PDA

View Full Version : Can you Save/Quit & Resume for One Free Bullet?

club
05-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Or does it have to be in one continuous play-through?

asahdeaf
05-30-2010, 12:03 AM
You mean save-states and such? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's fine. At least, I hope that's perfectly fine. I see no reason why the game wouldn't keep track of that if you decided to save and quit. I'm attempting the same thing now, and this hadn't even crossed my mind. When I did the Zombie Chopper achievement in HL2 (go through Ravenholm with only the gravity gun), I saved and quit a bunch of times without losing progress of the achievements. Not exactly the same thing, but a similar concept. I highly doubt you have anything to worry about if you save and quit.

RUSHBOY
05-30-2010, 05:19 AM
Yes, you Can you Save/Quit & Resume

Just got it,
Started a fresh game and played throught the last day at different time with lots of save/quit and reloads, also completed all achivements in one play through too. :)

Smertnik
05-30-2010, 05:21 AM
Yep, you can save just fine, I can confirm it.

club
05-30-2010, 10:20 AM
I was just working on this, made it about halfway through the game with no bullets. There was a supply crate on a shelf. I meant to pull it with the gravity gun and then launch it to smash. I was doing the mouse2, mouse 1 combo so routine and fast there was no stopping it. What I didnt realize was that my crosshairs were just a little askew from the box, actually on a rifle I didnt even see was on the shelf. All in less than a second I gravity pulled the rifle to myself, which made it auto-switch to that, and my mouse1 click which was supposed to launch the crate actually fired the rifle instead. FFFUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

shadowmancer471
05-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Ep1 is so much fun using only the GG. Got a real sense of achievement when the achievement pops up at the end

gorpie
05-30-2010, 01:52 PM
I was just working on this, made it about halfway through the game with no bullets. There was a supply crate on a shelf. I meant to pull it with the gravity gun and then launch it to smash. I was doing the mouse2, mouse 1 combo so routine and fast there was no stopping it. What I didnt realize was that my crosshairs were just a little askew from the box, actually on a rifle I didnt even see was on the shelf. All in less than a second I gravity pulled the rifle to myself, which made it auto-switch to that, and my mouse1 click which was supposed to launch the crate actually fired the rifle instead. FFFUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

LOL. I hate having the SMG in-hand, and accidentally pressing alt-fire... Thankfully I usually quicksave a lot...

Quietust
05-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Ep1 is so much fun using only the GG. Got a real sense of achievement when the achievement pops up at the end

...and a huge annoyance when the achievement doesn't pop up at the end. Just finished Episode 1 using only the crowbar, machinegun altfire (i.e. grenades), crossbow, hand grenades, rocket launcher, and various projectiles fired from the gravity gun. The only bullet I fired was to break open that one lock early on, yet it refused to give the achievement.

Guess I'll be playing through it again later...

gorpie
05-30-2010, 09:22 PM
...and a huge annoyance when the achievement doesn't pop up at the end. Just finished Episode 1 using only the crowbar, machinegun altfire (i.e. grenades), crossbow, hand grenades, rocket launcher, and various projectiles fired from the gravity gun. The only bullet I fired was to break open that one lock early on, yet it refused to give the achievement.

Guess I'll be playing through it again later...

Some people who have had trouble getting achievements since the update manage to finally get it after reloading a previous save, or exiting the game, or restarting Steam or rebooting and *then* reloading a previous save. (For you, this should be able to be near the end.)

You can wait for Valve to patch whatever the achievement problem is.

Otherwise, the fix for achievement glitches to is rename or delete the file Steam\SteamApps\yourname\half-life 2 episode one\episodic\gamestate.txt. Since I'm not sure at what point yours glitched, you might just want to delete it before you play again.

Note that this file is where temporary counts are saved for various achievements. If you delete the file, any progress you made will be lost (like for Lambda Locator in HL2).

lukeguy
05-31-2010, 02:34 AM
LOL. I hate having the SMG in-hand, and accidentally pressing alt-fire... Thankfully I usually quicksave a lot...
I get that a lot after playing L4D. :)

To clarify, you only can't shoot bullets/pellets for this achievement (i.e. pistol, revolver, SMG primary, shotgun). But everything else is OK (SMG secondary and all other weapons)?

Smertnik
05-31-2010, 03:32 AM
machinegun altfire (i.e. grenades)
I guess this is your problem. You have to use only the weapons listed in the achievement description - crowbar, gravgun, rl, grenades. Don't use any altfires and you should be fine.

Quietust
05-31-2010, 08:29 AM
Some people on other forums have also suggested that the crossbow isn't allowed, which makes absolutely no sense - it doesn't even fire bullets!

SirMcLoki
05-31-2010, 08:54 AM
Hey Guys...under the toppic of what weapons can and can't be used,
do you really have to fire that one bullet?

I thought it's possible to remove locks with the GG too...but I am
wondering if that messes up the achievement, anyone who knows this?

Apart from that, after playing through Ravenholm just using the GG,
I think this achievement isn't that big of a deal. There are so
much way's to kill your enemies...and with the über-version of it
the game is almost boring ;)

Ok...apart from the accidentally pikking up another weapon and
firing it...but what are saves for anyway if not to correct such
annoying mistakes ^^

asahdeaf
05-31-2010, 10:55 AM
I thought you could remove the lock with the gravity gun too back when I first tried to play Episode 1. I got stuck for some time because I SWEAR you could knock them off with the gravity gun in HL2. But no, you can't knock the lock off with the gravity gun, you have to use a gun.

SirMcLoki
05-31-2010, 11:51 AM
Yes it seems so, wasted some time there too today ^^

And I too, swear that there was at least 1 place in HL2 where I
did this...maybe it's because you are "behind" the fence...although
that would be weird as there are a lot of places where that is the
case and the GG was working there...

Well whatever...since one bullet is ok and one bullet on another
place seems kind of senseless let's just go with the flow ;)

asahdeaf
05-31-2010, 12:32 PM
I know that the entrance to Ravenholm has a lock that you knock off with the gravity gun. There might have been other places too, but since I just played through HL2 again, that part stands out the most in my mind.

SirMcLoki
05-31-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm just a bit further in HL2: E1 now, and there is the part where
you are in the cellars/garages/sewers and fight some ants and
zombines...there is a locked fence too, with the lock on your
side which can be blown of with the GG...

So either this is done to force you to use that one bullet, or
just to confuse you for the rest of the game in order to make it
"harder" to think about "how the hell am I supposed to get that
lock of" or maybe its just a sort of bug...because I really think
to recall using the GG to unplug some power cables to shut down
combine shields/doors through a closed window or something like
that...

club
05-31-2010, 09:44 PM
yeah, there is at least one other padlock in Ep1 that you can remove with the gravity gun (with either pull or push) but as someone said, if it's on the other side, you cant. It seems gunfire is the only way to remove this one padlock.

Before achievements were added to the game, Im sure this was the devs technique of ensuring that you found the guns in the room, as you cannot proceed until you have. I'm guessing what happened was, when it came time to think up the achievements, someone proposed a "no bullets fired" one. When they realized/remembered that there is this mandatory gunfire spot in the game, it became a "one bullet" achievement.

TeddySlayer
05-31-2010, 11:41 PM
SMG grenades and AR2 orbs are allowed, I got the achievement having used both.

lukeguy
06-01-2010, 03:16 AM
Before achievements were added to the game, Im sure this was the devs technique of ensuring that you found the guns in the room, as you cannot proceed until you have.
Yeah, it's mentioned in the commentary. It's a sort of a "gate", to make sure you at least have your pistol with you. And this is the only padlock with this behavior, all others are regular ones which can be broken with the gravity gun.