PDA

View Full Version : Can't wait? Learn how to play! (game preview)

lLokhart
06-07-2010, 03:19 AM
Just found this (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/NewtoMagic.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/newtomagic/learntoplay) page. On it you'll find a download link for an interactive demo using the DotP engine (no video/ect... options) along with a series of videos that help to explain how Magic: The Gathering is played.

I downloaded (1.5 Mb) and played the interactive demo simply to curb my craving to play this incredible game and discovered something some of you may be interested to know. Any time I played a spell I was prompted to select the Lands I wished to tap. This is in regards to other threads based on concern for the auto-tapping mechanic found in the XBox version. This leads me to believe that it's been fixed for PC. Even cards of a single color prompted me to select the lands I wished to tap! Auto-tapping was never a factor throughout the entire demo. Very exciting!

Anyway. Check it out if you like. It was a nice little preview and somewhat satisfied my craving.

lawsie69
06-07-2010, 03:48 AM
heh nice find, i had my xbox pad plugged in and it vibrated off the table. Thought i was haunted for a second or two.

Snowstone
06-07-2010, 05:42 AM
The demo doesn't work on my laptop. The colors are too bright I can see anything... :(

xFadedx
06-07-2010, 06:12 AM
Will this game support widescreen? The demo didn't so everything looked a bit stretched. Thanks for the link though graphics look nice and seems fun. Will you be able to click on your opponents cards to see what extra abilities they may have?

lLokhart
06-07-2010, 06:32 AM
Yes, it will have widescreen support just like on XB360. Also, even in the demo you can right click on an enemy card to take a closer look at it.

chobochobo
06-07-2010, 06:54 AM
I would be extremely happy if they are actually making an effort to de-consolize the pc version.

xFadedx
06-07-2010, 07:01 AM
Thanks, I was able to click on the opponents creatures. Wish the demo let you play a round on your own. :)

Burchamj
06-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Yay - It lets you tap land yourself!!!
-assuming its the same..

kyiori
06-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Nice if it makes it to the PC version, and hopefully a 360 update. Now the only thing I would be clamoring for is the ability to adjust the initial deck with its extra cards, rather than only being able to add/remove the extra cards.

Restricted
06-07-2010, 08:25 AM
Demo crashes right after it loads up, it flashes the game and then straight to desktop, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come :/

lLokhart
06-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 MHz
2GB Ram
GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB
Windows 7

Works just fine for me.

Be sure you've updated DirectX and your video drivers.

spyre
06-07-2010, 09:37 AM
If you want to play the demo on ATI cards you will need the 10.4 OpenGL driver as the 10.5 one doesn't work.

Fatdude
06-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Cool thanks im gonna check it out.Have some rep and cookies

ellh
06-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the link - I can't wait!

tarneth
06-07-2010, 01:35 PM
yes, hopefully it lets you tap your land in the pc version of DotP like it does in this demo. this *is* however intended to teach people how to play the paper game, so we can only really be hopeful.

sicbud
06-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Or you could just play the free trial from Magic: Online. That should satisfy your craving until the game is released. At least it's working for me.

It gives you like 8 decks to chose from and is pretty much an unlimited trial.

tarneth
06-07-2010, 03:37 PM
if you can tolerate the 1990's graphics and sound.

sicbud
06-07-2010, 03:40 PM
It's a card game, they're quite easy to tolerate. You'd only have to deal with them for a short period of time until this game is released anyways.

SlamDancinMoogl
06-07-2010, 03:46 PM
if you can tolerate the 1990's graphics and sound.

Can't be as bad as the Microprose app, and that's the one a lot of us are biding our time with :P

Ilsyde
06-07-2010, 04:15 PM
I'd recommend MtG:Online as well until DotP gets released. The decks are quite similar, you can play against other people and it's enforcing the current rules, unlike Microprose's game.

Metiphis
06-07-2010, 04:24 PM
I noticed some different creature cards in the green deck that aren't in the Xbox version. I hope this is true in the full game. It'd be nice if it was different to minimize the tedious unlock grind which I already fully did before.

lawsie69
06-07-2010, 05:27 PM
different named cards maye, but same cards stat and usage wise :p

AusSkiller
06-07-2010, 10:57 PM
different named cards maye, but same cards stat and usage wise :p

Let me guess, Runeclaw Bears instead of Grizzly Bears? Wizards actually had a big article about that around the time of the M10 release, basically they wanted more fantasy flavor and no IRL stuff, it was a good move IMO :).

Fatdude
06-08-2010, 02:07 AM
I wish demo let us play with AI over and over again without tutorial things.But it doesnt :(

MoleUK
06-08-2010, 03:16 AM
I very much doubt it has any relation to the steam version. You will have to wait and see if you can tap land I think.

Riddley
06-08-2010, 06:13 AM
Let me guess, Runeclaw Bears instead of Grizzly Bears? Wizards actually had a big article about that around the time of the M10 release, basically they wanted more fantasy flavor and no IRL stuff, it was a good move IMO :).

Yep they've been changing card art for a long time. I remember back in the day when 'unholy strength' had caused a big stir because it depicted a pentagram in the background. WoTC discontinued it and released a version with it removed.

I still have a bunch of the old ones with the flaming pentagram...ah the good old days :)

As far as the art change, the runeclaw bear artwork is far better than the grizzy bears anyway.

http://magicgameplan.com/blog/runeclaw-bear-vs-grizzly-bears/

Riddley
06-08-2010, 06:16 AM
I'd recommend MtG:Online as well until DotP gets released. The decks are quite similar, you can play against other people and it's enforcing the current rules, unlike Microprose's game.

Very true, but it's also quite fun casting cards that have long since been banned (multiple black lotus cards) in the same turn. The old Microprose game is certainly outdated, but you could definitely craft some ridiculous decks with those old school magic cards.