PDA

View Full Version : Roundabout map

provitiligo
06-10-2010, 11:17 AM
So, uhm... any ideas about Roundabout map? I'm pretty confused with it.

obisean
06-10-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm noticing with these maps that the tower power trumps the maze length. I favor the gun turrets atm, and of course air, temporal, and command where necessary. The length matters, but you don't want it to be too long. Make it too long with these maps and they get to the cores cause the lvl 1 towers don't seem to cut it anymore. Once they make it to your cores, the cores never seem to make it back because something is always in the maze. I'm nowhere near perfect at this game, this is just the strategy I've been using on these new maps. And it's working out well from my perspective. You can't go wrong with this strategy for now. I mean, you need to beat it before you can perfect it :)

Innervision180
06-10-2010, 03:29 PM
After trying since yesterday, I finally got gold on this map. Here's my strategy: I guess a bit of a SPOILER warning to anyone that wants to figure it out on their own.

Like the previous poster said, length is key. Don't build too intricate a path with tons of guns, but keep them from reaching the core too quickly as well. I found that routing the enemy from the first platform to the large platform above it, and making them work their way all around the edge, into the middle of this platform, and back down to the bottom, right-facing bridge on that square works best. Then, make them walk up their current skinny platform and back onto the large square platform's top right corner (across the square's second, upper right bridge).

Upgrade everything to red as early as possible early on. Instead of making tons of green turrets and forming a path, slowly upgrade what you have first, and then build forward one by one. Make a path slowly. I mostly used turrets, with a few cannons and missiles blocking routes I didn't want them taking.

I mostly built on the first platform they step onto, the large one above it, the bottom right connected to the spiral, and the one with the cores. Make it so their only access to the core platform is through the spiral in the bottom right. Doing this, they only reached the cores during the first few waves (which 1 yellow or red turret right by the cores was perfect against), and the last 1 or 2 waves, and I only had to use the orbital laser for one of the fast bosses in the last wave. When one of the slow red bosses was left, I started selling back guns that were not near him until he died, selling off the rest after that.

Hope that helps, and that it isn't too confusing. This one really is one of the most challenging maps yet.

Babun42
06-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Funny, I find it quite easy, I beat it on normal and challenge on first try. The only problem here are flying aliens. My main firepower comes from cannons and infernos, I also have one missile, temporal and command. I'll try to make a screenshot tomorrow, now I'm off to bed :)

I guess this map is a proof of this game's greatness, it can be devilish or easy as pie, depends on your approach.

edit: I didn't feel like sleeping so here's my "draft": http://www.shrani.si/f/3/PV/1vFK2oXO/round.jpg

yellow is main firepower
red are temporal and command
green are guns to make their walk longer (if you plan carefully you won't need to build anything down there)
just put one missile at the entrance and you'll be fine, I got around 74k with technique

Vangkao
06-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Awesome screenshot man, how did you do it? Any chance of getting a blank one from you so I can plan my own strategy?

Mobious918
06-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Awesome screenshot man, how did you do it? Any chance of getting a blank one from you so I can plan my own strategy?
http://defensegrid.hiddenpath.com/image/view/1009/_original

Can get all of em from the Hidden Path main page:
http://defensegrid.hiddenpath.com/view/content/image?page=3

theescapeclause
06-11-2010, 07:07 AM
I was a little disappointed after gold meddling the first 3 maps on the first try, but I have to say, I'm pulling my hair out on this one! I've tried almost everything I can think of, and it all goes great until the last wave, then the 3 Rumblers ALWAYS make it through! I looked at the above screen shot for some ideas, and nothing worked for me.

Destructo-Bot
06-11-2010, 10:50 AM
My tip is to block off the entrance to your main route and have the last wave make the longest path around to the cores possible (you may need to sell one of your upgraded towers to open a path). Space green temps out around the long path to keep them out there are long as possible and to break up their formation and let your main guns finish up the previous wave.

Once the rumblers nearly reach your starting area, rebuild the tower you sold and send them BACK the way they came after you let the first 1 or 2 in for your kill zone to clean up. By the time they get back around your primary setup should have taken care of the second to last wave and the first couple rumblers and can concentrate on the rest of the rumbler wave.

Bounce them back and forth in your kill zone if your guns can't clean them up in one pass (unlikely unless you are way overbuilt.)

Vangkao
06-11-2010, 10:58 AM
http://defensegrid.hiddenpath.com/image/view/1009/_original

Can get all of em from the Hidden Path main page:
http://defensegrid.hiddenpath.com/view/content/image?page=3

Thanks man, never thought to check the HP website. :)

minerva79
06-11-2010, 08:02 PM
I was a little disappointed after gold meddling the first 3 maps on the first try, but I have to say, I'm pulling my hair out on this one! I've tried almost everything I can think of, and it all goes great until the last wave, then the 3 Rumblers ALWAYS make it through! I looked at the above screen shot for some ideas, and nothing worked for me.

I share you pain dude. I share your pain.

The jugglenauts attracted all the attention on this one, but the stealth Rumblers at the end always killed me. I'm an obsessive gun tower builder, so I really had to resort to unfamiliar strategy for this map. Kudos to Hidden Path for one of the best maps yet.

Oh! Beware of the flyers guys. :D

provitiligo
06-14-2010, 09:55 AM
I did it at last! Found a bit unexpected solution for the last wave: gotta have a couple command towers to reveal hidden dudes. This way they die pretty easy. Got around 82K points at the end, however, I wasn't able to get higher than 71K without command towers.

Mondak
06-14-2010, 10:11 AM
I did it at last! Found a bit unexpected solution for the last wave: gotta have a couple command towers to reveal hidden dudes. This way they die pretty easy. Got around 82K points at the end, however, I wasn't able to get higher than 71K without command towers.

And herein lies the problem. I think I put up my command tower in the second round already. They are a great way to boost income early which makes a big difference.

I even let aliens through to touch the cores (not escape) so I can upgrade my Command towers. Interest isn't as much of a factor in the early 5 or so rounds. But boosted income will be boss later.

provitiligo
06-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Well, on this particular map command towers also help you pour all the fire on rumblers.

Mondak
06-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Well, on this particular map command towers also help you pour all the fire on rumblers.

Oh yeah - forgot to mention that. Noticed it in the 20k challenge when they kept getting through.

ratmanscoop
06-15-2010, 08:00 AM
The usual tactic of spamming gun towers and temporals didn't seem to work too well for this one. I actually ended up using more cannon towers than normal and kept the maze relatively short, and came out far better off.

Scroogey
06-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Strange how different our experiences are. I normally never use gun towers but focus on cannons instead. This didnt work at all on this map, so I tried using a lot of guns instead and that went pretty well (I still lost 6 or so cores, but at least I beat the level).

Destructo-Bot
06-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Strange how different our experiences are. I normally never use gun towers but focus on cannons instead. This didnt work at all on this map, so I tried using a lot of guns instead and that went pretty well (I still lost 6 or so cores, but at least I beat the level).

For various definitions of "pretty well" :D

Mondak
06-15-2010, 03:12 PM

The words by themselves I understand. When you put them together they have no meaning to me! :)

ratmanscoop
06-16-2010, 01:05 AM
I started out using primarily cannons and found almost every level beyond focal point a challenge. After switching to primarily gun towers, everything became a lot easier! :D