PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to build a self-sustaining economy?

HornetOne85
06-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Have anyone been able to build up an economy that can sustain itself after natural resources such as mineral and oil runs out?

While I'm able to finish the main quest in the game, whenever I continue until I run out of natural resources, my economy quickly crash :p

Any tips to building a stronger economy?

Hobo_mel
06-15-2010, 03:49 PM
I consentrate on factories that make more money, like a Cigar factory that is feed by several tobacco farms, A tree and Lumber and furniture indusrty, and a canning industry. all of which are fed my renewable resources.

bstard
06-16-2010, 05:18 AM
Tourism and farm based factories like rum/sigares will do the trick. But still once your city has grown too much the traffic jams will choke it to it's knees.

oddlaurence
06-17-2010, 12:57 AM
Depleting resources, like minerals or oil, are good at the begining because you need fast cash flow in order to grow. Also, developing it to industry provides extra income and working space. In Longer term, like Hobo_mel said, it's wiser to switch to renewable resuorses, like tabaco, cofee or logs (its partly renewable)and create industry chain again.High level tourism helps too. If you do this well and don't ecxeed your expenses, you should be able to maintain strong economy.

Blue_Wolf_Maz
06-17-2010, 04:38 PM
when all else fails, just cheat.

WildKarrde
06-24-2010, 09:26 PM
I always start off with any mines and oil available to me. But long term profits are made from factories. Yes, it is entirely possible to be self sustaining. One game I sustained myself 100% through tourists too... though that isn't exactly "self sustaining" to the letter.

The one complaint I had with the game was that there was no scenarios that lasted more than 50 years... sometimes I felt like I just got my island cranking, then it was over!

lyravega
06-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Anything that has a factory is really profitable, but as far as I've seen, best is Tobacco plantations + Cigar factories. Just make sure you have enough teamsters, so that you'll get a steady income.

About ratios, 3 tobacco plantations were enough to supply 2 factories (all factory workers & tobacco farmers were super at their jobs), and I was getting 30-80k income per ship. Enough to keep people happy.

Aside from factories, wood cutting is profitable at the beginning, and when you throw some lumber mills & furniture factories, you start to get very high income.

Cannery on the other hand, I don't think it's that much profitable. Even my TV station were able to beat a cannery in income-wise.

WildKarrde
06-25-2010, 06:30 PM
I made some pretty good money with canneries... but I had mostly pineapple, and coffee farms, along with a LOT of fish. It's not enough to live on, but it's a nice bonus.

Qlaras
03-18-2011, 05:40 PM
*Kicks dead thread back to life*

I always pause at the start of any map. Look for depletable resources - bauxite gets mined immediately; as there's no way to industrialize it and get more for my export.

El Presidente gets set to visit that Mine constantly (self-sustaining as its usually halfway across the map...he'll wander outside, then go visit again...keeping their production up indefinitely)

Then I start looking at whether I have better land for sugar or tobacco - then start farming that slowly while I build up the things to keep people happy (High School, THEN church - I'm NOT paying to import folks that aren't self-sustaining; same with College-ed: College, THEN clinic and Armory)

Usually by then I've got enough to justify a single industrial building, based on sugar or tobacco - but I never build pubs. (pisses off the religious something fierce, along with a handful of other buildings)

Restaurant, Childhood Museum, Gourmet Restaurant, Movie Theater, and if I have to, Ferris Wheel - enough entertainment for everybody, without pissing anyone off.

sryanz
04-04-2011, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't say the cannery is bad, the areas around the dock tend to be nice for pineapple. any excess fish u catch ( I usualy get a wharf so I am sure I can use food for the people ) will be canned and sold as well. and freeze dried coffee catches a reasonable price.

also you should have 2 college level workers on your island when you start the game