PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions

g859
06-02-2010, 04:40 PM
I was thinking about buying ARMA II for some awesome Co-op fun with my friends, but I had some questions about the co-op aspect.

I know that the campaign is co-op, but how many player slots are there? Also, I plan on using the mission editor to make some large-scale battles, but can you play user-created missions cooperatively?

Also, I have Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, so how would ARMA II compare? Would it be worth buying it?

1st IFF
06-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Yes, user created missions ARE playable cooperatively online! I've never played the main campaign on co-op,and I'm not really sure if you can. However for the user created missions I wouldn't use more than 8 slots if hosting it on your own computer, if you can afford a server you can have many more.

OFP2 in my opinion was a pretty big letdown. It's a good game in it's own right, but is much less of a milsim than ArmA2 in order to get more COD type players.

Dangerdog
06-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Dragon Rising is more a linear shooter, despite the large streaming island concept it's broken down into smaller missions. ArmA II has much more content, and is open to modding.

The main thing to get used to with ArmA would be the user interface and the lower quality audio - mostly in the form of voice over work. The voice over work in Dragon Rising is better than what's in ArmA, you can watch some videos on youtube to get an idea of what it'll sound like.

You may want to hold out on your purchase though as there will be a version coming out soon which will include the new stand alone expansion "Operation Arrowhead" and "ArmA II".

Expect it to be on Steam but you can see it here for right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Arma-2-Combined-Operations-Pc/dp/B003JZNDN4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1275533447&sr=8-4

slikbaz
06-03-2010, 06:17 AM
ARMA2 is much, much better than OFP in pretty much every way. Codemasters claimed it was going to be a realistic shooter, but it's no more realistic than BF2, and less fun.

You can play the campaign online, but it only has 4 slots. One for each of the four characters. However, trust me when I say the user created missions you can find here:

www.armaholic.com
www.armedassault.info

can be much better than the campaign and have up to 32 slots. You can also easily create your own missions, although it may take some time to get used to the more advanced features (cam scripting etc.), placing down your own group and some enemies is something you can pick up in the first 5 minutes.

But like the person above me said, Operation Arrowhead is coming out on June 29th, so you may want to wait to buy the arrowhead/arma2 pack (although arrowhead is standalone, adding it on to arma 2 gives you more units/missions/maps etc.).

gossamer
06-03-2010, 08:37 AM
32 slots,

You can actually host as many as the server can handle in ARmA 2

I've played on a 100 slot AAS server, good times.

slikbaz
06-03-2010, 11:56 PM
32 slots,

You can actually host as many as the server can handle in ARmA 2

I've played on a 100 slot AAS server, good times.

Yeah but generally what is available is 32 slots, from what I've seen on any company's website that is renting servers out.

Fozzy the bear
06-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah but generally what is available is 32 slots, from what I've seen on any company's website that is renting servers out.

That's because GSPs are primarily shared servers. If you want one to run more slots, that's where you rent a dedicated server.

Bungle
06-05-2010, 03:02 AM
I was thinking about buying ARMA II for some awesome Co-op fun with my friends, but I had some questions about the co-op aspect.

I know that the campaign is co-op, but how many player slots are there? Also, I plan on using the mission editor to make some large-scale battles, but can you play user-created missions cooperatively?

Also, I have Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, so how would ARMA II compare? Would it be worth buying it?

The controls in ArmaII are as bad as anything I've ever seen. I know I'll get flamed by people that love it, but DAMN. Sloppy, sloppy controls. Bad input lag even at 60 fps. I don't care how good the rest of the software is - just sitting at the keyboard while ArmaII runs is frustrating to me.

Visually, you have a choice between Slideshow or Blurry Vision Mode. Input lag will be an issue either way. I have an overclocked quad core and a Radeon 5870, btw.

What do I think about the rest of it? I have no idea, as I'm not going to waste my time. If I can't even move fluidly through the environment, nothing I can do in the world is going to be fun or pleasurable for me in any way.

(People that play simulators like to talk about how much smarter they are than everyone else. I will probably be called dumb and invited to "go play MW2" by Arma fans. I'm okay with it, as I'm not dumb and don't own MW2. I'm just sharing my opinion of it.)

b00tsy
06-05-2010, 03:47 AM
(People that play simulators like to talk about how much smarter they are than everyone else. I will probably be called dumb and invited to "go play MW2" by Arma fans. I'm okay with it, as I'm not dumb and don't own MW2. I'm just sharing my opinion of it.)

No not dumb, I call it being honest. I can find myself in your opinion. It is that I love ArmA 2, any other game that would run like you said as a "slideshow" I would not have bothered playing. But I can't help it, ArmA is frickin cool... so I keep playing it.

slikbaz
06-05-2010, 05:23 AM
I suppose it's personal opinion..I myself find the controls to be immediately responsive.. and certainly not a "slideshow"..

gossamer
06-05-2010, 10:20 AM
I suppose it's personal opinion..I myself find the controls to be immediately responsive.. and certainly not a "slideshow"..

agreed, I think the other guy is just not ready for ARmA 2

Fozzy the bear
06-05-2010, 10:41 AM
agreed, I think the other guy is just not ready for ARmA 2

Wow, your logic has left me speechless.

I for one love Arma2 as much as I love WWIIONLINE: for the concept. But it feels like they were both horribly executed.

I wish Arma2 could be more simplistic like RO. I don't want to have to memorize a crap load of keys. I just want to jump on and be immersed by the mod I'm playing or team I'm playing with. That's all.

slikbaz
06-05-2010, 12:00 PM
I wish Arma2 could be more simplistic like RO. I don't want to have to memorize a crap load of keys. I just want to jump on and be immersed by the mod I'm playing or team I'm playing with. That's all.

Honestly, that's like asking for a flight simulator with nothing but aileron/elevator/throttle controls :P

All the options/controls/possibilities are what make it as great as it is.

Dangerdog
06-05-2010, 12:03 PM
I wonder how many people who complain about input lag aren't configuring their settings properly.

First on the list is turn off "free aim" so that your weapon tracks your movements like other FPS games.

Turn off all post processing effects to get rid of "Blurry Vision Mode".

Just because you're sporting a high end video card and quad core system don't think that you can turn all the options to high and have full screen anti-aliasing too at 1900x1200. This game is even more demanding than Crysis, the new expansion should lower the requirements some as it isn't a lush forest you're playing in.

The controls are different but the complexity scales to what you're trying to accomplish, if you just want to foot soldier then it's WASD for movement + Shift to sprint Q&E for lean, ZXC for stance and F to cycle through your weapon fire modes. Of course there's a few other keys, N for night vision, M for map.

There's no jumping in the game and when you come up to a small fence or wall you have to press the V key to vault over it, you wouldn't want the game to auto-vault if you intended to use that small wall for cover do you?

If you come at the game expecting CoD or Battlefield experience with realistic damage then you'll need to take a step back and realize it's a combat simulation.

Dwarden
06-05-2010, 12:38 PM
all these who claim there is input lag somehow missed the ability disable mouse smoothing (and acceleration) and there render frame ahead options in 1.05 onward
so input lag is then only and only problem of your hardware ...

anyway these who follow beta builds are aware of upcoming additional multicore tweaks ...

Fozzy the bear
06-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Honestly, that's like asking for a flight simulator with nothing but aileron/elevator/throttle controls :P

I'm not talking about a flight sim or the flight sim elements that flight simmers wish this game had; I'm talking about strictly playing as a grunt.

For the life of me, I don't ever remember OFP requiring the user to know all the billions of keys. If it did, I wouldn't have played it forever and become such a die hard fan.

All the options/controls/possibilities are what make it as great as it is.

Correction. If the game was great, as you say it is, then it would have the fanatical cult following it once had back in the OFP days and give the other FPS shooters a run for their money.

The biggest thing I have noticed when trying to get people to play/buy Arma2 that used to play OFP - a lot - or new players that played the demo or heard from word-of-mouth, is that the game requires more time learning things you don't really want to be wasting your time learning. This doesn't mean they are run-in-gun/CS:S kids either. In away, I have gotten to the point, from playing a lot of RO/DH, is that I just want to pick up the game and start playing it. Because of this view that I now have and other have also, I believe its why Arma2 is a game people are impressed by but don't really get a hardon for.

b00tsy
06-06-2010, 04:15 AM
I did not found the key config that hard actually. Most of the keys functions I figured out in an hour or so. Especially the movement, crouch, lean, etc were exectly where I expected them to be, only the troop commands took a little amount of time to memorize.

I mostly notice a high learning curve with the editor, wished that was made a bit easyer without having to know all the script commands etc.

And the fact that the game runs like a slideshow for me (much less with 1.05 btw) is a hardware problem, but I still see it as a game problem. As other games that have a large complex dynamic environment do not cause the dramatic fps issues so much on my PC.

Anything better then the COD pre-scripted nonsense and linear gameplay, so I am still a happy camper.... and can't wait for arrowhead :)

slikbaz
06-06-2010, 06:19 AM
I'm not talking about a flight sim or the flight sim elements that flight simmers wish this game had; I'm talking about strictly playing as a grunt.

You missed the point.. I meant that it's a simulator, so obviously you can expect it to have slightly more complex controls than your average shooter.

The biggest thing I have noticed when trying to get people to play/buy Arma2 that used to play OFP - a lot - or new players that played the demo or heard from word-of-mouth, is that the game requires more time learning things you don't really want to be wasting your time learning. This doesn't mean they are run-in-gun/CS:S kids either. In away, I have gotten to the point, from playing a lot of RO/DH, is that I just want to pick up the game and start playing it. Because of this view that I now have and other have also, I believe its why Arma2 is a game people are impressed by but don't really get a hardon for.

Do you easily forget things? Because the controls aren't even half as hard as you are making them out to be lol. Which controls in particular can't you remember? :P

The standard WASD or M for map? Maybe it's the fact that stances have been switched to ZXC rather than holding down CTRL? :P

Fozzy the bear
06-06-2010, 09:20 AM
I mostly notice a high learning curve with the editor, wished that was made a bit easyer without having to know all the script commands etc.

And that has to be another flaw with the game. I think BIS spent more time coding and implementing animals into the game than actually taking the time to fix issues through simple play testing. And it doesn't matter what system you have, because everyone has experienced problems from the eMachine/Pent. 4 users to the i7 users.

I know there is the crowd that will say wait for BIS to patch the game up. But why should anyone have to buy a game and wait for it be patched in order to enjoy it? Don't forget the $50.00 price tag that goes along with it, which can give the most thick skinned person a bad case of buyer's remorse.

After some time, months and months, the game finally has patches out that fixes a lot of the game breaking bugs, but it's a freaking nightmare to search down these patches and then download them. The whole reason many of us use Steam is because it did a lot of the dirty work for you. But BIS seems to think that their business model of having the consumer hunt down and read on how to install patches will generate more sales for them.

Example: some patches require you have to update 1 through 4, which takes even more time. While I'm quite capable of doing this, I don't think I or anyone else should have to waste valuable time doing this. I can on imagine what a nightmare it is for the non-tech savvy crowd.

slikbaz
06-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Example: some patches require you have to update 1 through 4, which takes even more time. While I'm quite capable of doing this, I don't think I or anyone else should have to waste valuable time doing this. I can on imagine what a nightmare it is for the non-tech savvy crowd.

I don't know what game you have been patching lol.. There is one 1.05 patch, that is linked everywhere, and can be applied on any version including the steam version..

And the game's performance is fine too. You can't turn everything up to the highest, but as long as your hardware isn't outdated (and by that I mean dual core ~3 Ghz, 8800GT or higher) you can make the game look good as well as perform well. Granted, it could be further optimized, but for a game that doesn't have all the AIs paths pre-programmed into the system along with accurate ballistics and a huge map, it performs quite well.

Fozzy the bear
06-06-2010, 09:31 AM
I don't know what game you have been patching lol.. There is one 1.05 patch, that is linked everywhere, and can be applied on any version including the steam version..

I haven't had the pleasure of installing yet another patch to see if this is true. I stopped patching during the nightmare beta patches, which only people that visited the BIS or Steam forums would know that there is X patch to download that fixed x,y and z. But for the vast majority of people that bought the game and don't stay up-to-date through the forums when it comes to patches, I can only posit this is the reason the multiplayer numbers are quit low.

Maybe I'm digressing a little on this, but what the hell. Ever since Codies split with BIS, the game just has never been the same. As much as I can't stand Codemasters, maybe they had a team in place that told BIS wait a minute, don't do this and add that if you want to generate sales. Maybe they acted more like a quality assurance that led to the greatness of OFP? If they did, maybe it's time that Codies and BIS sit down with a marriage counselor and talk about their problems so they can reunite?

slikbaz
06-06-2010, 09:49 AM
I haven't had the pleasure of installing yet another patch to see if this is true. I stopped patching during the nightmare beta patches, which only people that visited the BIS or Steam forums would know that there is X patch to download that fixed x,y and z. But for the vast majority of people that bought the game and don't stay up-to-date through the forums when it comes to patches, I can only posit this is the reason the multiplayer numbers are quit low.

You are forgetting that you install BETA patches only because you want to. BIS is doing it out of their niceness. Most developers would just tell you to sit and wait till they released the next proper patch (in this case 1.06), but BIS is offering us the chance to get all the fixes as soon as possible.

Nobody asked you to install the BETA patches, they are just for your benefit. The way I understand it, if you are patched to 1.05 and don't have a BETA patch, you can still play online with someone who does have a BETA patch. Maybe someone can confirm this (although I'm almost completely sure).

Maybe I'm digressing a little on this, but what the hell. Ever since Codies split with BIS, the game just has never been the same. As much as I can't stand Codemasters, maybe they had a team in place that told BIS wait a minute, don't do this and add that if you want to generate sales. Maybe they acted more like a quality assurance that led to the greatness of OFP? If they did, maybe it's time that Codies and BIS sit down with a marriage counselor and talk about their problems so they can reunite?

Possibly, but they were only the publishers. AFAIK they had no hand in the making of the actual game.

Fozzy the bear
06-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Possibly, but they were only the publishers. AFAIK they had no hand in the making of the actual game.

Neither you or I know the relationship they had, so please don't talk as if you were in the boardroom meetings during the days of OFP.

slikbaz
06-07-2010, 06:34 AM
Neither you or I know the relationship they had, so please don't talk as if you were in the boardroom meetings during the days of OFP.

Ahm it is a fact that the game itself was developed by BIS and published by Codemasters.. the same as 505 Games publishes arma 2 now. I never said anywhere that I knew anything about the BIS-CM relationship...

Fozzy the bear
06-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Ahm it is a fact that the game itself was developed by BIS and published by Codemasters.. the same as 505 Games publishes arma 2 now. I never said anywhere that I knew anything about the BIS-CM relationship...

I think everyone that played OFP knows about Codemasters and BIS. So I'm not really sure what your point is other than telling me something we all know on this forum about who published and who designed OFP : CWC.

RED
"AFAIK they had no hand in the making of the actual game."

That statements sounds pretty much like you think you are in the know or were sitting in the boardroom.

slikbaz
06-08-2010, 08:23 AM
telling me something we all know on this forum about who published and who designed OFP : CWC.

RED
"AFAIK they had no hand in the making of the actual game."

That statements sounds pretty much like you think you are in the know or were sitting in the boardroom.

First of all, there are a lot of people here who are new to arma, let alone OFP, so I hardly think everyone knows who published/designed it :P

second, in that case it just seems that you interpreted the sentence incorrectly..