PDA

View Full Version : Paying for monthly fee...

Sgt Frag
06-01-2010, 10:19 AM
I saw Eve on Steam yesterday so I figured I'd try the 14 day trial.

I like it alright so far, not sure I want to buy it and pay a monthly fee though. (That's stopped me from playing other MMO's).

So the only reason I even tried the trail is that in the steam store it says
'Play for FREE' and goes on to say you can pay your monthly fee by using ISK (in game money). However I can't find ANY info on how much it requires.

I guess you have to pay the intial $20, play your 30 days then hit 'renew subscription' to find out?

What I want to know is the ISK price, and after a few weeks I'll know whether or not it is even possible to make enough ISK to buy stuff in game AND pay for the monthly fee.

If it seems doable I'd probably buy the game. Other wise it kindof seems like a money pit that I'm not interested in.

slayvus
06-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Its only possible to make enough ISK if you are old enough. It takes around 280-340 million ISK to get a 30-day in-game time card.

I could usually acquire the money in two to three weeks for two 30-day time cards with both of my characters.

Serene
06-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Yes, you do have to pay the initial 20$ to purchase an account. Which will add 30 days to your time and make you a subcriber.
About paying with ingame money. you will probably need about Three months of training, to be able to run lvl 4 missions efficianly in a battleship to make that amount of money in a month- Or do some trading / Mining.
which will take some time aswell.
and about how to pay- Search the market for an item called PLEX, . it costs around 280M Isk, and it adds 30 days to your time.

driv4r
06-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Sgt Frag, you don't have to pay $20 to subscribe, you could also just buy a game time card, which is cheaper option if you are not planning to subscribe for 6/12 months.

And to play free there are more options than PLEX (Pilot's Licence Extension), which is around 315M ISK +/- 10M at the moment (price has risen a lot in last couple of months). You can use buddy ivites, which give you 30 days each in case your buddy subscribes and you can send 3 per account every month :cool:

Sgt Frag
06-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the info.

Guess I'll play out my 14 days and see how I feel after that.

So hard to find a really good space game. Freelancer was pretty cool as far as fighting goes, and the fighting in this game tends to be pretty weak imo so far. Click a ship, sit and wait, I'd rather be flying it.

I keep searching too but it just doesn't seem like there's one out yet.

Sgt Frag
06-01-2010, 09:05 PM
This game lost me tonight, what a POS.

Sent to a location to do a job, firing on the turrets, frustrating as hell trying to pick a location out of the bottom of the right hand cue since the important things like turrewnts are under neath (and have to be scrolled down to) 25 astroids.
Lose my ship, go get my crappy ship, come come, loot my cargo hold under fire so I have guns and ammo, warp back to dock. Heal, come back and win.

Spend a bunch of time and money to build up a 'heavily armored frigate' for next mission (training still). Get blasted to ♥♥♥♥ by imperial ship before I can weed my way through the stupid list of astroids again.

Deffinately won't see any time or money from me, horrible interface IMO.

Sklex
06-02-2010, 01:53 AM
The interface is completely customizable. The overview can be modified to include or remove any options you like. Personally I have 3 different TABs.

Warp - Only includes gates and stations so I can get around quickly.

PvP - Only includes gates, stations and player threats, ie ships.

Mining - A whole ton of ore and asteroid belts including stations and containers.

This game is definitely for the light hearted or the stupid. Its a massive game with incredible depth.

For those with the brains and the patience however. . . its absolutely brilliant!

Leader Bee
06-02-2010, 05:29 AM
At the moment our corp is living in 2 wormholes, a class 2 & 3. We make almost 1 billion per week from the class 3, the class 2 has only been occupied for a short time but we're expecting around 600 million from it.

Get a group of players together and stick a PoS in a WH you'll soon be rolling in moolah.
(dont forget to let us know where it is so we can come blow it up in our tengus and command ships, hehehe)

Washell
06-02-2010, 05:46 AM
before I can weed my way through the stupid list of astroids again.

Right click asteroids in list (overview), click 'remove from overview', no more long list with asteroids in it.

Sgt Frag
06-02-2010, 07:58 PM
This game is definitely for the light hearted or the stupid. Its a massive game with incredible depth.

For those with the brains and the patience however. . . its absolutely brilliant!

LOL, I get the whole intellectual/patience aspect of it. In fact I was all prepped and ready to go for battle, I was even ready to scroll down through the asstroids list really fast.

But then the new list in the new spot had tons of description /info of the items in it, so the right-hand scroll bar wasn't there. (had to scroll that window right to find it).
So in a panic it was like WTF, where's the scroll bar, oh poop, there's one down here, scroll to right, scroll down, find the warp spot, DEAD.
And that was in the beginner tuts, like #5 or 6 of the military training.

The thing is the whole interface is difficult IMO and the game is very unforgiving when you reach that panic state of just trying to get the correct button pressed.

I had the same issue with Black&White 2. You are trying to close the gate, then you monster runs off (after you prepared him and told him to stay), then you're trying to right-click him as he runs but you gotta zoom out at the same time... By the time you get to him he's half dead and your city is destroyed.

I never really planned on spending tons of time on it anyway, and you deffinatley need time on this game just to learn the issues that you have to customize so there aren't issues.

LA Snow
06-02-2010, 08:50 PM
LOL, I get the whole intellectual/patience aspect of it. In fact I was all prepped and ready to go for battle, I was even ready to scroll down through the asstroids list really fast.

But then the new list in the new spot had tons of description /info of the items in it, so the right-hand scroll bar wasn't there. (had to scroll that window right to find it).
So in a panic it was like WTF, where's the scroll bar, oh poop, there's one down here, scroll to right, scroll down, find the warp spot, DEAD.
And that was in the beginner tuts, like #5 or 6 of the military training.

The thing is the whole interface is difficult IMO and the game is very unforgiving when you reach that panic state of just trying to get the correct button pressed.

I had the same issue with Black&White 2. You are trying to close the gate, then you monster runs off (after you prepared him and told him to stay), then you're trying to right-click him as he runs but you gotta zoom out at the same time... By the time you get to him he's half dead and your city is destroyed.

I never really planned on spending tons of time on it anyway, and you deffinatley need time on this game just to learn the issues that you have to customize so there aren't issues.

I think you're right. It does take some time to learn the game. In your case, I think the error was not with the game design, but it was with what was in between your keyboard and your chair.

EVE is the only MMO whose player base is constantly increasing. Even WOW has bottomed out because there's nowhere to go. I have buddies that have been playing EVE for 5 years and still have ambitions and goals. I've been playing since 2006 and I still love it. Not to mention free expansions that always add new content and then with Dust 514 integration, I'm excited.

The game is complex and deep. This has pros and cons. The cons are that you can't just sit down and make things happen and become rich. You have to experiment, make mistakes, sometimes lose some ships, and then learn, improve, then get better. The pro to this is that with a deep game, you get literally years of enjoyment out of it.

If you were having trouble with your overview or figuring out how to warp, it sounds like you skipped the introductory tutorials that teach you all the basics about how the overview works. I recommend doing those if you skipped them.

If EVE is not for you, then we can all understand that, and that's fine. But I just hope it's for the right reasons. If you don't like the theme, or the pacing, or the depth, then that's cool. But come on man, you can't bash the interface. Yeah, every UI could use some work, but the other 45,000 of us logged in at the same time on the same world don't have an issue.

Mouseraider
06-03-2010, 07:15 AM
This is quite interesting, I remember having these "oh bugger" moments, where I got cought off guard. The best advice I can give you is read guides and tweak your UI.

I agree that for a new player the UI offers a bit too much information, but if you stick with the game then you too will love it.
You should always have a plan (in most cases it should mostly be how to best escape when cought off guard) whenever you undock your ship, unless you enjoy gambling that is.

To me it sounds like you don't want to learn how to play the game, if that is true then I would recommend something that is more straight forward, like wow, war, aion or something along those lines.

spets-invidika
06-04-2010, 03:26 PM
If it's any consolation, you are completely correct -- even in PVE, a moment of panic usually means you lose your ship. :(

Here's something that may help -- insurance. On the station overview bar on the right when docked, one of the tabs is "Insurance", which does exactly what it sounds like -- you buy it and if your ship is destroyed, you get a payout. You might not get the full value of your ship back, but it'll probably be enough for you to buy some new stuff.

gobbybobby
06-04-2010, 03:34 PM
undocking, warping to belt, but while warping someone sends u link to 8 min long Funny video with Cats (funny cats) come back... Hulk destryord second time in a month... OK I can afford another BUT no I STOP PLAYING (for a bit) The game cost too much and I find going for a plex far too time consuming. I don't wanna play 15 hours a day. And u are pretty much working to pay for the game WTF with that! My in game freind has 3 alts Pays for them All, has 2B isk among them. WTF I can't afford 1.

Low sec is kinda fun. But I hate War decs. Especially when some other corp claim u stealing all the roids and hire some twats to dec u.

Crimsoneer
06-05-2010, 10:01 AM
You're playing by yourself - you won't find any satisfaction playing EVE that way. Find a corporation, and do something other than mission running.