PDA

View Full Version : FEAR1: toggle ADS

liho1eye
05-29-2010, 08:07 PM
what an irritating feature... Made it to chapter 6 so far and every time manure hits the fan I end up toggling and untoggling ADS like 5 times before realizing it was on in the first place... which obviously throws all my aiming off. Or simply leaning around a corner... its a reflex carved on the back of my skull: lean + ADS at the same time. After so many hours skilling people online I can't unlearn it now...
Anyone have any idea how to make it not toggle, but rather regular ADS? Kinda like every other game.

MADDOGGE
05-29-2010, 08:08 PM
ADS??????????

The_Thing
05-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Care to tell us what that is?

liho1eye
05-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Aim Down the Sight? What games do you guys play?

Oni Gryphon
05-29-2010, 08:48 PM

Just don't press the select key all the time. Unless you'd rather bind it to another button, you just have to get used to it. Honestly, it is a little annoying, but it's not the end of the world.

The_Thing
05-29-2010, 08:52 PM
You can probably use Xpadder and assign a "hold-to-toggle" key for aiming down the sight.

liho1eye
05-29-2010, 08:57 PM
You can probably use Xpadder and assign a "hold-to-toggle" key for aiming down the sight.hmmm? I don't have game controller... How would I use Xpadder?
Besides what you suggesting is the opposite of what I want. I don't want another way to toggle ADS, I want it to be on only while I am holding down my button, and off when I let it go.
I was hoping for some kind of config binding trick, but I can't even find a config in FEAR, which is really kinda unusual.

Just don't press the select key all the time. Unless you'd rather bind it to another button, you just have to get used to it. Honestly, it is a little annoying, but it's not the end of the world.It kinda is, otherwise I wouldn't make this thread.

MADDOGGE
05-30-2010, 06:02 AM
LOL oh get real, it's not the end of the world. Taping shift is that much of a killer? Here I thought you had a real problem. Different games have different controls. You should know that by now. It's not like its hard to know if you are in ADS as you call it. His movements will be slower because he is walking with his gun in his face.

The_Thing
05-30-2010, 07:22 AM
If you have a middle mouse button, assign it to that.

liho1eye
05-30-2010, 08:09 AM
wow... thanks for more "you are stupid and doing this wrong", sorry I even brought this up....

MenaceInc
05-30-2010, 08:39 AM
It's fixed in the engine, to change it would require Monolith to make a patch.

MADDOGGE
05-30-2010, 12:45 PM
wow... thanks for more "you are stupid and doing this wrong", sorry I even brought this up....If you are that thin skinned the forums aren't the place for you. No one here has called you stupid but your assumption that all games have the same controls layout says you must not play many games whether PC or console. FEAR uses "F" for use, HL uses "E". Some games as you were trying to do will toggle iron sites so long as you hold it down, some won't and turn it off and on. Same with crouch, some you stay crouched others only so long as you hold the button down other you stay down until you hit the key again. As Menace said though it's hard coded and as I said it's not hard to know or check for that matter.

liho1eye
05-30-2010, 01:20 PM
If you are that thin skinned the forums aren't the place for you.I have somewhat different opinion. If you have nothing useful to say, then don't bother attacking my point. I want to set my controls the way I want them. And the way I want them is not unreasonable nor unusual, in fact it is pretty standard. Why do I wan't it - is really not important, nor any of your business.

No one here has called you stupid but your assumption that all games have the same controls layout says you must not play many games whether PC or console.there you did it again. You just openly berated my expertise on the subject just to support completely nonsensual point. If you can't communicate like an adult person, why open your mouth at all?

FEAR uses "F" for use, HL uses "E".Both are standard. F is for games with lean ability, and E for games without lean.

Some games as you were trying to do will toggle iron sites so long as you hold it down, some won't and turn it off and on. Same with crouch, some you stay crouched others only so long as you hold the button down other you stay down until you hit the key again.No... that is not standard. Just because you said it does not make it so. Most games have either non-toggle ADS or option to change it either way. FEAR1 is probably the only game released in this century that has it on toggle only.

As Menace said though it's hard coded and as I said it's not hard to know or check for that matter.And that would've the end of it if people like you weren't trying to sway the topic onto completely irrelevant crap.
In fact this a second time you doing this in my topic. Its like: ok, have you even bothered to read the OP? And if so - what do your post have ANYTHING to do with my question? Or is this some kind of obsession with posting simply for the sake of posting, just so the world knows that you have an opinion on something you discovered 5 seconds ago.

Really, really... I can't stress this enough: if you can't say anything useful, then just shut it. Thank you!

spyrochaete
05-30-2010, 05:57 PM
MADDOGGE your responses are pretty uncalled-for. You're being overly aggressive. liho1eye's request for hold-to-aim is a valid one.

Oni Gryphon
05-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Not to add more fuel to the fire, but OP, FEAR2 does the exact same thing. The aim down the sights is toggled only.

Perfectionist
05-31-2010, 02:37 AM
In Fear 2 game options toggle zoom is in there.

Oni Gryphon
05-31-2010, 07:24 AM
In Fear 2 game options toggle zoom is in there.

Really? Hmm, I stand corrected then.

arizonachris
05-31-2010, 08:52 AM
MADDOGGE your responses are pretty uncalled-for. You're being overly aggressive. liho1eye's request for hold-to-aim is a valid one.

Not sure how you can say that. Both the OP and Maddogge have valid points. But, since this is a user to user Forum, I doubt seriously that anyone from the Dev team is reading (or would do anything about these issues if they did read these comments)

There are countless shooters that you have to hold either RMB or another key to have iron sights. Why is that such a game breaker? This game is solid fun. Now, go play. ;)

liho1eye
05-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Not sure how you can say that. Both the OP and Maddogge have valid points. But, since this is a user to user Forum, I doubt seriously that anyone from the Dev team is reading (or would do anything about these issues if they did read these comments)

There are countless shooters that you have to hold either RMB or another key to have iron sights. Why is that such a game breaker? This game is solid fun. Now, go play. ;)I am not expecting for anyone to release a patch for this issue or anything like that. Just like I said: I was hoping there is a way to fix that by manually editing config (most FPS games have very extensive config options that are not directly accessible via GUI), but apparently that is not possible for FEAR.

MenaceInc
05-31-2010, 04:34 PM
I am not expecting for anyone to release a patch for this issue or anything like that. Just like I said: I was hoping there is a way to fix that by manually editing config (most FPS games have very extensive config options that are not directly accessible via GUI), but apparently that is not possible for FEAR.

It may be possible to do considering the games source code is included in the SDK. Very unlikely to become an official patch though.

Choster
06-01-2010, 12:34 AM

There are countless shooters that you have to hold either RMB or another key to have iron sights. Why is that such a game breaker? This game is solid fun. Now, go play. ;)

The PC community begged for proper mouse support in fear 2 from the time the demo was released. Monolith showed that the PC community was of no concern to them anymore. OP would be better off looking for a mod or something to get a toggle working.

LordGurciullo
06-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Seeing this post made me feel wonderful and warm and fuzzy on the inside.

Pc gaming is my life. And I am a pc gamer for controls - besides everything else we do that crushes those toys(consoles). I was so happy to see someone else actually bothered by this.

Use is not E nor is it F. It is - WHATEVER I WANT IT TO BE. Sometimes I use A. other times mouse4, other times w.
I can hit over 40 buttons on my keyboard (which costs more then a console) and I like to be able to bind any command the way I want. The best route is options and a Toggle aim On or off would have been nice or even better having 2 buttons assignable for still OTHERS who want to toggle it SOMETIMES.

It was really surprising for me to see that they did it that way cause other then that it was damn near perfect PC control. I also did the same thing you did - and in the end had to try to get used to it, but there's no question that it bothered me tremendously and took a point off my review.

Its great to see people caring about controls the same way I do - Unfortunately most people are to casual/slow and don't require absolute control ... for me its essential. Console controllers are wrecking proper pc control and the fact that controllers have somehow found there way to the pc is an abomination and a disgrace. In any event - the bottom line is

I'm right there with you!

TheOD
06-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Console controllers are wrecking proper pc control and the fact that controllers have somehow found there way to the pc is an abomination and a disgrace.
PC has had controllers since the 90s, that's nothing new and I don't see why it's an abomination and a disgrace. Why is it? Because most games release on PC these days are ports? That's a terrible reasoning for saying that.

Controllers aren't the reason most PC games released by big developers/publishers these days are ports, it's simply the industry that's changing, not to mention that the people at the head of those companies aren't gamers, they're businessmen seeking to make a profit, they don't see it the same way players do.

Washell
06-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Console controllers are wrecking proper pc control and the fact that controllers have somehow found there way to the pc is an abomination and a disgrace.

I enjoy, for example, the Prince of Persia series, the Tomb Raider series and Batman:AA a lot more with my controller than with mouse&keyboard.

And how can say that the strength of a PC is that you can configure the controls the way you want to while in the same post bashing the same versatility by calling a subset of those controls an abomination? The controllers aren't the problem. Lazy ports are.

arizonachris
06-04-2010, 01:15 PM

I don't get why you are so insulting to the folks that are trying to give you assistance? We are not employees of the ones that made this game, nor are we working for Steam. It is a user to user forum here.

Get a damn clue and be a little more polite and you might get somewhere. Otherwise, just throw your PC out the window and play games on you Blackberry.

Bro, come on. This is a good group. Stop dissing us.

Void(null)
06-04-2010, 01:21 PM
I don't get why you are so insulting to the folks that are trying to give you assistance? We are not employees of the ones that made this game, nor are we working for Steam. It is a user to user forum here.

Get a damn clue and be a little more polite and you might get somewhere. Otherwise, just throw your PC out the window and play games on you Blackberry.

Bro, come on. This is a good group. Stop dissing us.

Cool story, bro.

Foulplay
06-26-2010, 05:15 PM
I enjoy, for example, the Prince of Persia series, the Tomb Raider series and Batman:AA a lot more with my controller than with mouse&keyboard.

And how can say that the strength of a PC is that you can configure the controls the way you want to while in the same post bashing the same versatility by calling a subset of those controls an abomination? The controllers aren't the problem. Lazy ports are.

Amen to that! Add GTA 4 (at least for driving) Prototype and Dead Space to that list too. Theres no escaping that some games are more suited to a 360 controler than a kbd/mouse.

To LordGurciullo:

To say controlers on PC games are an abomination is a f@nboy sentiment and very narrow minded. You must have been asleep for 15 years and never seen the vast number of joysticks, pads, wheels, flightsticks etc that have been available to PC users! I would say the PC market has far more variation for controlers than consoles have ever had!

You should appreciate the fact the PC is capable of using controlers intended for other systems. Surely someone devoting their life to PC gaming can see the connection between the controler and game emulation which is really only achievable with something as versatile as a PC...

The 360 controler is actually very nice to use for some PC games for a variety of reasons, admitedly mostly due to console porting issues; try playing Ghost Busters without one and you will cry, but playing Prototype on a keyboard and mouse obviously isn't the way that game was designed to be played.

Open your mind and your horisons a bit and people will take you a bit more seriously.

Wiesshund
07-09-2010, 08:38 PM
fear doesnt/cant do aliases like quake HL UT etc can it?
if it can, you can probably make an alias.

If not see if your mouse driver will let you set your mouse button for that to be a hold to toggle.
I know my logtich mouse will let me do that.