PDA

View Full Version : (shared?) steam account

Mars18Team10
05-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Hi,
it is legal if I have account with all games originally bought and cd keys assigned to that steam account, but sometimes I play on it, and when I don't, my brother does, from different PC ?

JoeTheZombieKid
05-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Is it? Glad you know the rules of Steam. :)

UltimateTobi
05-25-2010, 12:47 PM
I think there's no problem with that, if your brother uses the Steam Account, is the PC near your location or even in the same house?

Mars18Team10
05-25-2010, 12:52 PM
I think there's no problem with that, if your brother uses the Steam Account, is the PC near your location or even in the same house?

Well that's what I'm talking about... I legally bought the game, it would be stupid to restrict me to playing only from one pc...

and second thing. I go to university and sometimes I am not home, so I play from different location (from my university apartment).

Can they disable my account for this ? Because that would be crazy...

fosti
05-25-2010, 12:57 PM
I use my steam account from two different locations for a while now. No problems yet.

CatzEyes93
05-25-2010, 12:58 PM
You speak of a grey area. Technically they could disable the account for sharing, however there have been plenty of instances here on the forums where it was made very plane that it was one account being used on several pc's within the same home... and yet the powers that be have not cared enough to dispute it on this level.

You are safe. ;)

Sierra Oscar
05-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Technically, according to the Steam Subscriber Agreement you are not allowed to share your Steam account with someone else and if you do your account could be potentially be disabled. In anycase, two people cannot be logged into the same account at once - however you can use Steam on any computer.

Steam Subscriber Agreement (http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/)

You may not reveal, share or otherwise allow others to use your password or Account.

UltimateTobi
Well that's what I'm talking about... I legally bought the game, it would be stupid to restrict me to playing only from one pc...

and second thing. I go to university and sometimes I am not home, so I play from different location (from my university apartment).

I don't think they would, otherwhise their holy Steam Cloud would be useless, it's extra for other PCs, when you're on a Laptop for example on holiday, or at a friend, or whereever. :p

Cabal17
It is against the Steam Subscriber Agreement for anyone other than yourself to use the account. You can use the account on any computers you want though, so no problem logging in while at the University.

nautsch
05-25-2010, 01:00 PM

No. This is actually a feature of Steam. To be able to play your games form wherever you want and from any PC you want. Your games are tied to your account, not your PC.

Sierra Oscar
05-25-2010, 01:02 PM

There is a difference between using your own account yourself on different PC's and letting other people use your account. Using your account yourself on various PC's is A-OK. However allowing other people use your account is prohibited under the SSA.