PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 3 GOTY... best experience for a new player?

Regurgitated
06-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Hello everyone. Oh don't worry this isn't a technical question about getting the GOTY content to work in Fallout 3 :D

I'm loving this game so far but I'm wondering whats the best way to experience Fallout 3 for a first time player. Will enabling any of the DLC ruin it in some places, or just specific DLC will?

I also heard this game has a lot of mods to choose from, but are there any essential ones you'd recommend? Another game I played, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., had a lot of mods as well, but the community was pretty much in unanimous agreement that a mod called "Stalker Complete" was the best way to play, where it improved graphics, tweaked gameplay, etc.

I wonder if Fallout 3 has anything similar to that?

waramp19
06-11-2010, 10:52 AM
The Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch (http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3808) is a great way to fix a lot of little bugs that can ruin immersion and just tweaks gameplay in a few small ways (for example, unique guns can no longer be used to repair the common variety). it doesn't change the overall experience at all, so i would highly recommend it.

as for the DLC, go ahead and enable all of them, they don't interfere with the original story at all, they just add additional side quests. with the exception of Broken Steel, which continues the storyline after the original end of the game. that being said, i'm playing through the GOTY edition for the second time, and i've disabled the mothership zeta DLC. it was interesting the first time, but i don't think i want to do it again...

FlakyBiscuit
06-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Enabling the DLC's won't hurt the main story line until you've completed the original story. But as for having the best experience, I'd recommend playing thru the game without looking at walk through's and strategy guides.

I played thru it once without any help but when i decided i wanted to give it another shot, i used the walk through quite a bit and was amazed at how much stuff I missed. (Ex. unique weapons, unique armor, side quests, etc...) The second time was completely different, I found it very fun hunting down some of the unique guns and armor and doing pretty much everything possible you can.

Hope that helps! :)

BagofSnakes
06-11-2010, 11:20 AM
The Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch (http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3808) is a great way to fix a lot of little bugs that can ruin immersion and just tweaks gameplay in a few small ways (for example, unique guns can no longer be used to repair the common variety). it doesn't change the overall experience at all, so i would highly recommend it.

as for the DLC, go ahead and enable all of them, they don't interfere with the original story at all, they just add additional side quests. with the exception of Broken Steel, which continues the storyline after the original end of the game. that being said, i'm playing through the GOTY edition for the second time, and i've disabled the mothership zeta DLC. it was interesting the first time, but i don't think i want to do it again...

Yeah you don't need the unofficial patch as Steam patches this game to 1.7 which fixes eeverything in the unofficial patch and is more stable.

Kailieann
06-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah you don't need the unofficial patch as Steam patches this game to 1.7 which fixes eeverything in the unofficial patch and is more stable.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. At all.

First of all, Fallout 3 patch 1.7 didn't fix anything, it only added achievements for Mothership Zeta.

Second of all, none of the official patches fix anything that's included in the unofficial patch.

Thirdly, Steam doesn't patch anything with regards to Fallout 3. The Game of the Year Edition only comes in one version (1.7), but if you have the original edition, it has to be patched through Games For Windows LIVE, not Steam.

And finally, the official patches are far more likely to be unstable than the unofficial patch.

BagofSnakes
06-11-2010, 12:20 PM
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. At all.

First of all, Fallout 3 patch 1.7 didn't fix anything, it only added achievements for Mothership Zeta.

Second of all, none of the official patches fix anything that's included in the unofficial patch.

Thirdly, Steam doesn't patch anything with regards to Fallout 3. The Game of the Year Edition only comes in one version (1.7), but if you have the original edition, it has to be patched through Games For Windows LIVE, not Steam.

And finally, the official patches are far more likely to be unstable than the unofficial patch.

K have fun crashing your game by patching the steam version of Fallout 3 GOTY with the unofficial patch. Well that was my experience at least.

Regurgitated
06-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys! A great help :)

I'm a bit skeptical but I'll check out that unofficial patch, seeing as I did get this game through Steam, so I've skipped the patching experience so far...

I haven't experienced any problems yet (but it's probably too early to tell), just hope it won't add any.

Apparently Darnified's F3 UI and FWE are really popular mods, I think I will check them out. Hmm, so many to choose from though.

Mazuo
06-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Please ignore BagofSnakes as he doesn't have a clue as to what he's talking about. 1.7 makes no attempt to fix anything that the unofficial patch addresses.

The link provided to the mod at the Nexus has a separate file you can download that lists all the work they put in to fix what was broken in the original product. You can proceed to read about everything they changed. It's your choice whether to install it or not, but I'm certainly planning on it.

Kailieann
06-11-2010, 03:24 PM
K have fun crashing your game by patching the steam version of Fallout 3 GOTY with the unofficial patch. Well that was my experience at least.

The unofficial patch is a mod, plain and simple.

The way the game engine is programmed makes it literally impossible for a mod to make the game software any more or less stable than it already is.

And to be completely fair, the Gamebryo engine is a little unstable compared to things like Unreal and Source (hence why I said the official patches were more likely to cause problems). Sounds like you just had some bad luck.