PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me how SP works with Ump? I'm discussing with a friend

DrFaceless
05-30-2010, 10:40 AM
He states that his silenced UMP (and UMP in general) works much better with SP.
Can someone tell me exactly what the difference is between
Silencer - no silencer
stopping power with normal - stopping power with silencer
stopping power - no stopping power
SP w/silencer - no SP w/silencer

If you take the time you'll be rewarded :D

Zukabazuka
05-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Stopping power gives more damage, Silencer make you not appear on the map when you shoot and it lower the damage of the weapon.

Identity Theft
05-30-2010, 10:42 AM
With stopping power its a 2 shot kill in range. The time it takes for the UMP to fire 3 shots is pretty poor and will often result in you getting killed in cqc situations.

At long range with stopping power, you can kill someone by shooting them twice in the head. Without it, it woudl take 3 shots to the head.

edit: and better penetration.

Mastershroom
05-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Silencer make you not appear on the map when you shoot and it lower the damage of the weapon.
Wrong, silencer does not decrease damage at all, it decreases the range at which damage dropoff occurs.

Some numbers for you, OP:

The UMP45 does 40-35 base damage. This means that at close range, it does 40 damage per shot (players have 100 health, or 30 in Hardcore modes), and at long range this drops off to 35 damage per shot. Adding a silencer does not affect base damage (it still does 40-35), but rather it cuts the distance at which this damage dropoff occurs.

The way the math works out, the UMP45 loses very little damage over range; only 5 points (most other SMG's and assault rifles have 40-30 or 30-20). This also means that the UMP45 will never take more than 3 shots to kill, if you're not shooting through cover or hitting someone with Painkiller. 3 shots will do the job at any range.

Stopping Power is not generally used with the UMP, because it doesn't benefit much. Stopping Power multiplies base damage by 1.4x. This means that with Stopping Power, it will take 2 shots at close range and 3 at long range, so the only thing you really gain is one less shot to kill at close range. For this reason, most UMP45 users will use Cold Blooded, and often with a silencer.

The silencer is also an excellent attachment for the UMP45 because the damage dropoff is not enough to affect how many shots it takes to kill; it will be 3 shots without Stopping Power regardless of distance.

Mumumannen
05-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Silencer on Assault and SMG make them invisble on the map and also reduce range but not DMG.
Silencer on Snipers and LMG reduce DMG not range.

KEN-TheChief
05-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Stopping power gives more damage, Silencer make you not appear on the map when you shoot and it lower the damage of the weapon.

Not exactly, each gun have a maximum and minimum damage. The distance the bullet travels decides where in the damage range it causes. Silencer decreases the distance the bullet has to travel before it drops to minimum damage. The one noted exception is the Light Machine Guns, which have no damage drop off over distance.

There is a very well done web page that has nice charts and everything. I will see if I can dig it up and link to it here. Keep an eye out for edits.

EDIT: LOL 2 other people explained it in the time it took me to post mine

Mastershroom
05-30-2010, 10:58 AM
The one noted exception is the Light Machine Guns, which have no damage drop off over distance.
Sniper rifles, too.
There is a very well done web page that has nice charts and everything. I will see if I can dig it up and link to it here. Keep an eye out for edits.
I got your back ;)

http://denkirson.xanga.com/715966769/modern-warfare-2/

matt2725
05-30-2010, 10:58 AM
I think most people accept the general consesus that Stopping power is highly unnecessary with the UMP45.

DrFaceless
05-30-2010, 11:03 AM
A long post confirming that SP doesn't help at long ranges, but in CQC
Thanks, this is what I needed. Enjoy the rep :D

KEN-TheChief
05-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Sniper rifles, too.

I got your back ;)

http://denkirson.xanga.com/715966769/modern-warfare-2/

Thanks, I had it book marked then ended up installing a new operating system and lost it. +rep

RangerXML
05-30-2010, 12:29 PM
There is a bug with the UMP where the damage drop off is already so low that it is negligible with a silencer, also silencer seems to decrease recoil. Don't bother with Stopping Power, the UMP is the equivalent to the MP5 in MW one, so one awesome mother of a gun. It also seems to get some kind of a buff from the holosight if no one noticed that.

Identity Theft
05-30-2010, 12:44 PM
1.There is a bug with the UMP where the damage drop off is already so low that it is negligible with a silencer, 2.also silencer seems to decrease recoil. Don't bother with Stopping Power, 3.the UMP is the equivalent to the MP5 in MW one, so one awesome mother of a gun. 4.It also seems to get some kind of a buff from the holosight if no one noticed that.

1. Guns having range and damage drop off is a bug? And you didn't even say what was negligible.
2. Totally wrong.
3. No it isn't, not even close
4. Totally wrong.

UMP: 630 rate of fire
CoD4 MP5: 800
HOW IS THAT EVEN CLOSE?
That is like saying the ACR and the F2000 have the same fire rate.

Mastershroom
05-30-2010, 12:49 PM
The silencer does not affect UMP45 recoil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwU1BQkZk68

Also, Identity's right, the UMP45 and MP5 are absolutely nothing alike. And it doesn't gain anything from having a holo sight.

matt2725
05-30-2010, 02:09 PM
1. Guns having range and damage drop off is a bug? And you didn't even say what was negligible.
2. Totally wrong.
3. No it isn't, not even close
4. Totally wrong.

UMP: 630 rate of fire
CoD4 MP5: 800
HOW IS THAT EVEN CLOSE?
That is like saying the ACR and the F2000 have the same fire rate.

I don't think he was necessarily talking in terms of fire rate. It's been a while since i've played COD4 (reformatted & lost disk cd) but the UMP to the best of my knowledge, takes down an enemy in the same amount of time as the MP5. At least in my experience anyhow.

Edit: Well I just decided to re-purchase COD4 so I guess i'll find out in due course :)