PDA

View Full Version : TF2Mac UNPLAYABLE!

remover
06-11-2010, 01:35 AM
-Audio cuts out randomly
-Buggy/glitchy interface/weird graphics and windows showing up randomly when joining servers, load screen graphics loading real tiny in one corner of the screen while showing old UI elements on the rest of the screen
-Textures look terrible regardless of settings
-Menu screens, server connection, settings changes all take 19 years to get through
-TOO DAMN SLOW TO PLAY: I swear i'm getting 2 FPS. (I forget how to view your actual FPS though, if someone wants to point it out).

I'm happy that TF2 is coming to mac, but if it wasn't ready, you should have kept us waiting.

Please fix!

I've turned all the settings up/down/on/off, tried as many combination as possible. No performance increases no matter what I do.

Sys info:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.30f1

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Kernel Version: Darwin 9.8.0

Shifty Gray
06-11-2010, 02:00 AM
Way to make a duplicate thread bro.

SeventhSandwich
06-11-2010, 02:06 AM
I figure the more threads there are the more attention this will attract.

SERIOUSLY, we need this freaking audio problem fixed. I literally cannot play without hearing nothing or choppy, horrible, ear ♥♥♥♥♥♥, audio.

derpburp
06-11-2010, 02:14 AM
Could be sound drivers. Try it with Windows and if you get the issue its your hardware. You may need a new sound card. I also remember EP1 having a sound studder issue which was a GPU issue, might need a new GPU.

Genexi2
06-11-2010, 03:09 AM
I could live with the choppy audio, but what I can't live with are half of the custom map downloads I've had so far result in TF2 complaining it can't do a CRC check on them, when I've played said maps (on same server) fine in Windows.

kampia
06-11-2010, 03:17 AM
let it run somedays all games have bugs at the start!

remover
06-11-2010, 04:06 AM
Could be sound drivers. Try it with Windows and if you get the issue its your hardware. You may need a new sound card. I also remember EP1 having a sound studder issue which was a GPU issue, might need a new GPU.

Sound card is fine. I have used USB headset that acts as it's own device, the built-in soundcard, and a $1000 firewire studio audio card.

Works in Winblows. TF2 does flawlessly, sound and all. (same machine)

remover
06-19-2010, 08:30 PM
My video card melted or something while trying to run TF2 and tweak it's settings. Something is obviously wrong ;)

Apple is replacing it and the machine, we'll see how the new one works out.

playn
06-19-2010, 08:43 PM
My video card melted or something while trying to run TF2 and tweak it's settings. Something is obviously wrong ;)

Apple is replacing it and the machine, we'll see how the new one works out.

woah that would suck
i guess you played it for too long lol. you should try using a program to increase the speed of your fans a little bit. itll help keeping your mac cool

bobthedeadly
06-19-2010, 09:16 PM
This is total BULL♥♥♥♥. TF2 was running PERFECTLY FINE until the MOTHER♥♥♥♥ING 10.6.4 UPDATE. Now, I get horrible framerates, jumpy gameplay, the names are ♥♥♥♥ed up (Instead of "You almost beat your record for kills as Demoman" it says "You almost beat your record for kills as %,." and since the latest Steam update I get booted from games because I can't connect to the VAC server. I payed for a service, and it is not being provided. I have been patient, I know things don't go as planned, but this is getting beyond ridiculous. I know that Apple has played a large hand in this too, with the stupid ♥♥♥♥ing 10.6.4 update, and I have complained to them as well. This needs to be FIXED!!!!

playn
06-19-2010, 09:39 PM
This is total BULL♥♥♥♥. TF2 was running PERFECTLY FINE until the MOTHER♥♥♥♥ING 10.6.4 UPDATE. Now, I get horrible framerates, jumpy gameplay, the names are ♥♥♥♥ed up (Instead of "You almost beat your record for kills as Demoman" it says "You almost beat your record for kills as %,." and since the latest Steam update I get booted from games because I can't connect to the VAC server. I payed for a service, and it is not being provided. I have been patient, I know things don't go as planned, but this is getting beyond ridiculous. I know that Apple has played a large hand in this too, with the stupid ♥♥♥♥ing 10.6.4 update, and I have complained to them as well. This needs to be FIXED!!!!

try downloading the combo update and reinstall 10.6.4 using that. apparently it fixes the problems but i haven't tried it

smoke.tetsu
06-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Haven't had any problems here in fact TF2 only got better. There's still room for improvement but it wasn't playable before... now it is.

bobthedeadly
06-19-2010, 11:01 PM
try downloading the combo update and reinstall 10.6.4 using that. apparently it fixes the problems but i haven't tried it

I will do that. I managed to get TF2 playable using these three things: First, I restarted my computer in Safe Mode, then back into normal mode, then enabled Vsync (which seems to have mostly ficed the jumpy game problem), and finally followed the instructions in this (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1315523) thread.

I don't get booted from servers anymore, the game isn't as jumpy, and I get a semi-decent framerate (15-25 FPS). I am still very displeased with what has happened with this latest OS update, but at least I can play some games. Still, I was getting 30-45 FPS before the update, and I want at least that back. In the long term, I want performance comparable to Windows, but for now I just want my game to work the way it did before...

I'll try installing the Combo Update. Maybe that'll fix something...