PDA

View Full Version : Interest

It's ME!
06-12-2010, 12:58 PM
I notice that on some maps, the interest stops at some point during the last round. For example, the latest map, Roundabout, the interest stops at some point during round 25. I noticed this because I had around 11K in resources. The cores were 75% green and the rest were yellow. Under normal circumstances, that would yield me quite some interest, however during this round, it didn't.
Is this intentional? Is this a bug? Did anybody else notice this?

Destructo-Bot
06-12-2010, 01:31 PM
The interest stops coming a set time after the last alien enters the map. This is to prevent bouncing an alien around forever to get millions of points.

It's ME!
06-12-2010, 01:59 PM
The interest stops coming a set time after the last alien enters the map. This is to prevent bouncing an alien around forever to get millions of points.

:( I'm a sad panda.

pobst
06-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Yup, a feature since the game released. :)

We thought a long time on this problem. One of our goals of Defense Grid is to create a level where people can solve it the way they want to. Some people love to bounce aliens, others don't like that and find it boring. Our decision was to leave in that ability, but also cap its benefit so that it didn't become a requirement in order to get high scores.

Jeff

Destructo-Bot
06-13-2010, 12:15 PM
I agree with the interest rule, and I also think bouncing aliens is cheap. I'd have preferred an even stricter ruleset for bouncing... where they'll bull through a forcefield if you bounce them too often making it a potentially dangerous tactic that can backfire on you if you aren't careful.

PolarisOrbit
06-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Yup, a feature since the game released. :)

We thought a long time on this problem. One of our goals of Defense Grid is to create a level where people can solve it the way they want to. Some people love to bounce aliens, others don't like that and find it boring. Our decision was to leave in that ability, but also cap its benefit so that it didn't become a requirement in order to get high scores.

Jeff

I love that you want to enable choice, but don't you think that you're trying to have your cake and eat it too? Any time you can juggle (or bounce) in a TD, that strategy always ends up being best at least some of the time, especially when the creatures are slow moving or get stronger in some way as they move along (eg. spawner, turtle). Looking at the leaderboards, the number 1 slot on almost all maps that allow mazing- and therefore juggling- is someone who built hundreds of towers. That is, jugglers outscore non-jugglers. So it's really not an option.

nhcarpenter
06-13-2010, 03:17 PM
This may seem naive, but I'm missing something.

If each alien has a set point value and a finite amount of damage it can take; then what difference does it make when or how it is dispatched?

Sure I understand that the more reinforcements a seeker (spawner) can call in the more funds that can be raised. But how could one "bounce" and alien to start with?

minerva79
06-13-2010, 03:26 PM
This may seem naive, but I'm missing something.

If each alien has a set point value and a finite amount of damage it can take; then what difference does it make when or how it is dispatched?

Sure I understand that the more reinforcements a seeker (spawner) can call in the more funds that can be raised. But how could one "bounce" and alien to start with?

Imagine putting a mouse into a maze. There's only one exit to it. So as the mouse approaches the exit, you close it and reopen one on the other end. Now the mouse would be "bounced" to seek the new exit. Repeat, and you'll get a bouncing mouse.

The same thing applies for DG too.

Destructo-Bot
06-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Bouncing allows you to use weaker towers (less money spent) AND use more time to receive interest (more money earned). Selling a green gun is a net loss of 25 resources, with a high enough money pool that is easily earned back in interest and then some while the temporary tower is up.

That's why.

nhcarpenter
06-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.

Makes sence if ones goal is a high score.

For me most of the fun is in ironing out a strategy, or banging my head against a wall, whichever comes first.:D