PDA

View Full Version : Killing Floor Gamepad Support

sterlingdax
06-07-2010, 03:02 PM
I can't seem to find any definitive answers, if I buy a gamepad for the Mac, will it work with this game? I see it has joystick support, at least there is an option for it, I'd love to know if it will work, or do I just need to keep practicing with mouse/kb? I've played consoles so long, it's foreign to me! Thanks for any help.

Yoshiro
06-07-2010, 03:14 PM
There is no specific support for the 360 gamepad. Just general joystick support which you can configure yourself. I know some users have used third party programs to get the 360 controller to just "work" with killing floor.

sterlingdax
06-07-2010, 03:19 PM
So if I get any basic Mac pad, I should be good using the drivers it comes with, that's good enough for me, thanks!

Janichsan
06-08-2010, 12:44 AM
While you might get your controller to work with Killing Floor, I strongly recommend you to get used to playing with keyboard and mouse, otherwise you won't stand a chance.

The only reason why first person shooters are playable on consoles with gamepads is an extensive use of crutches like auto-aiming. PC and Mac games often don't have these. With a gamepad, you'll be cannon fodder in the PC world.

Kogitsune
06-08-2010, 05:13 AM
The only reason why first person shooters are playable on consoles with gamepad is an extensive use of crutches like auto-aiming. PC and Mac often don't have these. With a gamepad, you'll be cannon fodder in the PC world.

This is relatively true in foot combat heavy games. However, any game where you are in a vehicle can benefit greatly from using a controller.

Example: GTA: San Andreas. I couldn't fly the planes or helicopters to save my life with the mouse and keyboard. Hooked up my gamepad, and away I went with being able to fly.

GTA 4 helicopters are far easier to fly using the keyboard entirely instead of the mouse and keyboard combo, so I imagine that using a gamepad would also have made it a lot easier.

Driving games, flying games - all of those tend to consistently play better with a controller than the mouse and keyboard combo in my opinion.

Zetsumei
06-08-2010, 02:31 PM
this guide might help with setting up a gamepad:
http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/documents/webfaqs/wmgamehelp/Game_Specific_Issues/Unreal_Tournament_2004.htm

Gamepads work but it can be a bit tricky

sterlingdax
06-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the help, yeah, I've read a lot of folks say that KB/M is better, I just need my own little crutch to help me along. I think a new desk setup would help me a lot too, as I have to rest my left hand on my knee, which is propped up on my UPS! :)

sterlingdax
06-11-2010, 06:35 PM
K, I got a Macally controller, and it works, but not for both look and movement on their respective thumb-controllers. I am able to get it working with the left thumbstick only for either look or move, but no action out of the right thumbstick at all, even though it works as per the Macally driver.

I suspect this is because it's listed as 'Joystick' support, which would only have one movement stick, as opposed to dual sticks? Either way, it also works in the only other game I tried it on (Madballs) very nicely, my son is extremely happy with that :)

Going to look into the XBox controller software now, see if those, or something similar, will allow me to use both sticks.

I'm still working on the mouse/kb thing, it's tough to swap from something I'm so familiar with!

Madd the Sane
06-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Just a reminder: the Mac OS X does not have builtin support for Xbox or 360 controllers. You will have to find third party drivers which are available.

sterlingdax
06-11-2010, 09:18 PM
I've been researching this, and it seems that OS X has built-in support of PS3 controllers, I have a PS3 too, so score! There is also an app called ControllerMate that someone has mentioned, and even posted a control scheme of, on the forums, so I might try that.

Honestly, I'm not much for workarounds, they're too much trouble generally, so I will probably end up learning the M/KB better, and by the time Valve adds gamepad support, I'll either be better with M/KB, or so fed up I'll welcome the change :)

Janichsan
06-14-2010, 01:15 AM
Here's (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29122) that Xbox 360 controller driver. It's a bit rough around the edged (note the low version number), but it works pretty well (tried with Colin McRae Mac, Tomb Raider Anniversary and a couple of emulators).

Gahzoo
12-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Thats a bit of a myth actually, quite a few games have no auto aim at all, and I'm proof that you dont need a keyboard and mouse (though I do use it if I'm playing a game where I'll be sniping)