PDA

View Full Version : AMD Fusion

PrivateBurke
05-25-2010, 02:18 PM
AMD Fusion is a program released by AMD a few years ago. It's now on it's 2.0 life cycle and has made fast improvements over it's first days.

If you haven't heard of it heres a quick synopsis. Fusion works by disabling computer services and process that aren't needed to run programs and games. It also has an auto-overclock feature that will engage when either you start the Fusion program or you can set it to engage when a certain application is opened. I personally manually overclock so that settings was disabled for mine.

It must be noted that Fusion only works if you have an AMD Processor and an ATI video card. Intel and Nivida users may benefit from the lowered amount of resources being used, but it shines when it's used with AMD and ATI.

Here are two benchmarks I did to illustrate what Fusion can do.

Both run on ATI XFX 5770, 4GB 1600MHz, AMD Phenomn II 955BE on Windows 7 Ultimate

Not Running Fusion (1680x1050/ 4xAA/ 16xAF/ All Settings High/ No VSync/ NO HBAO. War Tapes)

FRAPS:
Frames: 6660 - Time: 120000ms - Avg: 55.500 - Min: 38 - Max: 92

Running Fusion "Gaming Profile" (1680x1050/ 4xAA/ 16xAF/ All Settings High/ No VSync/ NO HBAO. War Tapes)

Frames: 8118 - Time: 120000ms - Avg: 67.650 - Min: 51 - Max: 103

---

As you can see a nice increase in the Average. But the minimum is a very nice thing to see. Seems that Fusion allowed Battlefield to run more smoothly with less spikes of highs and lows.

Ec]-[oMaN
05-25-2010, 02:34 PM
So was your manual overclock applied when testing both scenarios?

PrivateBurke
05-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Yes in both tests.

BagNasty
05-25-2010, 02:40 PM
What programs specifically is disabled when this program runs? Does this disable windows functions or is it more 3rd party programs any intelligent user already understand to disable?

PrivateBurke
05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
It will shut down all the obvious programs that shouldn't be running like Email, Browsers, and all other user started apps.

But it excels because it disables windows functions that a user could disable themselves but is very time consuming. Things such as AERO, Defender, all those spiderwebs of services are disabled. They are then restarted when the program in ended.

GirlPower23
05-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Yea AMD Fusion is a pretty decent piece of software. <3 I haven't used it since I got my new PC but was awesome for my old one.

BagNasty
05-25-2010, 02:53 PM
vista/7 already disables and/or halts resources on stuff like that anyways if you're gaming. As for aero you can disable that yourself in the shortcut as default when you run a program.

As usually these types of programs don't actually bring a performance increase unless you just leave random program running for non apparent reason.

PrivateBurke
05-25-2010, 04:28 PM
vista/7 already disables and/or halts resources on stuff like that anyways if you're gaming. As for aero you can disable that yourself in the shortcut as default when you run a program.

As usually these types of programs don't actually bring a performance increase unless you just leave random program running for non apparent reason.

Not true whats so ever. What's your reasoning behind that statement?

BagNasty
05-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Reasoning?

resource allocation is a hallmark of vista/7. It's also why a lot of morons who happen to have access to message boards think random access memory being used is a bad thing instead of a good thing.

There are several of these programs that supposedly improve game performance by closing unneeded system functions. Point being they are all either worthless or utterly marginal when it comes to their results making their usage unnecessary. If really want an increase in performance you'll need better hardware period.

PrivateBurke
05-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Haha ok. I'm not going to follow you with this. 10 years as a system administrator allow me to win this one by default kid.

Before you insult random people on the internet know you stuff or you look foolish. I'll help you this one time.

While static on your desktop open up the tank manager. (Ctl_Alt_Delete)

Look at the running process and services. Write them down to be sure.

Now start any game. Nothing will change. It's as simple as that.

1337ified
05-25-2010, 06:04 PM
I will check out AMD fusion, thanks for the heads up OP

wazups 2x
05-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Aero is already automatically disabled when you run a game in fullscreen.

PrivateBurke
05-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Aero is already automatically disabled when you run a game in fullscreen.

Wow. I'm done with this thread. Just trying to get the word out but the internet needs to constantly argue with its self.

wazups 2x
05-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Wow. I'm done with this thread. Just trying to get the word out but the internet needs to constantly argue with its self.

What? I'm just pointing out that Aero is automatically disabled when you launch a game in fullscreen. I know this to be true because whenever I launch Quake Live in fullscreen I noticed that Aero is disabled until I completely exit.

I'm sure AMD Fusion is great, I was just letting you know.

GirlPower23
05-25-2010, 09:35 PM
What? I'm just pointing out that Aero is automatically disabled when you launch a game in fullscreen. I know this to be true because whenever I launch Quake Live in fullscreen I noticed that Aero is disabled until I completely exit.

I'm sure AMD Fusion is great, I was just letting you know.

Not all games or programs disable Aero when you got full screen, actually only a handful do that because they are incompatible with aero theme. BC2 for instance doesn't disable aero theme. Generally it is older games that disable aero.

StrikerZ
05-25-2010, 09:57 PM
So it is the same thing as gamebooster?

H E X E N
05-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Not all games or programs disable Aero when you got full screen, actually only a handful do that because they are incompatible with aero theme. BC2 for instance doesn't disable aero theme. Generally it is older games that disable aero.

^^ This.

As an example, FEAR disables Aero on my machine. BC2 does not. It depends on the game.

I haven't bothered with Fusion, but from what I've read it's a nice piece of software. Personally, I think they should start including it in their driver suites.

The_Silent1
05-25-2010, 11:16 PM
So it is the same thing as gamebooster?

Yes this is pretty much the same as gamebooster.

I would say gamebooster is better since you are restricted to only window's service's with fusion.

The profiles are nice but not worthy of a change since I can gamebooster just shut down certain apps in my system tray when I game.

Cypher024
05-26-2010, 12:06 AM
So can I run this using an Intel CPU and ATI video card? As in, I understand it's meant for AMD/ATI setups, but does that mean it won't work at all for Intel, or simply is not optimized for it?

ST34MM4CHIN3
05-26-2010, 12:52 AM
I use it since it came out. I always use it, even on my new HW.
+1 rep OP. Good to post it here, looks like not many of the peeps know it.

Darkle
05-26-2010, 05:22 AM

I appreciate the heads up regardless PrivateBurke, sorry that some people felt the need to target you when you were trying to help.

Just to clarify some things, I just tried to download it, it will only work if you have an AMD CPU. For anyone interested with an AMD CPU here's a link http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_fusion.aspx?p=1

Regardless of this I'm gonna have a look into Gamerboost (thanks StrikerZ and The_Silent1), as I like the sound of this and I'm using an Intel CPU.

Again PrivateBurke, your post did reach some people that appreciate it.

rakber
05-26-2010, 07:40 AM
Sorry if this has been answered but I have Intel-Ati should I try this Gamebooster thingy instead?

Highway Chile
05-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Will have a look at that program, thanks.

Reasoning?

resource allocation is a hallmark of vista/7. It's also why a lot of morons who happen to have access to message boards think random access memory being used is a bad thing instead of a good thing.

Why sometimes do games require as much as 1GB more RAM than XP does though ? :s

Cypher024
05-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Just a heads-up for those of you willing to try Gamebooster, I used to use it, and it prevented me from joining any servers. Not sure what it was closing that caused it, and it could have been something specific to me, but if I ever had Gamebooster running and tried to join a server, it wouldn't allow it.

PrivateBurke
05-26-2010, 08:34 AM
I appreciate the heads up regardless PrivateBurke, sorry that some people felt the need to target you when you were trying to help.

Just to clarify some things, I just tried to download it, it will only work if you have an AMD CPU. For anyone interested with an AMD CPU here's a link http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_fusion.aspx?p=1

Regardless of this I'm gonna have a look into Gamerboost (thanks StrikerZ and The_Silent1), as I like the sound of this and I'm using an Intel CPU.

Again PrivateBurke, your post did reach some people that appreciate it.

The Internet's frustrating to say the least some times.

I should have included this with my first statement. You have to hack the program a tiny bit.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-Fusion-Game-Utility-Intel,6883.html

The Package
05-26-2010, 10:16 AM
From my experience with windows 7 x64, programs like game booster and Fusion don't do anything. With Fusion on or off my Vantage scores were within 10 points of each other.