PDA

View Full Version : Pre-load?

Rogersdead
06-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Will there be a pre-load before unlock or just an unlock and download?

The timer seems to be very slow ;)

bigred240588
06-01-2010, 03:48 PM
there most likely will NOT be a preload. steam really only does preloads for BIG events(mw2 free weekend) and releases(l4d2, bad company 2)
if you allow for preload, there is always a chance the game can be extracted and cracked in that time. this is a major worry of game developers who's game does not havea way of preventing illegal copies from being used.

NKC42
06-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I won't mind no preloads with this. It's not like it tens of gigs in size.

Pontos
06-01-2010, 08:33 PM
For what i could gather, the demo data is the same as full game data. You simply unlock the game when you buy it.
So in theory you already have the game ready to be unlocked if you bought it and didn't delete the demo.

Also @bigred240588, every pre-load game is encrypted on your hard-disk until the launch date, specifically to avoid people to get their hands on the actual thing prior to launch (Hence the relatively long decryption process the first time you run them)
Didn't you try to hear a few of the audio files from L4D2 only to find they were unreadable? Yeah, that was the reason :p

nutcrackr
06-02-2010, 02:48 AM
Yep I'm pretty sure the demo data 900mb is the full game.

MrDowst
06-02-2010, 05:52 PM
At least the demo data is a big portion of the full game (music, sounds, textures, videos...), if not all the game already. So the old trick might work: On release, let it load for a second, then pause, close steam, copy the content of the demo directory to the actual game directory, start steam, continue the download. It will verify the already "downloaded" data, and only download what is needed to complete it - if anything.

Rogersdead
06-03-2010, 01:39 AM
Well the demo doesn't have it's own folder and all is installed in the Alien Breed: Impact folder.

But there's noway 900mb is the full game, if you look in the AB folder the 'maps' folder only contains the trial maps.
Also worth noting that there is a file called DLCcomic. And another that seems to imply Ep2 and Ep3. Most of the files in this game are Ep1 as we know it's the first in a planned trilogy.

Well only 8 hrs till unlock then i guess we'll know how much we need to download :)

Creeping Death
06-03-2010, 09:04 AM
The full game is 1.5gb so even if the demo trick does work you are still left downloading half the game :P

MrDowst
06-03-2010, 10:48 AM
It's downloading the mission 700mb already :D