PDA

View Full Version : One of the best games ever.

Immacolata
06-13-2010, 07:10 AM
One of the best games ever. (or: Internet forum hyperbole is your f(r)iend!)

I bought this thinking that it might have as much gameplay as the original, which I loved. And it turns out it has more! It'sgreat in almost all respects.

Heres why:

The constant shaking and explosions lends to the great impression that you're waking up on a ship about to go down like the Titanic. The dim lights, yeah, you're in no doubt that this is a crisis situation, even without having played the earlier titles.

The menus. Blurry, impressive, and plain awesome. I get that perhaps systems are damaged or something, and adding to the gloomy background drone, it is the old fashioned hollywood-mix of analog technology quirks (like static and CRT shake) with modern day computer powah.

Story. It's simply voice over at the end of each episode/chapter, whatever it is. Short and to the point. There is a thin story line that doesn't get in the way of the action.

Weapons. Theres five of them, and frankly I found each of them distinct and flavoured for my liking. ! I was utterly amazed at the different kind of knockback each weapon held so they were good for each their situation.

Spray a doorway with fire to prevent any alien from passing through. Nail 4 of them in a row with the spike gun, or just lay waste at close up range with the shotty.

The upgrades are generic but they lend you a tactical choice. More damage or faster spray - or reload? For shotty I found fast reload to be highly effective for mass slaughter.

For the LMG both dam and spray worked. For laser it was quite fun to have high speed firing, purple death all over the place!

Theres co-op. It's advertised, its there and it worked. I invited a friend with my guest pass and we played all 3 maps through a couple of times. What keeeps AB:I from being THE best game ever is the complete lack of variety or randomizing in the coop section. Think AI Director of L4D1/2

I felt rewarded when I got to the end, only so little had been covered. Where is this ghost ship from? What are those aliens? How come they have done research? I felt happy that I actually spent money on this game.

After decades of unimaginative worms crap, Team 17 should path themselves on the shoulders with this pile of budget gold . Compared to the original Alien breed it's a worthy continuation.

I suppose many of you think I am being too glowing in this, but I do feel really this game gave me great value. 20 hours spent for 13,5 euro is good VFM for anyone who likes to shoot aliens. A bit more replay value would be welcome for AB:Assault.

blackjackGT
06-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Well, it's a nice balance to the thread with the other name, but most of us fans are dismissed as "fanbois." :D

I hope they can address some of the co-op connection issues and control complaints (the latter don't bother me, but I'm in the minority) in THIS game rather than wait for the next episodes. I think that'll help ABI's chances to get some more sales.

Choggo
06-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Totally agree... with the exception of the blurry menu when out of stock... having loads of fun playing with my brother =D Kudos

Loved how the best/worst game arguments are the same =D

Goro_san
06-14-2010, 10:24 PM
what he (in 1st post) said!

After decades of unimaginative worms crap, Team 17 should path themselves on the shoulders with this pile of budget gold . Compared to the original Alien breed it's a worthy continuation.
especiali this