PDA

View Full Version : What kind of DRM will Blur use?

acare84
05-25-2010, 12:36 AM
I searched the forums but I couldn't find it. Anyone has bought retail version of the game? It is using Securom or Steamworks or other kind of DRM? I hope it is using Steamworks because I can't prepurchase the game from here on Steam. If it is using Steam as a DRM, I will buy it retail. Thanks.

carson_uk
05-25-2010, 02:40 AM
I hope it connects to my Steam account, I've also pre ordered from a store (hasn't been dispatched yet tho) I know alot of poeple are against this but I do like updates to be done automaticly, being able to find my friends etc etc and lets be honest, other DRM is terrible, like having to be connected online in order to play? please...

But I guess we won't know for sure until some tries their retail copy.

dragon875
05-25-2010, 09:20 AM
I hope to find this out soon, whenever my copy decides to show up today.

Suicideking1000
05-25-2010, 01:41 PM
I have been trying to find this info out. Have had no luck so far. I contacted Activision's Customer Support with:
"What type of DRM does Blur use?"

Their Response:
"We would not know. We do not have access to that information."

So I shoot back a response:
"Do you have any idea of where or who I would be able to contact to find out what DRM the PC version of Blur uses? I assumed as the publisher of the game, that information would be made available to (or even decided by) Activision. I always try to find out what DRM PC games use before purchasing them. It impacts my decision, and I have not been able to locate that information. Amazon and gamestop don't even have system requirements listed. And no place I have looked at has the DRM system shown, including Steam, Direct2Drive, Wal-Mart and Bestbuy. In todays world of Ubisoft like DRM, a lot of us PC Gamers like to know what we are actually buying."

They shoot back another response:
"You can try the forums here and see if you find anything: http://www.bizarrecreations.com/

They are the developer of the game. That's all that we know."

So I searched Bizarre Creations forums without luck. Found their facebook page and asked them there. Still waiting on a response.

strangemodule
05-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Seems like Steam is the only "DRM" it uses, besides the obvious CD Key needed to make an account to play online.

Suicideking1000
05-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Does that include the boxed versions as well (using Steamworks), or just the Steam version?

dragon875
05-25-2010, 02:04 PM
I am still waiting for my copy to come in the mail (UPS...:mad:)

Once I get it, I will confirm what DRM it has.

Does that include the boxed versions as well (using Steamworks), or just the Steam version?

I think that is only for the steam version of the game.

carson_uk
05-25-2010, 02:13 PM
I have been trying to find this info out. Have had no luck so far. I contacted Activision's Customer Support with:
"What type of DRM does Blur use?"

Their Response:
"We would not know. We do not have access to that information."

So I shoot back a response:
"Do you have any idea of where or who I would be able to contact to find out what DRM the PC version of Blur uses? I assumed as the publisher of the game, that information would be made available to (or even decided by) Activision. I always try to find out what DRM PC games use before purchasing them. It impacts my decision, and I have not been able to locate that information. Amazon and gamestop don't even have system requirements listed. And no place I have looked at has the DRM system shown, including Steam, Direct2Drive, Wal-Mart and Bestbuy. In todays world of Ubisoft like DRM, a lot of us PC Gamers like to know what we are actually buying."

They shoot back another response:
"You can try the forums here and see if you find anything: http://www.bizarrecreations.com/

They are the developer of the game. That's all that we know."

So I searched Bizarre Creations forums without luck. Found their facebook page and asked them there. Still waiting on a response.

That goes to show how much of a ♥♥♥♥ activision give about this game on PC

dragon875
05-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Alright. I finally got my retail copy of the game. If anyone is still interested, this is what I found:

I can confirm that Blur requires the CD to be in the drive in order to play. (Unsure on which CD protection is in use)
There are no install limits. You can install this as many times as you want.
In the game case, there is a cd key printed on the manual. This key is not needed for installation of the game but is entered when you create an account. You can skip the account creation if you want.
Once starting the game, I was prompted to update it. So there is an automatic update service for this game.
Once I entered the game, It already knew my nickname.....creepy. Not sure where it got that information from.

Spyder810
05-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Once I entered the game, It already knew my nickname.....creepy. Not sure where it got that information from.
[/LIST]

It grabs your windows username currently logged in.

brokenduck
05-25-2010, 06:12 PM
thx for the info dragon
1 more question
does it requires online authorization before playing lan?

viperfx
05-25-2010, 06:27 PM
thx for the info dragon
1 more question
does it requires online authorization before playing lan?

I want to know this too. Please test.

dragon875
05-25-2010, 06:43 PM
I can confirm that you do not need to log in to play over LAN. I was able to host a lobby when I skipped logging in. Not sure about getting in game yet as I have no one to play with over LAN. However, I am sure you can since it allows me to host the game.

In short, yes you can play LAN without online authentication.

I can also confirm that split screen works without any online authentication.

brokenduck
05-25-2010, 06:48 PM
thx dragon
that will be great
gonna get the game tomorrow after i finish my exam.

dragon875
05-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Good luck on your exams!

This game will not let me host an online game without signing in. However, it will let me host an online game. So I think the pretty much confirms that you do not need to have an account to play over LAN.

StingingVelvet
05-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Alright. I finally got my retail copy of the game. If anyone is still interested, this is what I found:

I can confirm that Blur requires the CD to be in the drive in order to play. (Unsure on which CD protection is in use)
In the game case, there is a cd key printed on the manual. This key is not needed for installation of the game but is entered when you create an account. You can skip the account creation if you want.
Once starting the game, I was prompted to update it. So there is an automatic update service for this game.

So DRM-free at retail, Steam DRM on Steam. This makes the retail version better for DRM purposes, for those that consider it when purchasing.

dragon875
05-26-2010, 07:32 AM
So DRM-free at retail, Steam DRM on Steam. This makes the retail version better for DRM purposes, for those that consider it when purchasing.

If you want to be completely offline, then retail is for you. I am not sure if steam will let you play this game in offline mode or not. Can someone confirm?

rdmx
05-26-2010, 08:01 AM
I have already tested Blur in offline mode, works fine :)

dragon875
05-26-2010, 08:21 AM
That is great! So I guess it does not matter if you get it through steam or retail. Either way, their is practically no DRM. Awesome!

carson_uk
05-26-2010, 08:31 AM
There is no DRM other than a key, you can install it on multiple machines no problems. Also no installation limits.

Fatimmortal
05-26-2010, 09:46 AM
The only thing I hate about this game is, I gotta have the damn DVD in my drive before the game would start.

Yeah, I couldn't wait for Steam to let me buy the game and went out to buy it myself.

carson_uk
05-26-2010, 09:49 AM
The only thing I hate about this game is, I gotta have the damn DVD in my drive before the game would start.

Yeah, I couldn't wait for Steam to let me buy the game and went out to buy it myself.

REALLY? I can't remember any game made in the last 10 years being like that haha. I'm really glad I got the steam version now lol

carson_uk
05-26-2010, 09:51 AM

It gets the nickname of your Windows Log In... I noticed this when I was playing on my 'Media Center' :p

dragon875
05-26-2010, 10:02 AM

It gets the nickname of your Windows Log In... I noticed this when I was playing on my 'Media Center' :p

:D I found that out too. That was just my initial reaction to that though. I really need to stop naming my user accounts close to what my nickname is.

Yes. It is very annoying that we have to have our DVD's in the drive to play this game.

StingingVelvet
05-27-2010, 06:53 AM
If you want to be completely offline, then retail is for you. I am not sure if steam will let you play this game in offline mode or not. Can someone confirm?

All Steam games are supposed to work in offline mode, though it is glitchy at times. I more meant the retail version is superior DRM-wise because it has no online activation and is not tied to an account, it is essentially DRM-free, while the Steam version uses Steam DRM.

StingingVelvet
05-27-2010, 06:54 AM
REALLY? I can't remember any game made in the last 10 years being like that haha. I'm really glad I got the steam version now lol

Pretty much every PC game without online activation DRM requires the disc be in the tray, so your comment doesn't make much sense.

The Steam version does not require a disc, no, but it does require online activation and singing in to the Steam client.

carson_uk
05-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Pretty much every PC game without online activation DRM requires the disc be in the tray, so your comment doesn't make much sense.

The Steam version does not require a disc, no, but it does require online activation and singing in to the Steam client.

Fair enough, maybe it's been awhile since I've brought a key without DRM or without being on Steam. My mistake.

Purple44
05-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Most the racing games I have gotten over the years do a CD\DVD check.

But must those games also have a noCD\DVD eve you can get your hands on with a Google search.

bb10
05-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Retail seems to have a SecuROM disc check:
Protection ....: SecuROM v7.41.0004

TruSkill
05-27-2010, 01:02 PM
The way I see it, if you don't have internet where you will play, buy the retail. If you do have internet, buy the steam version. Disc-in DRM for retail and Steam DRM for steam version, but the Steam version automatically updates.

gummitarzan
05-27-2010, 01:12 PM
nothing game has already been cracked. i am only buying this game for the online feature since i already have the singleplayer.

it better be worth it.

bb10
05-27-2010, 02:16 PM

Is that with the steam version too?

carson_uk
05-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Is that with the steam version too?

It seems the steam version just auto updates with Steam like other Steam games. But the auto check is in the game as well

PGHammer
05-27-2010, 03:19 PM

Your PC user account, maybe?

If your default user account is the same as your nickname, blame Windows, not Bizarre (my default Windows account is, since Vista, my first/last name, as is typical practice for OEM PCs, despite my actually *being* the OEM). A nice touch, and the first game I've ever installed that picked that up.

It's *not* any sort of *privacy violation* (so no screaming at Bizarre!) as the info goes no further than your eyeballs. (It actually comes in handy for multiple installations (and multiple users) since the game itself has no install restrictions (each user the game is installed for has a personalized/customized experience; the information has been available within Windows going back to *Windows 3.0*; however, historically, there are few games that have taken advantage of it anywhere other than Help/About).