PDA

View Full Version : MP5 low ROF

Valo
06-07-2010, 09:04 AM
I just started replaying HL1 on my... well sorta new PC, after all those years, and I noticed the MP5 rate of fire seems pretty low to me, is this perhaps because of some FPS cap? I have vsync and triple buffering on = steady 60 fps. I've seen some HL:S videos and as far as I remember in the orignal, the ROF was always pretty high.

green_meklar
06-07-2010, 10:29 AM
If you're getting a constant 60 FPS and no more, probably it's hitting the cap specified in the configuration files. You can go into those files and increase that cap if you want to squeeze the most out of your computer, although it's unlikely you'll notice it get any smoother (60 is already around twice the refresh rate of the human eye).

To judge the actual rate of fire, I guess the best way would be to see how long it takes to empty a full clip of 50. I'm going to go test this right now.

*goes and tests it*

On my computer, the machine gun clip empties in just about exactly 6 seconds (according to my watch). This is with the Goldsource version which I'm guessing is what you have. As far as I know Half-Life has no game speed setting, so if yours takes significantly longer than that, you might have a problem. You could also test the damage rate by setting up a func_breakable in the editor, should be 100 damage per second. If you have experience with a real MP5 and are comparing the machine gun in the game to it, the one in the game fires at around two thirds the speed of the real one (depending on the variant).

Valo
06-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Oh well, it's about 6 secs here too so I guess I just forgot how it used to be. ;) Thx for the info tho, and have some rep.

Vonje
06-08-2010, 02:26 AM
Last time I looked at the code, it had a rate of one shot every 0.1 of a second.

Xstioph
06-08-2010, 08:30 AM
I remember making the Glock 17 fully automatic, carrying a 100 bullet clip that could be fired within a couple of seconds. :] The bullet holes would cover like 128x128 of a wall xD

Kibblesman
06-23-2010, 09:42 AM
You'll notice a slightly higher rate of fire with higher FPS. try fps_max 100, I'm quite sure your new PC would reach 100 easily on this game. Remember though, you'll want to disable Vsync before you try this.