all files from the GTAIV folder, verified, re-downloaded the files I deleted, and that didn't do anything. But then I go and back those same files up and re-install with those files on another computer and they work just fine. I have tried deleting all files for GTAIV from this computer, and re-installed with those files that worked on the other computer. Still did not work. I believe it may have something to do with the computer and the other files or programs on it not the GTAIV files themselves. I will try and do the whole re-download thing next month if I don't get this working, at my download cap for this month. Thanks again for all the help.

eyehate
05-26-2010, 09:45 PM
No problem.

If it does work for you be sure to post back here in the hope that it helps others out too. :)

Yeah.

No work.

New Ati drivers, new GFWL.

Nothing.

It's just a PC thing at this point I think.

Less and less companies support PC games and target everything at consoles.

Oh. Well.

JakeNova
05-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Yeah, kinda sucks though. It is a great game once it works. A very great game. Just wished it would work on my computer. Guess I will play on my 9500. Thanks for the help guys!

PhelanKA7
05-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Try what I suggested in this thread. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1286768)

armen12
11-28-2010, 03:01 PM
I am running into this problem as of just a month ago...I have tried everything everyone has mentioned.

-deleted files/reinstalled them

-deleted all asi and scipt hook files

-updated drivers/gfwl/gta4

Still nothing helps me start GTA4. I keep getting a crash when I attempt to run from launchgtaiv.exe "gtaIV has stopped working", and when i try to start from steam i get "need service pack 1 for windows"

Im on a corei7@2.8GHz /w 9Gb ram DDR3
Ati HD4850 - 1Gb
windows 7 64-bit ultimate.

Yeowj
11-28-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm glad I found this thread.

I firstly have a problem launching since I got EFLC content. Whether I launch GTA4 or EFLC, the social club screen does not appear till the second time I click play.

When it does appear, I log in and attempt to play. I get to the disclaimer screen, then the game crashes. Occasionally, I will be able to get to the music and the game will run fine for the rest of that time.

Big big problems with starting up this game. It was working flawlessly a few months ago.

A. James
11-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Jake,

First, make sure your GFWL client's path directory is the same as your EFLC install directory. I.E. if your EFLC is installed to c>programfiles(x86), make SURE your GFLW client under the settings is set to look at c>programfiles(x86) and NOT c>programfiles. Then go to http://www.rockstargames.com/downloa...s/getPatches/9

And install the patch. Do this by running setup.exe. This should work.

EFLC will not launch unless the patch is installed. Because of some bug with the last update, many cannot update the game through GFWL, it has do be done manually. Once you have patched this game manually with the provided link, then GFWL will pop up after social club sign in and it should work.

Edit: I just browsed through the responses so I apologize if I missed it, but you should uninstall your current GFWL client and redownload it...(unless you did just dl it for the first time). You should do this before manually patching the game.

w0bbl3r
12-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Having pretty much same issue here. Running XP sp3 though, not vista/7.
I only have EFLC installed, and played it fine for the first 3 days or so, then went to play today and BAM, just asks me to log into rockstar garbage ♥♥♥♥e buggery account, which I tried logging in and playing offline, and it comes up with "gta 4 eflc has encountered a problem and needs to close".
I tried downloading the ENTIRE 16-♥♥♥♥ing-GB again, and still the same. Tried many of the things on these forums, nothing works.
There MUST be something we can do, right? Either getting it working or getting a refund, yes? I mean, they couldnt sell you a tv that would only work for 10 minutes, could they? Or a car that had an inhibitor that stopped it from working after you drove it home?
Everyone should be bombarding rockstar for a refund, I am positive we are legally entitled in this case.

JakeNova
12-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Hey A. James,

Thanks for the reply. Just got it now. So, I do not have EFLC, just the boring old GTA: IV. I have patched it up will all patches that I have been told you use, have uninstalled GFWL and re-downloaded and installed it many times. This has not helped. I will try again and see if that helps. Also, I have the Steam version of GTA: IV, so the GFWL game directory setting wasn't the same. So, I changed it to where I have Steam, and all the games I have with Steam, installed. This didn't help. Just got the Social Club log in window, hit either "Play" or "Play Offline" and that closes. I then get the same thing, "Grand Theft Auto IV has stopped working".

As well, that link to the patch is a 404 now. I know it isn't your fault, just letting you know.

Once again, thanks for the reply.:D

gbumoon
10-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Drivers aren't the issue, I had everything working, then it magically stopped working as well. I'm on an ATI with Catalyst Version 11.9. I tried re-installing GTA IV, no luck.

FIX: Control Panel > Uninstall "Games for Windows Marketplace" re-download from here:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/PC/DownloadClient
and re-install.

Woohoo! GTA IV again (finally!!!) :P