PDA

View Full Version : Can you people play DiRT 2 decently using a wheel?

vittau
06-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Hi everyone, :)

Just wanted to know what do you guys think about playing DiRT 2 using a wheel. I have no problems playing GRID, I can manage Savage pretty decently using my good old MS Precision Wheel.

But when it comes to DiRT 2, Jesus... it never feels like I'm in control of my car, I keep spinning all the time. I'm veeery cautious with the throttle during the turns, and very gentle on the wheel, but still I keep spinning. Perhaps this game is meant for the analog control crowd? :confused:

I'm level 15 right now on DiRT 2, and it doesn't look like I'll improve much more...

EDIT: Just to clarify, I CAN win races, in fact when I make no mistakes I can usually win with a good margin (e.g.: more than 5s in Rally on Serious, I did 10s once), but the problem is that it takes several tries until I finally make a run where I don't spin. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing something terribly wrong, and it bugs the hell out of me. :(

EDIT 2: I've set the saturation to 75% and Linearity to -3 and it seemed to help a bit. Not nearly as frustrating now (lvl. 22), even though I usually still have to retry most races at least 3 times until I win (a lot more times for Land Rush and Raid, I suck really hard at these). Playing on Serious for the most part, Savage for Rally or Trailblazer.

Mister.Brain
06-07-2010, 06:42 PM
I have the Driving Force GT, and first day with DiRT2 (yesterday) i had the exact same experience. I've barely moved the wheel and immediately spun out. Only with extreme caution and a whole lot of restarts i could manage a win on serious. The game was more work than fun.

THEN i figured out a couple of things what were wrong. First the acceleration saturation was at 25% on default... the change to 100% made for a big improvement, i finally can accelerate at the pace i want instead of unintentionally going full speed ahead with the slightest touch of the throttle.

Then, i wondered why the button-settings from the Logitech profiler software weren't working, and when i figured out that i have to set a static profile instead of a dynamic one to make THEM work, i realized that now the steering is much easier too. So i figure not only the button-assignments had no effect, but also all the sensitivity settings from the profiler software probably didn't work until now either.

vittau
06-07-2010, 07:02 PM
I have the Driving Force GT, and first day with DiRT2 (yesterday) i had the exact same experience. I've barely moved the wheel and immediately spun out. Only with extreme caution and a whole lot of restarts i could manage a win on serious. The game was more work than fun.

THEN i figured out a couple of things what were wrong. First the acceleration saturation was at 25% on default... the change to 100% made for a big improvement, i finally can accelerate at the pace i want instead of unintentionally going full speed ahead with the slightest touch of the throttle.

Then, i wondered why the button-settings from the Logitech profiler software weren't working, and when i figured out that i have to set a static profile instead of a dynamic one to make THEM work, i realized that now the steering is much easier too. So i figure not only the button-assignments had no effect, but also all the sensitivity settings from the profiler software probably didn't work until now either.Thanks for the input, I'll double check my throttle configuration as well, next time I play the game. ;)

I have no problems related to wheel configuration software though, I'm just plugging it in and letting Windows do it's thing. I didn't install any drivers (besides, I don't think there are drivers for Windows 7 anyway. It's an old model).

Zone_Dymo
06-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Logitech Formula Force GT and for me the controle is great, wont go back to a gamepad anytime soon :)

vtechpower
06-14-2010, 01:04 AM
i have the g25, can't play it any other way. I could use a controller but that would be no fun with I can use the H clutch shifter and be precise on what gear am on. Great for cornering!

invest into a g25 or g27

vittau
06-15-2010, 10:34 AM
invest into a g25 or g27If you knew how much these cost here in Brazil you would think twice before saying this. :p

vtechpower
06-21-2010, 02:01 AM
thats why I said invest.... not insta buy =p lawlz

Product
06-22-2010, 10:54 AM
My house mate bought a G25 about a week ago and I bought Dirt2 for him (it was on clearance for $18aud so why not!).

Anyway; we pretty much had the same experience as you (op); but I might tell him to give the above settings a go.

Funnily enough; NFS: Shift works beautifully.

herbusmc
07-05-2010, 04:06 PM
I had this problem and I fixed it by lowering my video/graphics settings to get my frame rate up. 15FPS just wont work!!!!!

marvin676
09-11-2010, 10:52 PM
I just hooked up my old Driving Force Pro from my PS2. It works awesome on my Windows 7 machine. It seems to only use the 200 degree rotation but feedback and control seem quite good. Throttle response is very nice compared to using the keyboard. It is gonna take some getting used to the new control method but it is already way better.

ATI 5870
i7 930
6gb Ram
Windows 7 64Bit

thinsoldier
10-23-2010, 01:26 AM
If you knew how much these cost here in Brazil you would think twice before saying this. :p

got mine on e-bay dirt cheap

LATTEH
10-24-2010, 02:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAlVKgl_zCQ

thinsoldier
10-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Could someone give me some tips on the force feedback? I can't decide if I want to play with it on or off.

would anyone be willing to post their various setting and say why they like it that way?

Also, may be of use to someone else: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1385345

UWReason3D
10-25-2010, 05:45 PM
i suggest the OP goes and gets software that might be able to manage his wheel. default configurations vary so you generally have to set up your wheel. i have 300 degrees of rotation through logitech profiler, so it turns only as smooth orsharp as i want it to. that's the key for me.

Force Feedback is great because you can imagine which way the wheels are facing during turns, if you're getting traction or not, but it's not exact, not completely real. it just lets you guess better.

EazzyC
11-21-2010, 08:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbqiwGhu8EU[/URL]

da_foles
11-29-2010, 06:17 PM

Then, i wondered why the button-settings from the Logitech profiler software weren't working, and when i figured out that i have to set a static profile instead of a dynamic one to make THEM work, i realized that now the steering is much easier too. So i figure not only the button-assignments had no effect, but also all the sensitivity settings from the profiler software probably didn't work until now either.

What do you mean by static profile and dynamic? where do I change this. I have a driving force GT. The only way I can get it to work is to physically set each thing for it in the controls within dirt 2. I just over wrote the keyboard preset. I would like to know how to get my wheel working from the profiler? So I can just launch the game from logitech profiler and all the steering/accelerator and brakes and buttons work on the steering wheel for menu systems

Thanks