PDA

View Full Version : MTG-related, but not strictly about this game

radio_babylon
06-14-2010, 11:26 PM
ok i decided to post this here because it seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable MTG players, and id like a bit of advice.

i preordered this last week and reading through the forums got me to wondering if i still had my old cards... in the early 90s, dont remember exactly when, i bought two decks because a bunch of my friends were crazy for the game and wanted to get me in on it. i played maybe two games, decided it wasnt for me, and put my cards away. as it turns out, i DO indeed still have them (amazingly)... i took them to work friday and was just flipping through them with a guy that sort of played a bit and he seems to think some of them were valuable. he got particularly excited about the two mox jets, but there were some others he pointed out as well that i dont remember off the top of my head.

so anyway, these cards arent doing me any good wrapped up in a plastic bag in the attic. id like to sell the ones that are worth something, but i dont know the best way to go about this. are there reputable dealers that handle buying/selling cards? i dont want to get ripped off, but im kinda clueless about this stuff.

any tips would be much appreciated...

mantose
06-14-2010, 11:32 PM
If I were you , I would probably look for a price guide .. or maybe try looking on e-bay .. maybe these cards have been sold on there recently.

Just google for a price guide ... thats where I would start.

lLokhart
06-14-2010, 11:34 PM
If you sell them to a hobby store you're likely to get ripped off. To maximize your return you can find card prices here (http://www.findmagiccards.com/) and sell them yourself to friends, at conventions, or online(ebay).

radio_babylon
06-14-2010, 11:36 PM
yeah i looked on ebay, but the prices seem to vary widely... like the mox jet. some sold for $1300, others for $5-600, and others for like, $10. they all seemed the same quality-wise so i dont know why the variation. ill look for a price guide, but ive still got to SELL them somehow once i have some idea of the prices... and im not sure how best to go about that.

maybe ill go to the local indie gameshop and see if the owner has any ideas... he seems to be in to that kind of stuff...

edit: thanks ilokhart, ill check that out! i knew you guys would know what to do :)

Beaster
06-14-2010, 11:36 PM
eBay cards worth more than $40, sell the rest to your local gaming store in bulk

Larspcus2
06-14-2010, 11:37 PM
yeah i looked on ebay, but the prices seem to vary widely... like the mox jet. some sold for $1300, others for $5-600, and others for like, $10. they all seemed the same quality-wise so i dont know why the variation. ill look for a price guide, but ive still got to SELL them somehow once i have some idea of the prices... and im not sure how best to go about that.

maybe ill go to the local indie gameshop and see if the owner has any ideas... he seems to be in to that kind of stuff...

The differing prices on the mox jet have to do mainly with the edition that it was printed in. It was printed several times, and generally, older, black-bordered printings are worth more.

radio_babylon
06-14-2010, 11:40 PM
i think i have one black one and one white one (borders)... ill have to check, i dont have them with me, left them at the office. good lord though, just looking over some of the ones i remember, i ought to be able to make a decent chunk of change... i guess being a pack rat was good for something after all. who knew?