PDA

View Full Version : Question about multi

Zekat
06-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Hello, so, I have a question about the multiplayers sega classics, like Golden axe or Altered Beast.
Is it a multiplayer on the same Pc, or is it multiplayer with internet?

Misanthroat
06-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Local only... no online.

-Misanthroat

Zekat
06-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks.
So, I won't buy it.

Fatdude
06-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Yeah dont buy any of the games.They are advertised as multiplayer which people would assume that it will be ONLINE but it isnt.

Antipunk217
06-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Any of the (advertised multiplayer) games would easily be worth 3 bucks if they did actually have online multiplayer... but this is a huge bummer. If I had already purchased any of the "multiplayer" games I would have demanded a refund

Alkpaz2
06-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Multiplayer is correct, although you miss understand the term of multiplayer in the age of the internet/modem based game. (The original Doom was only playable as multiplayer by either LAN or by "dialing" the other person's phone line.) And yet it is still considered "multi". These games are console (pre-net access [yes pre-Dreamcast]) So, therefore the multiplayer they are talking about is by having 2 players use joysticks/gamepads or sharing the keyboard. I don't think they were "misleading" in any way, but the understanding of "multiplayer" was not what "we" consider "multiplayer" by today's standards.

wingers17
06-01-2010, 05:16 PM
These Genesis games were never online multiplayer, so I wasn't expecting them to be now.

minerva79
06-01-2010, 05:31 PM
I'd only notice the Steam Sega Genesis emulator comes with only 2 players. Does this mean that they have no wish to port General Chaos over?

Misanthroat
06-01-2010, 05:47 PM
They would need EA's approval for Genral Chaos.

-Misanthroat

Fatdude
06-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Multiplayer is correct, although you miss understand the term of multiplayer in the age of the internet/modem based game. (The original Doom was only playable as multiplayer by either LAN or by "dialing" the other person's phone line.) And yet it is still considered "multi". These games are console (pre-net access [yes pre-Dreamcast]) So, therefore the multiplayer they are talking about is by having 2 players use joysticks/gamepads or sharing the keyboard. I don't think they were "misleading" in any way, but the understanding of "multiplayer" was not what "we" consider "multiplayer" by today's standards.

So what does coop means then?

It says both coop and multiplayer and i would assume that multiplayer means Online when it also writes coop.If it only wrote coop that would have been ok.Its false advertisement

ShadowOrigin
06-01-2010, 07:49 PM
So what does coop means then?

It says both coop and multiplayer and i would assume that multiplayer means Online when it also writes coop.If it only wrote coop that would have been ok.Its false advertisement

Multiplayer to mean you play with multiple people. Co-op to mean you play cooperatively with other people, not competitively.

I agree that they should have stated the obvious for people who read into these things, however.

TheChiaGods
06-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Yeah I figured that it was local multiplayer only. Didn't stop me from hoping that it was online though and checking here before purchasing. Would have been no contest that I would have gotten Golden Axe if it were online. But now I'm not going to.

Misanthroat
06-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Yeah, if they released a version of Arcade Golden Axe with 3 player online... I'd buy that for sure!

-Misanthroat

minerva79
06-01-2010, 09:09 PM
More interested in the arcade avengers with 4 players. :D

chronox12
06-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Yeah, if they released a version of Arcade Golden Axe with 3 player online... I'd buy that for sure!

-Misanthroat

Damn right!

Delicieuxz
06-02-2010, 02:06 AM
Don't know how somebody confuses Multiplayer, which means Multiple Players, with online playing. When you're playing Mario Kart on your wii, or Halo on your 360 at your house with friends on the couch next to you, that's called Multiplayer. Coop is only a type of Multplayer, just as Deathmatch is.

Alienkun
06-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Online Multiplayer would have been a TOTAL WIN :(

linksdeity
06-03-2010, 09:37 AM
That's too bad it isn't online.
I know that Gunstar Heroes on my PS3 has online co-op. It's a fantastic feature.

bstard
06-04-2010, 05:16 AM
If this was online I'd buy it for sure. Now it's not interesting.

ONeilcool
06-07-2010, 09:58 PM
How do you get the 2 player to work. I can't figure out how to get two people to play at the same time.

Alienkun
06-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Please look at XBOX Live, PSN or Wii Arcade.

How do you get the 2 player to work. I can't figure out how to get two people to play at the same time.

dunha40
06-09-2010, 05:08 PM
i bought thinking it was online..... now i saw the mistake i made

Bill Murray
09-28-2010, 06:04 PM
I just brought two copies of golden axe for me and my gf and realised that its not online Co-op but same system co-op. Steam didnt mention this fact and now ive forked out twice for a game that I wouldnt of brought once if it wasnt for the "co-op" function. I would like my money back. Does anyone know how i can go about this?

lordofterror
10-06-2010, 01:40 PM
woah i almost fell for the multiplayer trap grr they should mention it as multiplayer(local only)
btw they should sticky this lots of people may think they would buy the classic games to play online with others

MalthViking.
11-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Don't know how somebody confuses Multiplayer, which means Multiple Players, with online playing. When you're playing Mario Kart on your wii, or Halo on your 360 at your house with friends on the couch next to you, that's called Multiplayer. Coop is only a type of Multplayer, just as Deathmatch is.

Because it's on PC, being sold through Steam. Multiplayer in this context generally means online.

When you're playing Mario Kart on your wiim or Halo on your 360, and you're playing with friends online, that's called multiplayer.

I was considering buying, but if it's local MP and coop only then meh

Krios23
01-26-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm interested in Golden Axe and Streets of Mother F***ing Rage. If they had online multiplayer i'd buy them for damn sure. Also, these aren't really falsely advertised. Coop means Cooperative, meaning two players work together. Multiplayer simply means two or more people playing, not necessarily working together, which games like Golden Axe have if you look. Golden Axe has a campaign where two people play together, as well as another option to fight against each other. Therefor, not falsely advertised. I'm only assuming most of the other games are in this same situation.

StabbyStabStab
01-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Saying some games are multiplayer and co-op play just seems intentionally misleading to me in this day and age.

m4rine.cz
01-28-2011, 01:18 PM
When I was younger i was playing old games via "Kaillera client". But I remeber really bad latency and lots of lags but it was too rare for me (online co-op with others such as TMNT was awesome). I thing in novadays the client is dead.
If SEGA brings online MP I will buy lots of theese oldish games!

FuManBoobs
01-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Can anyone make these online multiplayer please?

They would sell boat loads if they did that.

I'm sure with some emulators they have options that let you connect to others to play ROMs online. But I'm too dumb to figure it out.

linksdeity
01-29-2011, 08:08 AM
It really can't be that hard, especially because it's on steam you can use your friends list instead of typing in individual IP's. It would be much more streamlined than other emulators, and even give it that "one up" on them you look for in a commercial program like this.

HAO
01-31-2011, 04:33 PM
give us online or no sale! I will buy 50 copies of toejam and earl if it had online coop

m4rine.cz
02-01-2011, 12:50 AM
give us online or no sale! I will buy 50 copies of toejam and earl if it had online coop

Yeah TJ&E is the most epic game :D If SEGA give us online playing IŽll buy mainly TMNT and TJ&E in Panic on Funkotron :)