PDA

View Full Version : Ranks Suggestion

BeefThief
06-05-2010, 08:12 PM
There really isn't much to this suggestion. What are currently known as levels, I will be calling ranks for the sake of this suggestion. Every rank would have a medal associated with it and perhaps a title as well. The medal could be shown next to a player's name when in-game.

It would also be nice to have Metal Drift keep track of your experience real-time when in-game and not just during the post-game match. That way you could rank up in the middle of a game and you wouldn't have to wait until the next game started to play with any new weapons or upgrades. I'd also like to see "ranking up" work like in Altitude. When you gain enough experience to advance a rank, it blatantly tells you by "slamming" the medal along with the rank's title onto the screen the next time you respawn. Every time I rank up in Altitude, it always makes go "Booyah!" just because of the way it tells you that you ranked up.

Yea/Nay?

Wiweeyum
06-05-2010, 10:16 PM
I like it. I like how Devil May Cry had really flashy ways to tell you when you were playing well up in the top right corner. It perpetuated the play style. Or how Burnout told you that you'd slammed someone off the road. Watch what I mean for Devil May Cry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFSW4_H-WJ8) and Burnout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dSxKVdwCy4). A cool way to level up in MD would be beast!

--------------

Slightly off-topic, but still related, you know what's funny about the leveling up? The benefits of leveling up your weapon really don't make you play better. The levels are almost a marker of the amount of time in game you've spent actually playing well... so when you hit level 20, you're no longer a total n00b, and from there on you start noticing how people develop their own play style and tactics.

My point is that in most games with a level up system, you're focused on the massive hit points they'll deal, or the bigger weapons they may have. In Metal Drift, that's not the case. You see the 40 before their name as you're driving around, and you just know to watch out... they know their stuff. It's something I appreciate.

LittleBoyBlue
06-06-2010, 05:24 AM
Yea from me. A nice idea.

BTW Beef, do you want to revamp the micro-upgrade discussion we had with Slamscape awhile back that was so immensely beastly (I think it was on phpBB). TEASER: So you think you have combination options and customization now? Pfff, not compared to this idea.

BeefThief
06-06-2010, 05:58 AM
Yea from me. A nice idea.

BTW Beef, do you want to revamp the micro-upgrade discussion we had with Slamscape awhile back that was so immensely beastly (I think it was on phpBB). TEASER: So you think you have combination options and customization now? Pfff, not compared to this idea.
Yes! I'll have to dig up that thread so I remember exactly what we had suggested.

LittleBoyBlue
06-06-2010, 11:00 AM
I found it. I'll be posting it in its own thread in a bit. Also, we need to talk to Twitch about locking the entire phpBB forum so things are only readable, not postable. I'm sick of cleaning.

Electronaut
06-06-2010, 03:35 PM
We actually have rank names for each level. We even have a recorded voice greeting for when you load the game for each of the ranks. We just never got around to implementing that.

We've just brought on a programming intern, so if he works out, maybe you'll hear a rank specific greeting when you enter the game.

BeefThief
06-06-2010, 04:01 PM
We actually have rank names for each level. We even have a recorded voice greeting for when you load the game for each of the ranks. We just never got around to implementing that.

We've just brought on a programming intern, so if he works out, maybe you'll hear a rank specific greeting when you enter the game.
Is it in the announcer's voice?

Also, invite him/her to play some pickups with us and join us on Teamspeak :)

Electronaut
06-06-2010, 05:22 PM
I'll extend the invitation.

The voice is in the female computer's voice.

Drakon_MD
06-07-2010, 12:09 AM
I'll extend the invitation.

The voice is in the female computer's voice.

Wow sweet, I just went through the voices and that would be pretty nifty =D

How much do I have to pay to get a custom one =P

Tigerhawk71
06-07-2010, 01:27 AM
All i can think of now is when you start up a mech in Mechwarrior. Something like that for the tanks would be cool (maybe not as... lengthy). Maybe on respawn?

But one thing the game could use more than anything else (for the sake of atmosphere) is music. Maybe give it the same effect the announcer has, so it sounds like the music is actually playing IN the arena. I know you can just crank winamp/etc in the background but hey, it'd be neat. Indie games almost always have awesome music too.

Wiweeyum
06-07-2010, 05:18 PM
How much do I have to pay to get a custom one =P

You could always just record it in your voice. :P Booth babe style...

But one thing the game could use more than anything else (for the sake of atmosphere) is music. Maybe give it the same effect the announcer has, so it sounds like the music is actually playing IN the arena. I know you can just crank winamp/etc in the background but hey, it'd be neat. Indie games almost always have awesome music too.

You ever been to a professional sports game? Like, they play the beginning of "We will rock you" and clips of music and stuff to pump up the audience. That'd be cool.

Tigerhawk71
06-07-2010, 09:00 PM
You could always just record it in your voice. :P Booth babe style...

Oh god. How much do i have to pay to make this happen? :D

Electronaut
06-08-2010, 02:18 AM
We do have music at the beginning of the matches now. Licencing a song that everyone knows would be quite a ways out of our price range.